This has had me puzzled for a while now

No, you don't have to buy it again.

The steam launcher is just a wrapper for the game, I don't use steam but I believe the FD launcher is somewhere on your system.

As i have said before, i cannot log out without logging in, and i cannot log in without it knowing that i own the game

OK - you bought he game from Steam (first mistake but never mind it is OK we forgive you) so:

Logging-in to the launcher requires you to have a Frontier Account - this is free, just go to https://www.frontierstore.net/ and register

This might help: https://support.frontier.co.uk/kb/faq.php?id=259

N.B. Use the Elite Dangerous key first, not the Horizons one.

Now when Steam starts Elite Dangerous it opens the Elite Dangerous launcher - where you have to LOGIN (bottom left) - you do so using your Frontier Store account details - then you receive an email with a validation code which you paste into the awaiting launcher window. Now you have the option to install or run (can't remember if Steam does the install alreeady).

You do not need to go through that process again - although from time to time there will be game updates that require you to put in a new validation code.

I'm not sure if your really getting my problem, because i cant log in at all. it again refuses to say i own the game even after linking my steam in the frontier account settings on the website

Attachments

• why.PNG
    why.PNG
    22.4 KB · Views: 294
  • really.PNG
    really.PNG
    200.1 KB · Views: 333
  • ughhh.PNG
    ughhh.PNG
    20.7 KB · Views: 287
Yeah, i read the faq, no need to be a D about it
There is no option to view a CD key because i never got a CD key, i dont know if you dont get how the steam shop works

Yeah, i read the faq, no need to be a D about it
There is no option to view a CD key because i never got a CD key, i dont know if you dont get how the steam shop works

People are trying to help you - no need to be rude.

As @Factabulous says - look in your steam library, see Elite Dangerous, right hand side under LINKS click "CD Key" - it is not actually FROM a CD, it is just called that. When you click it a sub-window opens listing the game keys. You should use the "Elite Dangerous: Game Key" code to register on the relevant "your account" page in the Frontier Store. (Entering the Horizons one first used to cause problems, don't know if it still does.)

Here is from my (not installed) version:

Last edited:
I've got exactly the same problem. I can take direction, but the directions don't work.

There is no View CD Keys option on either menu.
Is this maybe because this is the £5.99 Steam sale product?

You have only purchased the Horizons expansion and not the base game, perhaps. I did that once. Make sure you have both.

I don't understand why you don't have the "CD Key" option under your "Links" menu. When you select "Properties" in that left-side sub menu you show can you see anything like this:

Steam seems really messed-up for some people. I am glad I don't have Elite actually installed under it. ;)

The Properties dialog does not have a DLC tab or any other tab that lists the products.

This is crazy confusing. I have Elite:

It costs £5.99 in the Steam sale.

That page goes on to say two things:

and

So what is in the Commander Deluxe Edition?

And that costs £11.99

I think it might be time to bring this up with Frontier tech support.

Top Bottom