There will be construction of the house in game?

What gameplay do you envisage your base providing beyond "I can haz house"?
In NMS, I build small mining outposts on planets rich in valuable metals. I have a main base that acts as my exploration hub / research facility / greenhouse. I also sometimes build small observation outposts on planets with unique life, etc. Oh, and there's the new underwater bases and submarines!!! :D

In ED, there's a region in deep space I "own" that I'd love to set up a remote outpost at, especially if it had some sort of "Stellar Cartography" computer that allowed me to turn in exploration data, hangars to park some of my other ships, outfitting to change modules, etc. I would basically use it the way people currently are using things like that new station by Sag A.

The other reason I enjoy base-building in a game like NMS is that it gives me a whole lot of user-created content to explore. Do a search on NMS bases, and you'll see some amazing feats of architecture and clever design. I find player-added content way more interesting than the cookie-cutter stuff developers put in (seen one, seen one hundred). It would be really cool to come across player bases while out exploring in ED - I suspect they would be much more interesting than typical INARA bases, Guardian ruins, etc.

And once VR comes to NMS and I can walk around inside the bases I build.... YES!!!! But NMS is not ED. I wish it had realistic solar systems and ships and stations rather than simulating a Saturday-morning cartoon. However, I really love the base-building aspect of it, and would love, love, love to have this in ED.

In NMS, I build small mining outposts on planets rich in valuable metals. I have a main base that acts as my exploration hub / research facility / greenhouse. I also sometimes build small observation outposts on planets with unique life, etc. Oh, and there's the new underwater bases and submarines!!! :D

In ED, there's a region in deep space I "own" that I'd love to set up a remote outpost at, especially if it had some sort of "Stellar Cartography" computer that allowed me to turn in exploration data, hangars to park some of my other ships, outfitting to change modules, etc. I would basically use it the way people currently are using things like that new station by Sag A.

The other reason I enjoy base-building in a game like NMS is that it gives me a whole lot of user-created content to explore. Do a search on NMS bases, and you'll see some amazing feats of architecture and clever design. I find player-added content way more interesting than the cookie-cutter stuff developers put in (seen one, seen one hundred). It would be really cool to come across player bases while out exploring in ED - I suspect they would be much more interesting than typical INARA bases, Guardian ruins, etc.

And once VR comes to NMS and I can walk around inside the bases I build.... YES!!!! But NMS is not ED. I wish it had realistic solar systems and ships and stations rather than simulating a Saturday-morning cartoon. However, I really love the base-building aspect of it, and would love, love, love to have this in ED.

I get the 'remote exploration base' thing - I'd probably do the same - but it isn't really gameplay per se. It's just facilitating you doing the same things you do at a regular station, but in a galactic location of your choosing. Great for explorers, but not really anything for the more agoraphobic Bubble-dwellers.

Subnautica and Conan Exiles (which I've been playing a lot of since v3.3) both integrate base building into progression through the game, which gives meaning to the process, but without limiting what you can do with the bases - so you get gameplay from the basic building process but also have the ability to produce those amazing constructions that you love to see. Both these games were designed with base building part of the core gameplay.

Compare that with Fallout 4, where Bethesda bolted a 'Sim City' mechanic onto an established gameplay style and the result was (for me at least) an incoherent mess where bases added nothing to the core game.

I'm afraid that with nothing more to do with a base than 'build it somewhere' that we'd end up with something much closer to Fallout 4 than to Subnautica.

Wow, there are some very interesting and some toxic posts in only three pages of discussion thread.

Even though I haven't posted a YouTube thread on the subject, campaigned in Parliament square or taken out a full page ad in the Times, I would be interested in base building as an addition to Elite.

I would want planet bases only at this stage. 3D geometric positioning would (in my opinion) be unnecessary. Limit to the Commanders who have Horizons (another driver to upgrade from the basic game)

My Reasoning:
1) It would fit in nicely with Spacelegs when that arrives (not before). Why build a base if you cannot walk around it.
2) I would use it as a hub for all my activities. - Shipyard, Outfitting, Cargo store (if possible).
3) With the correct infrastructure, bases could become social hubs for wider gatherings (General Population, Squadron get togethers, Wing meet-ups, etc) - Think of it as the equivalent to Mos Eisley Cantina
4) It would give me an end game sink. Something to do when you have Elite in all the ranks, unlocked all the engineers, bought all the ships.
5) Make some of the features in-game rental and you have a way to remove credits from the accounts of players for a tangible function.
6) I would make the building part of the bases akin to the Project IDA work. After commencement of a particular add-on, certain resources would be needed to complete this work. (Another end-game reason to keep playing.)
7) If you were to constrain the number of active player bases on a planet or maintain a minimum distance between player bases then you could avoid the risk of overcrowding. (It would also, at the same time, reduce the complexity of trying to keep track of what has been built where on what planet by who.)

Allow me to "build" my ship using base-building mechanics (the interior), and this would go a very long way to scratch the itch. Heck, a Beluga is a flying luxury hotel, possibly with swimming pools and restaurants and who knows what, so it practically is a base.

Building houses and bases... yes but:
  • First we need atmospheric landing because I'm completely careless of building a base on an airless rock.
  • Second thing we need is spacelegs because if I can't walk inside my home/base then it's completely useless.
Let's define House/Base:

A small outpost with 3 modules: Landing Pad, House Module, Store Module
  • The Landing Pad (only one) hides the ship underground once landed (no turning platform, nothing special, just an elevator).
  • The House Module is a simple cube built on the surface with windows and a main door to go outside. Equipped with an entry, a kitchen, a bedroom, a toilet and a living room.
  • The Store Module is underground next to the landing pad where I can store up to 1000 tons of commodities.
  • A tunnel/hallway connects the 3 modules underground.
Services available:
Ship repairs
Interstellar factor

You can only build one, you can't colonize a sector with your own bases.
It requires commodities that you can buy and not materials to grind plus a construction fee (credits). It's built in one week (on server's tick) because it needs to be loaded on the Frontier's Server.
If you want you can relocate your base paying a fee (twice the construction costs remove/reinstall), but the materials are re-used. The further the more expensive. The base is relocated in one week (on server's tick). You can only relocate the base once a month.

%50 people want basebuilding? if you talk about you and me, yes then %50 of we want basebuilding lol
so, not %50 people want it, only a small fraction. ED is live atm, just read the comments, everyone wants space legs and AL

about space legs, I don't know I just exaggerated.
And about 50% they play other games not Elite Dangerous.
For example No Man’s Sky.
And if you make construction and Survival and collecting garbage then these people will see also Elite: Dangerous. These are your future buyers.
Here about what I. Among the current users you will find them a little.

Last edited:
Building houses and bases... yes but:
  • First we need atmospheric landing because I'm completely careless of building a base on an airless rock.
  • Second thing we need is spacelegs because if I can't walk inside my home/base then it's completely useless.
Let's define House/Base:

A small outpost with 3 modules: Landing Pad, House Module, Store Module
  • The Landing Pad (only one) hides the ship underground once landed (no turning platform, nothing special, just an elevator).
  • The House Module is a simple cube built on the surface with windows and a main door to go outside. Equipped with an entry, a kitchen, a bedroom, a toilet and a living room.
  • The Store Module is underground next to the landing pad where I can store up to 1000 tons of commodities.
  • A tunnel/hallway connects the 3 modules underground.
Services available:
Ship repairs
Interstellar factor

It requires commodities that you can buy and not materials to grind plus a construction fee (credits). It's built in one week (on server's tick) because it needs to be loaded on the Frontier's Server.
If you want you can relocate your base paying a fee (twice the construction costs remove/reinstall), but the materials are re-used. The further the more expensive. The base is relocated in one week (on server's tick). You can only relocate the base once a month.

Isn't that just the Gnosis parked in a hole? I'm not sure that's going to meet anyone's idea of 'base building'.

Isn't that just the Gnosis parked in a hole? I'm not sure that's going to meet anyone's idea of 'base building'.
That's my idea, a personal shelter. Nothing more than that.
I know many players want probably a fortress for their squadron. I'm mainly an explorer and airliner so I couldn't care much about that tbh.

That's my idea, a personal shelter. Nothing more than that.
I know many players want probably a fortress for their squadron. I'm mainly an explorer and airliner so I couldn't care much about that tbh.

Personally I'd be totally okay with that too - but I'm sure many people wouldn't.
It just goes to show the difficulty FDev will have if they try to implement base building - more salt, whatever they do.

The only thing close to base building I can think of that makes sense in Elite Dangerous is an automatic unit you drop from your ship. It unpacks into a temporary mining platform that gathers raw materials for you to pick up later. Like in Frontier Elite 2.

The only thing close to base building I can think of that makes sense in Elite Dangerous is an automatic unit you drop from your ship. It unpacks into a temporary mining platform that gathers raw materials for you to pick up later. Like in Frontier Elite 2.

Opens up the topic of surface mining again for me, you should be able to drop an automated mining unit on the surface of a planet set it active and then come back a while later and collect the contents.

Opens up the topic of surface mining again for me, you should be able to drop an automated mining unit on the surface of a planet set it active and then come back a while later and collect the contents.
It would have to raw materials only, nothing you can sell as most people don't agree with making credits while offline.

To answer Drew's question of what kind of game play beyond, player housing and having you own station services at a place of your choosing. I could see the invention of a more directly player driven power play type system similar to the Sovereignty system of EvE online. The concept that a player group can "claim" a planet, system, systems(constellation) , even whole regions. Which of course gives rise to the "Turf War" type game play.

However, Turf War game play only works when there is a finite amount of space to occupy, in EvE there are a set number of claimable systems, constellations and regions. In the case of Elite, the initial expression of this game play would be MASS colonization and development of areas with little to no conflict, given time these groups would likely get very entrenched in their positions, making conflict even more UNLIKELY. Because why fight an uphill battle to take a group's set of planets or stars that they've fully developed and have a fully operating military to defend, when you can just move around to another area which likely has whatever resource you're looking for and is empty and colonize there instead.

For the game play to get to the "Turf War" level, you would have to have many number of player groups controlling thousands possibly tens of thousands of systems before powers would "bump" into each other to even trigger a conflict. And the fact is, there AREN'T that many total players in the game.

And of course this is all based on the assumption this is taking place in open play. PG or Solo mode, there wouldn't be anyone else to run into.

So, IF Fdev was to design for this, for whatever reason. It would probably be better if they design this not for the "Turf War" aspect, because it would almost never happen, and design it more for the colonization and exploitation game play, which would be more PvE, in other words design it with harsh environs, challenging obstacles, where the ENVIRONMENT is what's trying to kill you/being uncooperative rather then a player or player groups.

Now admittedly this is pretty far away from the "classic" Elite Space Sim concept, so this would be an entirely foreign concept to Fdev, however it shouldn't be said this is completely absent in the space sim concept. In fact what constitutes a "Space Sim" is evolving as computers get more powerful and we can "simulate" more things about life in space.

I think what most people are probably thinking is something like X but with walking around and actually seeing your farms, factories, etc, working.

btw ps. I think the reason alot of folks are asking for more from their games, space sims especially is because I think humanity is collectively realizing it's about 700-1000 years behind the times due to the dark ages and are trying to artificially satisfy the instinct to want to live, work and operate in real outer space. In fact I would say this is something indicative of alot of gamers lately, every one wants more simulation of their favorite thing to do. Point of fact, I would venture to guess the moment that someone invents a fully programmable, customizable, immersive neuro-simulation, IE. The Matrix, but a matrix of their own invention and desire. That company is going to probably become the richest game company on the planet, potentially the richest company on the planet period. Because most people feel that 'reality sucks' and would much rather live an entire life in a much more fulfilling simulation where they can be a superhero, a space commander, a Jedi, etc. Anyway that's getting off into philosophy, but i digress because i think you get my point.

Last edited:
Elite Dangerous excellent game, but game is not completed, have include planets, but why they in game?
If there is no construction of base.
Not important as realizes(create) this Frontier
The main thing that it has appeared over time.
Just Frontier will not be able to compete in general with anybody, even with animation games if there is no construction.
And it means that game will be just buried in 2 years.
Just on the fact that it will not be able to compete with other games.
Game has to give many functions.
And people are ready to buy it.
This game has to be more popular, and in it has to play the whole world, not only those who play now.
That all people said that Elite Dangerous the best both on functionality and according to graphics.
Today about Elite Dangerous say a lot of bad. Because it is not popular game today.

Last edited:
I do understand the desires and while I can agree with arguments that we probably should have a stationary home...

We should actually be able to get up from our seat and perhaps move about inside each ship.
There could be opportunities to further populate or enhance a cosmetic only experience and share those with others for ships that offer multiple seats.

I'm not again the idea of some population on landmasses but I think I'd much rather be able to get up from my seat as step #1

Building houses and bases... snip

Why? It's not like we're lacking space 😅

And no to automatic relocation. If you want to relocate then build a new base.
You can always move the expensive equipment over and leave the structure empty.

Also instead of a construction fee, how bout a upkeep cost. You need to do a upkeep task at certain intervals to keep the base from degrading, this is free, OR you hire(and pay) npcs to keep your base from degrading if you are busy with other things.
If you leave your base without care, over time it will become a derelict(or perhaps disappear entirely to save server storage, though I doubt that is much of a problem these days..)

Last edited:
Top Bottom