This is how to do ship interiors..

Don't rely so much on Wikipedia. Especially for science facts. It's painfully wrong sometimes and you can end up looking daft. I'm still waiting for your explanation of how a tractor beam for cargo movement can be created using inertia :D

I DON'T CARE ABOUT TRACTOR BEAMS AND HAVE NEVER MENTIONED TRACTOR BEAMS SHUT UP ABOUT TRACTOR BEAMS

I literally am JUST pointing out that spin gravity, like they have on the rotating stations in the game, is artificially created and, ergo, is ARTIFICIAL GRAVITY from all scientific and factual senses.

It BAFFLES me that you are having such a massively hard time with what I'm actually saying to you. I mean I'm a POSTMAN and I get this.

Tractor Beams:

1672348364478.png

Yes, thinking about it I suppose you're right, a tractor beam would most likely involve some kind of artificial gravity. Still there are so many inconsistencies that a bit of handwavium could surely explain away the inconsistency (especially for the cause of immersive gameplay like stacking boxes). I mean we already have magnetic trash and pizza boxes, magical glasses or magnetic liquids, commanders that don't die and are magically transported across the galaxy into a new ship, etc.

AFAIK we can already levitate objects using sound waves..
And FTL communications to teledrive fighter.

nothing wrong with that definition.
I literally am JUST pointing out that spin gravity, like they have on the rotating stations in the game, is artificially created and, ergo, is ARTIFICIAL GRAVITY from all scientific and factual senses.
Yes and no
Yes, because inertia can indeed be used to imitate effects close enought to a gravitational field. However, this is a very ad hoc definition of artificial gravity. Basically, true artificial gravity would be to artificially recreate a small local gravitational field with a strength comparable to that of a planet like Earth.
No, because an acceleration is perfectly distinguishable from a gravity field. Precisely because an acceleration is linear and a gravitational field is not.

I'm still waiting for your explanation of how a tractor beam for cargo movement can be created using inertia :D
Well... not using inertia but using magnetic beam 😋

Not the way Braben and the game designers have defined artificial gravity. They have also explicitly stated it doesn't exist in game.
Yes, that's true. But we all know that's just an excuse not to implement ship's interior. The Alcubierre drive that is supposed to be used for supercruise needs both artificial gravity and artificial anti-gravity to work ;)
In addition, an inertial compensator would also be needed to avoid being crushed on the wall/floor/ceiling of the ship at every small change of trajectory and strong acceleration (like taking an acceleration of many C per secondes during supercruise 😏). And it's also something that is not supposed to exist in the ED universe.

However, this is a very ad hoc definition of artificial gravity.

It is THE definition, because it is based on how we can actually implement artificial gravity using our current technological level.
As soon as we get better tech, the definition of artificial gravity will get updated

No, because an acceleration is perfectly distinguishable from a gravity field.

If you are locked in a room in a ship constantly accelerating at 1g, will you be able to distinguish the acceleration from a gravity field?
short answer is: No (*)

*(Long answer is still No, but involves Einstein's equivalence principle and a lot of math that i will not pretend i understand)

If you are locked in a room in a ship constantly accelerating at 1g, will you be able to distinguish the acceleration from a gravity field?
Not that it's related to gravity or anti gravity in any way. A little known fact is that the entire Solar system is moving around the galactic centre at about 230 km/s, a pretty impressive speed and yet it appears that we are at rest and the rest of the galaxy is slowly revolving around us. :D

It is THE definition, because it is based on how we can actually implement artificial gravity using our current technological level.
As soon as we get better tech, the definition of artificial gravity will get updated
That's what i mean by ad hoc 😅
There is no reason to restrict the definition of artificial gravity to what we can actually implement using our current level of technology. Especially when we are talking about a video game set in the future with an arbitrarily much more advanced technological level. Unless you want to stick to your personal view of the subject and be absolutely right.

*(Long answer is still No, but involves Einstein's equivalence principle and a lot of math that i will not pretend i understand)
Short answer (without involving math) : Yes. I just need to try putting an object in orbit ;)

Best tell all the scientists then.
Say the guy who just quoted the first few lines of an over-vulgarised wikipedia article :ROFLMAO:
By the way, some speculative works (like el famoso Alcubierre engine) need artificial gravity without involving inertia to work. So, don't worry, they already know ;)

Last edited:
I DON'T CARE ABOUT TRACTOR BEAMS AND HAVE NEVER MENTIONED TRACTOR BEAMS SHUT UP ABOUT TRACTOR BEAMS

It BAFFLES me that you are having such a massively hard time with what I'm actually saying to you. I mean I'm a POSTMAN and I get this.
He strikes me as a guy who just struggles admitting to being wrong, no matter how obvious it is or how trivial the subject. Best to just shake your head and ignore him,it's just never ending shifting goalposts, straw men and whataboutisms from him now.

The forum is like your favourite pub.

Over there, leaning at the bar in his usual place, is the bar bore, droning on about something that you've heard about from him 1000 times. You know exactly what you are going to get from him if you have the misfortune of striking up a conversation. And its very hard to get away.

But you keep on going in, even so.

For any SubnauticaVR players - the recent update to 2.0 gave me a good performance boost, and the VR Enhancements mod has been updated to work with the new release (and has just been updated again to fix a main game black-screen issue that was occurring after about 30mins play).

I like X4's use of a big electromagnet to attract cargo and components into your cargo hatch when you're in close proximity. It's a technique I've used to remove nails from my burn pile (old wood pallets), and that's fighting 1G real gravity, so magnets work!

Dude, you butted in to the discussion about the suggestion of using tractor beams, I stated why it can't be done (because Braben said there's no artificial gravity in the Elite universe). Calm down.

I like X4's use of a big electromagnet to attract cargo and components into your cargo hatch when you're in close proximity. It's a technique I've used to remove nails from my burn pile (old wood pallets), and that's fighting 1G real gravity, so magnets work!
On aluminium? Plastic? Liquids?

Back
Top Bottom