In-Development [Tool] SRV Wave Scanner Object Identifier

Now, what I've started doing is a website tool that aims to guide and assist all the SRV-buggy riding players out there, in identifying the different wave scanner signatures that you can encounter.

The wave scanner identifies objects in two ways; radar sweeping (visual) and noise (auditory). I've gathered a few of the most common signatures in both visual and auditory regards and put them together to something that hopefully is of help to you all.

You can find the tool at http://www.wavescanner.net

Here's a screenshot of it

View attachment 94445

The tool is simple. You can do the following

• Toggle a signature visually by clicking the checkboxes
  • Toggle the auditory signature by clicking the play buttons
  • Buttons auto hide after 5 seconds inactivity. Clicking/tapping anywhere on the screen will make them appear again.

This is also animated, so it has a sweeping scanner that passes over the scanner area, much as you would recognize from the SRV in-game. When the scanner sweep hits a signature, the audio for that signature will play, making it a bit more game-like.

There are some limitations, that I'm trying to address

• Making it mobile friendly (this is currently mostly for desktop, but can still work on mobiles, although not the best experience)
  • The signature catalog both visual and auditory needs expanding
  • Make it possible to toggle distance

I hope you'll have use for this, I've had some really good comments coming in from the Distant Worlds Skype chat and Google+ Elite Dangerous community, but I'd also like for you all to be aware of it.

I am _always_ up for suggestions to improve the tools I do publish, so please don't hesitate to speak your thoughts on how it can be made better.

Until next time, CMDRS
//SHELLSTROM

Last edited:
Repped and bumped.
And responded so I can find it later.

Worthy effort.

Ive had a mere handful of landings.
My kid was home today, so he set off in the second account, and we went to the nearest surface outpost.
But it was hardly more than two lamp posts and a shed.

But it I know there's stuff to be found.

Thanks Shellstrom. That is an awesome tool.
I am currently taking a break from Elite, but once I get back to it... probably around 2.1 I will make good use of your wavescanner tool.

Nice idea however I still think the scanner is far to abstract/low tech for such a time period of the game.

After all, if the scanner knows the difference (because the sound changes slightly) then it should at least be able to give you 2 things.

1. Distance to contact. This one should be an easy one as the signal is being reflected back so a range estimate would be essentially free especially in a atmosphere-less environment.
2. Visual indication with a probability estimate of what the object is likely to be. Obvious the closer you get the more accurate the determination and probability.

Nice idea however I still think the scanner is far to abstract/low tech for such a time period of the game.

After all, if the scanner knows the difference (because the sound changes slightly) then it should at least be able to give you 2 things.

1. Distance to contact. This one should be an easy one as the signal is being reflected back so a range estimate would be essentially free especially in a atmosphere-less environment.
2. Visual indication with a probability estimate of what the object is likely to be. Obvious the closer you get the more accurate the determination and probability.
What the developers have tried to do is to gamify the process of detecting and identifying what's around. The information that you're after is there in the data, but it isn't presented to you directly for the same reason that Frontier haven't created a tool like the OP. The idea is that you spend some time chasing down these shadows of data, learning how to extract the signal from the noise. Once you've done that your efficiency should improve. Unfortunately while people play the game in a goal-oriented manner (i.e. making the most credits in the least time) there'll always be a desire to skip what they see as being tedious distractions.

IMO Frontier now have the right approach. Exploration should *always* have had something like this, so rather than the point-and-honk or point-and-wait discovery/scan mechanics we have now, a more skill-based approach to exploration would have led to a deeper gameplay experience. Using something like the wave scanner to identify signal sources, stars, planets, asteroid belts, etc. is what the game should have had to begin with.

What the developers have tried to do is to gamify the process of detecting and identifying what's around. The information that you're after is there in the data, but it isn't presented to you directly for the same reason that Frontier haven't created a tool like the OP. The idea is that you spend some time chasing down these shadows of data, learning how to extract the signal from the noise. Once you've done that your efficiency should improve. Unfortunately while people play the game in a goal-oriented manner (i.e. making the most credits in the least time) there'll always be a desire to skip what they see as being tedious distractions.

IMO Frontier now have the right approach. Exploration should *always* have had something like this, so rather than the point-and-honk or point-and-wait discovery/scan mechanics we have now, a more skill-based approach to exploration would have led to a deeper gameplay experience. Using something like the wave scanner to identify signal sources, stars, planets, asteroid belts, etc. is what the game should have had to begin with.

I can see what you are saying and I largely agree with the sentiment but it feels like an artificial limitation. I guess as a compromise, maybe they should offer upgradable scanner modules for the SRV or even make such capabilities as I describe available to other SRV types when they are added to the game. The Scarab could be the entry level buggy.

A big thanks to all of you for your kind words and rep!

I will be developing this further to make it better adapted to mobile devices and tablets!
Thank you for pointing out that it doesn't work on the iPad in regards to the sounds, I'll definitely look into fixing that!

And I promise, as sooooon as I get something solid on the barnacles, I'll be sure to make it pops in there! :D

As mentioned before, I'm up for suggestions so don't hesitate to call when you think of something!

//SHELLSTROM

Last edited:
oho! nice!
good idea and good tool; with all the new and upcoming tools the community implement E-D seems to get a bit more depths.... that's fine!

I've updated the scanner and included the signature for Barnacles.

I'm also going to add ship signatures. This signature seems to be exactly the same no matter if it's a shipwreck or a fully functional ship. If someone knows any different, please correct me.

Top Bottom