Top 75% receiving engineered module means the CG never reaches tier 5

When FD started introducing double engineered modules as a reward for the top 25% the CGs used to reach tier 5.
Ever since the introduction of the top 75% receiving the reward the CGs never come close to tier 5...the only exceptions are the combat CGs that complete within a couple of days due to the insanely low tier 5 target.

The issue is that Cmdrs do just enough to secure a top 75% spot, then stop. There's no real incentive to carry on, they have their double engineered module, so why continue. Obviously there are the "die hard" CG participants that push on, but it's futile.
This can be seen in the Inara CG progress, where the top 25%+ have contributed vastly more to the CGs progress than anyone else.

There are obviously ways that this can be addressed:

1. Switch back to only the top 25% get the module
2. Change to top 75% get it and tier 5 is hit
3. Reduce the progress required to hit tier 5
4. Something else?

So, point me at where people 'stopped'

1613035211863.png

Answer : They didn't. They never do. Independent of what the reward is. Or where the rewards are set.

CG targets tend to be set so they don't finish early, because people turn up late and whine. That is why CGs don't tend to hit the top tier. Plus the fact it doesn't matter at all once they hit T1.

When FD started introducing double engineered modules as a reward for the top 25% the CGs used to reach tier 5.
Ever since the introduction of the top 75% receiving the reward the CGs never come close to tier 5...the only exceptions are the combat CGs that complete within a couple of days due to the insanely low tier 5 target.

The issue is that Cmdrs do just enough to secure a top 75% spot, then stop. There's no real incentive to carry on, they have their double engineered module, so why continue. Obviously there are the "die hard" CG participants that push on, but it's futile.
This can be seen in the Inara CG progress, where the top 25%+ have contributed vastly more to the CGs progress than anyone else.

There are obviously ways that this can be addressed:

1. Switch back to only the top 25% get the module
2. Change to top 75% get it and tier 5 is hit
3. Reduce the progress required to hit tier 5
4. Something else?
The commanders in the top percentage groups are there because they have provided more than those in the lower percentage groups which is how it has been since somebody invented maths which was long before CGs.

Plenty of incentive to hit tier 5 in the just completed CG as it would have increased the discount for the tech broker version of the missile launcher.

The commanders in the top percentage groups are there because they have provided more than those in the lower percentage groups which is how it has been since somebody invented maths which was long before CGs.
I'm not disputing that. But the the people below the top 25% did just enough to secure I top 75%. The amount the top 25% did is vastly disproportionate to the rest of the contributors.

That flat period followed around 18 hours later by the peak hand in on Monday then 24 hours after that with Tuesdays peak etc?

The obvious stop point is at 160 hours.
No, I'm not interested in peaks, peaks mean diddley squat what analysing data like this. Look at the volume that was traded in the 1st 1/2 of the CG (Area under the graph), much more was done and as soon at ppl secured the top 75% they stopped.

That depends on whether they are competing or not.
Nope. Not at all. There hasn't been a standard combat CG all on it's own without another trade CG running side by side. The combat one always finishes after a few days. Always.
ED playerbase: 14,542,516 (Source: https://mmo-population.com/r/elitedangerous)
CG Contributors: 5,719

So why punish these few people who participated?
There are ways to address this by not "punishing" anyone. The fact that the top 75% get it also means the bottom 25% are "punished" by your definition, but you're ok with that?

There are ways to address this by not "punishing" anyone. The fact that the top 75% get it also means the bottom 25% are "punished" by your definition, but you're ok with that?
Oh, c'mon, in this CG the margin to enter 75% was literally half cargohold of bromellite, max 2 hours of playing even for total miner noob. Whoever can't do that really don't need engineered missile anyway.

Oh, c'mon, in this CG the margin to enter 75% was literally half cargohold of bromellite, max 2 hours of playing even for total miner noob. Whoever can't do that really don't need engineered missile anyway.
The same could be said for top 25% ;) Really easy target to hit due to people just doing enough.

No, I'm not interested in peaks, peaks mean diddley squat what analysing data like this. Look at the volume that was traded in the 1st 1/2 of the CG (Area under the graph), much more was done and as soon at ppl secured the top 75% they stopped.
That's a uh .. odd definition of "stopped". A far more likely explanation is the first half contains the weekend. The mid-week participation was pretty good this time though.
Just curious, what was the source of this graph?
I'd like to see the graph for the trade CG for the Expansion into the coal sack nebula that completed on the 15th Nov, where top 25% got the double engineered FSD.
Not Factabulous, but it can be measured and stored and graphed. I'm doing it too:
jPkjriD.png

Sadly I only started doing this in December, or I'd show you the FSD one.

So we have 5,719 contributors.
4290 are getting an engineered module.
Which leaves 1429 empty handed. Bar the cash price everyone is getting.

One way to address it would be:
Tier 1: Top10% are getting the module
Tier 2: Top25% are getting the module
Tier 3: Top50% are getting the module
Tier 4: Top75% are getting the module
Tier 5: all participants are getting the module

However if the goal is set too low, like when it was the double engineered FSD, the CG finished by Sunday morning because everyone just went all out to get their goods in. Those who didn't play Th/Fr/Sa missed out.
So even with my model, I'm OK to awarding the module to "only" the 75% of the participants, but at least everyone has a chance to contribute, and not miss out because the CG or the reward is super popular.

Top Bottom