This is how to do ship interiors..

Short answer (without involving math) : Yes. I just need to try putting an object in orbit ;)
There's a good lecture on YouTube about relativity and the closed-fold sailing ship thought experiment. But if you're in a revolving drum in zero-G try throwing a ball - it doesn't behave the way it would in gravity.

Anyway. Braben said there's no artificial gravity in Elite, so that's an end to it.

I'm worried about the drinks in the glasses in the outposts...
Ahh, we're talking about two different things then. FWIW I totally agree with you regarding drinks, trash, and all the other silly "this is not what zero-G looks like" contrivances in Odyssey.

There's a good lecture on YouTube about relativity and the closed-fold sailing ship thought experiment. But if you're in a revolving drum in zero-G try throwing a ball - it doesn't behave the way it would in gravity.

Anyway. Braben said there's no artificial gravity in Elite, so that's an end to it.
Judging by the hair, the drinks staying in the glasses, the litter on the floor, the magnetic pants we all seem to wear, and the fact that we aren't crushed to a pulp flying our space ships Braben is mistaken in his statement. There appears to be both anti gravity and inertial dampening in the Elite universe.

In retrospect I'm sorry to have trolled and derailed the thread by mentioning using tractor beams to stack cargo containers..!

Judging by the hair, the drinks staying in the glasses, the litter on the floor, the magnetic pants we all seem to wear, and the fact that we aren't crushed to a pulp flying our space ships Braben is mistaken in his statement. There appears to be both anti gravity and inertial dampening in the Elite universe.

In retrospect I'm sorry to have trolled and derailed the thread by mentioning using tractor beams to stack cargo containers..!
Apology accepted, I hope others in the thread are able to move on from the rabbit-hole, too :D I think we aren't crushed to a pulp in Newtonian space (sub-Supercruise) because we're forced to be seated in those specially-shaped seats. In Supercruise of course, it's an Alcubierre field and so all bets are off.

Would now be a good time to mention that Frontier Elite 2 & Frontier First Encounters had tractor beam cargo scoops? 😂
4DB5A190-4E44-4685-994A-022126CE43D2.jpeg

If I remember correctly, FE2 even had a lightning style visual effect that grabbed the cargo container along with a brrrzzzztttt sound effect 😁

Would now be a good time to mention that Frontier Elite 2 & Frontier First Encounters had tractor beam cargo scoops? 😂
View attachment 340173
If I remember correctly, FE2 even had a lightning style visual effect that grabbed the cargo container along with a brrrzzzztttt sound effect 😁
Not canon any more. Like lots of lore and tech from the earlier games.

Back
Top Bottom