Things you love about Elite Dangerous

The graphics

The sound design (stunning)

The freedom

It's Elite

The community

Blaming Tj for everything and anything...

This meme vexes me. Well, only a bit – probably because I don't know what they actually did that they needed to be blamed for. Sorry, I cut class that day and was likely out in the black. :eek:

The game? Pfft. This isn't a game, it's a way of life. It's the call of the void in the black. All else, well, that's for others to worry about, for the most part.

First person, space flight sim, with minimal piloting abstraction, that is also an MMO, checks a lot of boxes for me, even if there some oversimplifications and caveats.

The expansiveness of the setting. I've always been a sucker for scale.

The depth of the most basic parts of the piloting experience. It wasn't until my wife started dabbling in the game that I really understood the difference between someone who had never played such games before and someone who has been playing games like this for decades. All the little nuances that I take for granted and the ways they interact result in something more than the sum of it's parts.

Relative freedom of action.

Control possibilities.

Sound and music.

The fact that it will run well across a wide spectrum of hardware.

I've no interest in the Thargoids, for me the game shines when I'm alone out in the black, surveying uncharted systems, marking anomalies and cosmological oddities for no one's benefit other than my own, always wondering what's beyond the next jump... fantastic game.

There's much to love about ED, or so I feel.

Of note, and in no particular order - the wonderful sound-scape, the subtle yet involving flight model, the sense of (endless) scale, laughing my head off whilst bouncing over a planet in an SRV, exploring until one side of your view is nothing but blackness, the sights I've seen that no-one else will ever see in quite the same way, the tight feeling in your stomach when seeing your shields getting reduced, the smile I get seeing my bobbleheads 'nodding' madly, the sound of the exploration scanner, the sound of multiple multi-cannons and cannons chugging out streams of death, the serenity I feel when sat atop a rise in my SRV watching the nearest star rise/fall on the horizon, the relief when I dock at my home station, still in one piece, and wonder what excuse I can find for flying my Eagle, to realise that I don't need an excuse - I will, because I can.

1. Taught me about pure sandbox and made every other video game seem nothing more than a money making scheme going through the motions.
2. The flight model.
3. Trying to fly as close to the surface of a planet as possible and controlling my patience with boosting.
4. Being in space!
5. The type 9 and orca. Definitely not the type 10.

I like the *science*. Both the bits where the *science* is hilariously wrong (e.g. Mitterand Hollow's orbit, "airless ice worlds" with surface temperatures over 1000K and "Earth-like worlds" with Nitrogen Magma volcanism) and the bits where the *science* is surprisingly accurate (eg. "predictions" of Proxima B/Eden and the TRAPPIST-1 system).

Did you know that the ED Stellar Forge is capable of creating trojan moons and planets? The game's designers apparently didn't; there was a hand-crafted trojan system in the Eta Cassiopeia system in the earlier Elite games, but the trojanity was removed from ED, presumably because the designers thought the game couldn't handle multiple planets sharing the same orbit. Yet it can, because several procedurally-generated trojan systems have been discovered - including one I recently discovered myself.

Well dang it. Looking at what other people have said, I'm a bit stuck to add something new to the list.
All of the prior posts really, ED and Skyrim are the only 2 games I've consistently logged 30+ hours (Skyrim I've either started from scratch again, via either different platform or wiping the save game). There is still loads I've not done yet here and I do like that I can wing up with the other half as and when we want.

The fact that I can visit each and every one of the stars in this picture.

69ENBaB.jpg

(well, apart from a few out-of-range outliers)

The fact that I can visit each and every one of the stars in this picture.

(well, apart from a few out-of-range outliers)

...and that fuzzy H-shaped white patch in the background. That's the Large Magellanic Cloud, and you can't visit that yet, either.

Of course, the fact that it (and the two dozen or so other neighbouring galaxies) are still there in the game as background skybox objects is another +5 points for *science*!

...and that fuzzy H-shaped white patch in the background. That's the Large Magellanic Cloud, and you can't visit that yet, either.

Of course, the fact that it (and the two dozen or so other neighbouring galaxies) are still there in the game as background skybox objects is another +5 points for *science*!

Good point, well spotted.

Agree with all the above so here's a few that are above and beyond.

- The Fuel Rats, their concept of entirely altruistic gameplay and the whole operation which has grown from a bunch of us in a forum thread latching on to Surly Badgers idea of an anarchic collective into the well oiled thousand strong operation that you see today ... extraordinary and quite unprecedented in the world of internet gaming as far as I know.

- The Buckyball Racing Club, started by ElectricZ back in the beta with his inimitable series of Buckyball Runs, the craziest, most daring, foolhardy, creative and entertaining bunch of characters it's ever been my pleasure to encounter on a forum - fly fast my brothers and sisters of speed.

- The Frontier community team and especially Ed Lewis who is arguably one of Frontier's greatest assets, and a source of boundless energy and enthusiasm in the face of all nay-sayers ... you're a goddam rock star Ed!

- Live events such as Lavecon and the expo and meeting commanders and dev's in the flesh who, without exception, have turned out to be a nicer bunch of people then I ever would have imagined (despite your faces, age, height and/or gender rarely meeting my expectations). To quote Steve Martin from Roxanne ... I'd rather spend time with you lot than with the finest people in the world! :p

- Lave Radio, who've been brodcasting practically every week since the beta days (we're now at episode 180), I look forward to seeing that download appear every week safe in the knowledge that my next couple of commutes will be made oh so much more enjoyable and can be spent immersed in the ED universe.

- All the other creative people out there who are too numerous to mention (The Hutton Orbital crew, Radio Sidewinder, Obsidian Ant, etc, etc) ... if you suspect I've forgotten you then yes, this means you!

- All the outspoken voices on this forum who's passion both for and against this game keep me coming back in here day in, day out. I salute you all.

o7

Last edited:
The BGS, most specifically the ability to change the controlling faction of systems. Back in the days of FE2, this was the one thing I wished was in the game... all this time spent running missions against the Feds as an Imperial Naval Officer, and never seeing the borders shift.

The tangible mysteries as well (Things like the TS morse signals, TP and TL octal signals, Thargoid reactions to cargo).

Last edited:
The thing I love is watching griefers in Cutters/Corvettes combat logging when I interdict them in my Sidewinder.

All of this plus, how cool is when a new player I'm tutoring sees the Galaxy map for the first time and gets it.

They are like "ah, ok.. so, yeah I can go there... and?"
And then BAM it hits them "Oh...oooh.. OOOOH!"

Plus the difference in size between Galaxy and human bubble- the ships, the activities, the customisation...

It's a sweet, sweet gmae.

In all of my 34 years of gaming, I have never played one title for so long, breaking away from it very rarely to meet other friends who don't play ED.
It's the ability to play out a fantasy life that does it for me. I get so immersed and 99.9% of the time I forget about all the crap that goes on and enjoy it as a real life disconnect.
Thanks FDev, keep it up, I love this game.

For me its the community. I mean, the positivity on the forum is ubiquitous - you'd be hard pressed to find any negative threads because it's unanimously accepted that there are literally no faults with the design, coding, and implementation of this great game. Personally, I can't think of a single thing that could improve it.

Top Bottom