Today's update broke my game.

After updating the game early today, all I could do after it opened, was move the selected item, in the main menu. My keyboard, controller, and even my mouse buttons wouldn't work. All I could was literally hover the mouse in the main menu. That's it. I can't go into any of the items, hence was unable to go check and reset keybinds. I have a feeling the update wiped all keybinds. Not just reset them, WIPED them. Why would an update do this?! I guess, a better question would be, why would a game, in 2020, not be able to make sure that there's an active set of default keybinds, when it runs? I'm so frustrated. I spent hours redownloading and reinstalling the game, to see if that would work, and it still has the same issue. Is there a manual way to get default keybinds? And how do I apply them? Please help. This is so frustrating.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    330.7 KB · Views: 134
Exit the game

Your bindings should be here:
%LOCALAPPDATA%\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous\Options\Bindings
OR
c:\users\'youruser'\APPDATA\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous\Options\Bindings

What file do you see? Copy all to a different location and restart the game

Exit the game

Your bindings should be here:
%LOCALAPPDATA%\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous\Options\Bindings
OR
c:\users\'youruser'\APPDATA\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous\Options\Bindings

What file do you see? Copy all to a different location and restart the game

The folder is not there. I've tried validating files using Steam, and the game launcher, and they clear, but it doesn't supply the missing files.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 104
After updating the game early today, all I could do after it opened, was move the selected item, in the main menu. My keyboard, controller, and even my mouse buttons wouldn't work. All I could was literally hover the mouse in the main menu. That's it. I can't go into any of the items, hence was unable to go check and reset keybinds. I have a feeling the update wiped all keybinds. Not just reset them, WIPED them. Why would an update do this?! I guess, a better question would be, why would a game, in 2020, not be able to make sure that there's an active set of default keybinds, when it runs? I'm so frustrated. I spent hours redownloading and reinstalling the game, to see if that would work, and it still has the same issue. Is there a manual way to get default keybinds? And how do I apply them? Please help. This is so frustrating.
That's what ED does if you don't change the name of your bindings.
Read Strontium Dog's tutorial

To get your bindings back there is a chance that System Restore could get them back for you.
Navigate to the Binds folder and Right Click select Properties and Previous Version tab. If System Restore backed it up you can restore it to a previous date.
{The usual warnings about backing up etc. }

I never had these issues. There is a bindings folder somewhere. Perhaps search your harddisk for it. I think system restore is not a tool for this.

More knowledge should be on its way :)

Is this the droid I'm looking for? If it is, which one of those would an X Box One controller be under? Honestly, thanks for the replies. I'm quite new to Elite, and I didn't know it had problems with something as basic as keybinds.

Attachments

• 4141.jpg
    4141.jpg
    226.5 KB · Views: 98
I just realized, that my gpu info overlay, wasn't showing up on the upper right corner of my screen, when the game is running. That's unusual, as it normally does. And there's a green bar at the bottom, and right side of the game window. Also, I ran the 1.0 combat tutorial, and it ran fine, no support for controller, but it ran fine with kb and mouse. I'm honestly at a loss, to what this is. The game was completely fine, before today's update. So frustrated. Spent all day trying to fix this.

After I ran the 1.0 combat tutorial, the directory was created, but it only had this inside the file. The problem still persists. Sigh.

Attachments

• 5125.jpg
    5125.jpg
    266.1 KB · Views: 96
I've just fixed it. I did some digging on other apps that are running, and found out that my firewall was blocking one of the game's components. It's running without problems now. Thank to everyone who tried to help. Weee!
Also make sure all devices are connected prior Elite launch, for example if I start game when my joystick is disconnected -> game resets to default.
So 1. ensure all devices are connected. 2. launch game.

To get your bindings back there is a chance that System Restore could get them back for you.

That will never work.

Windows System Restore only backs up:
a) Windows registry
b) Device drivers
c) Local windows user profiles
d) Some .exe and .dll files that you probably don't care about

Stuff in appdata does not get backed up.

Windows System Restore points aren't a replacement for data backups. It's usefulness is limited to data corruption which prevents you from logging into windows, and rolling back windows updates.

Last edited:
That will never work.

Windows System Restore only backs up:
a) Windows registry
b) Device drivers
c) Local windows user profiles
d) Some .exe and .dll files that you probably don't care about

Stuff in appdata does not get backed up.

Windows System Restore points aren't a replacement for data backups. It's usefulness is limited to data corruption which prevents you from logging into windows, and rolling back windows updates.

But it works. For me, anyway.

This happened to me once a long long time ago, since then after every update before entering the game proper I re-apply my controls/graphics/audio/network in the options on the first screen. No idea if it helps or not but it hasn't happened again so it has become a sort of ritual now. :D (y)

Top Bottom