This is what it costs to transfer ships to Colonia

if it makes you feel any better I laid out over 1B cr on Prismatic shields just so I could store a few when I broke my alignment to the power play faction

I did that too :D I bought at least one of each class, still got a load left. My class 8 Prismatic cost almost a quarter of a billion on its own!

Stealthie

Banned
The cost of moving a ship should be roughly equivalent to the value of a passenger mission to Colonia plus an insurance fee.
This would be balanced and believable.

I dunno why I keep reading this sort of comment.

It's like saying that because you can buy a plane-ticket to Singapore for £650, it should cost British Airways £650 to transfer a Boeing 747 out there.

It's like saying that because you can buy a plane-ticket to Singapore for £650, it should cost British Airways £650 to transfer a Boeing 747 out there.

I'm quite happy with how much it cost me and, although it was frustrating, how long it took for them to fly there. It took me from November to April to earn the cash to buy the ships and pay the transport costs.

So far as I'm concerned that's five months of productive gameplay, during which I would probably otherwise have got monumentally bored.

Elite Dangerous is not, never has been, and never will be, about instant gratification and easy gameplay. That's precisely why I've been playing it for years, and will continue to play it for years to come :)

Last edited:
Holy moly! That's a trifle on the excessive side. Hopefully costs can be cut to more reasonable levels soon.

The tourists are getting a very cheap ride out there.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I plan to migrate my alt commander out to Colonia in much the same manner as the OP. I have a slightly more modest fleet of four that I plan to eventually transfer there once I decide to stay. Given my time to play, it would simply take me too many months to shuttle them out there so transferring them is very attractive to me. Credits are so easy to come by, the time savings for me is worth it. So I'll take my highest value ship out, a Conda, and transfer the others as I need them.

If the 1.3X factor holds, it should cost less than 500M space bucks for my other 3 ships. Sure I'd like a lower transfer cost but it's not totally prohibitive.

Seems perfectly balanced and pretty reasonable to me.

So if you want to get a Corvette out there... And then decide to bring it back.... 2 billion CRs?

It seems the prices need to be plateaued at a far lower level IMHO!

Ultimately what's the point of offering this mechanic if it's simply far cheaper to buy the ships locally and move modules across? Where's the impetus to invest "care" in your ship, when the game is trying so hard to make you sell it, and just rebuild it again?

Last edited:
That's a trifle on the excessive side.

Disagree.

The tourists are getting a very cheap ride out there.

Ever bought a plane ticket?

Ever tried to ship a large automobile overseas? How about a larger conveyance? How about further than overseas? Low-Earth orbit perhaps...

Yeah, it's the most idiotic argument I've seen posted more than once.

Ultimately what's the point of offering this mechanic if it's simply far cheaper to buy the ships locally and move modules across?
The transfer prices for Viper IIIs and Type-6s (the largest currently purchasable in Colonia) are sufficiently small that transferring one from the bubble won't break the bank.

The prices for transferring something which cannot be purchased locally - and is considerably more powerful than anything which can be - are certainly high, but this makes "do I transfer it or do I go fetch it?" an interesting choice rather than an automatic one. I think it's good to have the occasional optional charge which makes even the billionaire with a fleet of Corvettes, Cutters and Anacondas pause to consider -- but since the cost is proportional to the original cost of the ship, it's not a problem at all for less rich players transferring small (or even most medium) ships, where you can make it back while waiting the 3 days for the ship to arrive.

Why would you transfer it back? It's much cheaper to buy and equip a new one.

You could ask, why would you transfer any ship there, which you can buy out there?

I still think the prices are (needlessly) too high and need ramping significantly down.

Last edited:
Given the sad state and implementation of MultiCrew... Its too bad you can't similarly hire another CMDR to ferry your ship wherever you want. It could be part of the mission boards except it would a real player requesting a real ferry flight...

- The Ferry Pilot would have to bond you a rebuy up-front (in case he lost the ship) and then would get it back (plus the Ferry Fee) when the ship is delivered.

- The Ferry pilot would have to deliver the ship within a certain time.

- There would need to some sort of mechanism to ensure you kept your ship intact (and not stolen, etc). Maybe remote destruction of the ship with subsequent cashing of the misbehaving Ferry Pilot's fronted rebuy bond.

- Of course, the ferry pilots also need some protection from being trolled and blown up just for lulz...

Just noodling here...

I'm quite happy with how much it cost me and, although it was frustrating, how long it took for them to fly there. It took me from November to April to earn the cash to buy the ships and pay the transport costs.
So far as I'm concerned that's five months of productive gameplay, during which I would probably otherwise have got monumentally bored.
Elite Dangerous is not, never has been, and never will be, about instant gratification and easy gameplay. That's precisely why I've been playing it for years, and will continue to play it for years to come :)

In fairness it doesn't have to take too long to raise that kind of cash. But if you think it's a lot, I'm still collecting money now for when they eventually allow us to buy and build out own outposts. THAT will cost a lot of money! :)

5 months of work is a completely excessive LONG TIME, dude. Especially for a feature that's supposed to be a quality-of-life enhancement.

Should a transfer across half the galaxy require a reasonably high amount? Sure. But prices that exceed the price of the ship itself are not reasonable.

See here for a better-balanced version of pricing: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...s-are-Nutty!?p=4683240&viewfull=1#post4683240

The boeing counterargument is the truly ridiculous one. The reason it's so expensive in real life is... FUEL. FUEL IS FREE VIA SCOOP IN ELITE DANGEROUS. IF FUEL IN REAL LIFE WERE CHEAP, TRANSPORTING A BOEING WOULD BE CHEAP TOO. Ah muh gawd.

Edit: If you chartered a plane which is essentially what the passengers are doing, you're paying out the butt. Suddenly it is comparable to moving a boeing depending on the size of the plane.

Last edited:
ALL my ships are fully equipped, A-rated, and fully engineered.

I know this is a common question so I'm posting here for reference :)

That seems quite reasonable?

- - - Updated - - -

The boeing counterargument is the truly ridiculous one. The reason it's so expensive in real life is... FUEL. FUEL IS FREE VIA SCOOP IN ELITE DANGEROUS. IF FUEL IN REAL LIFE WERE CHEAP, TRANSPORTING A BOEING WOULD BE CHEAP TOO. Ah muh gawd.

That simply is not true.
This is not just 'fuel' cost, it is also time cost for someone doing the action. Doing something you do not want to do yourself. And no "but this is a game" is not a valid reply to why it should be cheap because it is an npc doing it.
It is a game set in a realistic universe, yes, there are technologies that do not exist yet, but most is based around actual science and is not 'magic' so yeah....

And you are entirely dismissing just how insane a distance you are covering to Colonia.
A fairly realistic comparison, is compare getting your car moved half a meter, vs getting it moved to paris, that is the SCALE we are talking about in distance alone, and no please don't say "but it isn't that expensive to get it to paris" because I'm talking about scale only.

Last edited:
And you are entirely dismissing just how insane a distance you are covering to Colonia.
A fairly realistic comparison, is compare getting your car moved half a meter, vs getting it moved to paris, that is the SCALE we are talking about in distance alone, and no please don't say "but it isn't that expensive to get it to paris" because I'm talking about scale only.

https://www.google.com/search?q=price+of+moving+a+car+to+paris&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

I dare you to find me quotes that is more than the price of a new car.

That simply is not true.
This is not just 'fuel' cost, it is also time cost for someone doing the action. Doing something you do not want to do yourself. And no "but this is a game" is not a valid reply to why it should be cheap because it is an npc doing it.
It is a game set in a realistic universe, yes, there are technologies that do not exist yet, but most is based around actual science and is not 'magic' so yeah....

Well it just is what it is. Some people seem to have tremendous difficulty accepting what life throws at them, and that there are some things that just are... and that they can't or perhaps even shouldn't change.

Top Bottom