Totally sick of this

What am I doing wrong? I spend a lot of time doing exo-biology grinding. In every single session I lose my srv at least once! I travel in my srv to the next specimen, disembark... black screen. I have let the black screen go for four hours (went grocery shopping, moved the grass, ran other errands) came back and still the black screen. So waiting it out is out. The only recourse is to exit to the main menu and log back in. When I do my F-ing SRV is back on my ship and I'm on foot far away from my ship and srv! What in the hell am I doing wrong here? Any ideas on how to correct this? This never happens in the bubble when visiting settlements, only when in deep space working exo-biology. This cannot be happening to everyone otherwise no-one would bother with exobio stuff. I have a very nice pc Ryzen 9 5900X, RTX3060, 16GB ram. I can play Star Citizen, MS Flight and other games and nothing like this happens. Any help would be much appreciated.

What have I tried? Reinstalling the game. Playing with no third party apps running (nothing but ED). Reducing graphics to low and at lower resolutions. Moving my steam library to a faster internal drive. Monitoring my usual 100mbps internet connection for drops in throughput. Using a variety of ships to land on planet surfaces. Playing in solo, open, private group. I don't get orange sidewinder, black adder or other disconnects, just this black screen. I am at a loss.

Du kannst dein Schiff ,zu dir Rufen ... Drücke etwas länger die Taste Q (2 sekunden) .,...links im Bi9ldschirm erscheint dann ein auswahlmenue ,welches du mit w und s bewegen kannst ...Wenn das Schiff ausgewählt ist ,kannst du es Fortschicken und wieder zurrückholen (im gleichen Menuepunkt ) ..Sollte das Also passieren ,schickst du dein Schiff Weg und holst es kurz später wieder Zurrück . Es sollte dann in deiner Nähe landen .

Same problem here.

Someone in this forum told me that I shouldn't worry, because "...that's just a nuisance, it's not a really serious problem". 😒

I guess FDev thinks the same, seen what I've seen with U14.

The problem is not on your side, it's a game problem. The exact same thing happens to me when I do combat on foot: I arrive at the settlement with my SRV (after having traveled several kilometers) I get out of my SRV and BAM! black screen and all that remains is to restart the game.

I understand you, I feel like you.

Last edited:
Never happened to me, had it happen once, and I do mean only once, disembarking from ship, that was due to network issues, that's usually when this sort of thing happens, the problem is how can you blame FDEV when thousands of players who have been playing for years do the exact same thing and never see the same problem. If it happens to some people then you need to isolate the cause, not just blame someone else.

The problem is not on your side, it's a game problem. The exact same thing happens to me when I do combat on foot: I arrive at the settlement with my SRV (after having traveled several kilometers) I get out of my SRV and BAM! black screen and all that remains is to restart the game.

I would agree if it happened to almost everyone, but it doesn't, so it's not a game issue, but there could be a common cause which will never be found if you just say "it's a game issue."

What am I doing wrong? I spend a lot of time doing exo-biology grinding. In every single session I lose my srv at least once! I travel in my srv to the next specimen, disembark... black screen. I have let the black screen go for four hours (went grocery shopping, moved the grass, ran other errands) came back and still the black screen. So waiting it out is out. The only recourse is to exit to the main menu and log back in. When I do my F-ing SRV is back on my ship and I'm on foot far away from my ship and srv! What in the hell am I doing wrong here? Any ideas on how to correct this? This never happens in the bubble when visiting settlements, only when in deep space working exo-biology. This cannot be happening to everyone otherwise no-one would bother with exobio stuff. I have a very nice pc Ryzen 9 5900X, RTX3060, 16GB ram. I can play Star Citizen, MS Flight and other games and nothing like this happens. Any help would be much appreciated.

16 GB ram is not much nowadays. For a decent gaming PC you need at least 32 GB ram. So that could be an issue. Also, upgrade your drivers for the GPU. Maybe disable anti-virus, anti-malware software and other unnecessary programs before you play ED.

It is very old bug with black screen and return SRV to ship without You onboard. One from many others.

Never happened to me, had it happen once, and I do mean only once, disembarking from ship, that was due to network issues, that's usually when this sort of thing happens, the problem is how can you blame FDEV when thousands of players who have been playing for years do the exact same thing and never see the same problem. If it happens to some people then you need to isolate the cause, not just blame someone else.

I would agree if it happened to almost everyone, but it doesn't, so it's not a game issue, but there could be a common cause which will never be found if you just say "it's a game issue."

Of course, when things go wrong, the easiest thing to do is blame the player. That's a lot easier than fixing faulty code.

The player who responded to me on this issue pointed out that the problem had been in the game for a long time, long before U14.

Excuse me, I'm a new player, I'm just learning what happens here. If in this same forum they tell me that the problem has been going on for a long time, I would probably believe it, considering what an absolute disaster EDO was.

having had similar, but I at least did get a time out as in it finally errored and gave up a snake
that happens a bit, it is net or server or both related

yours sounds like lack of ram to complete.
many things can easily make that happen.
EDO uses/wastes far more ram than 3.8

Of course, when things go wrong, the easiest thing to do is blame the player. That's a lot easier than fixing faulty code.
... and you did just exactly that, the other way around.
OMG gaem braek, developer have no idea what they are doing!

🤷‍♂️

P.S never had srv exit black screen/crash issue. And I'd say I have a fair bit more than an average amount of hours in this game since the start

Of course I did.

EDO has been a mess full of bugs and inconsistencies since its release. On Steam, on Google and on YouTube the reviews have annihilated EDO. And you want me to think that a black screen will be the player's responsibility, rather than bad Fdev code?

Do not make me laugh. 😆

🤷‍♂️

P.S never had srv exit black screen/crash issue. And I'd say I have a fair bit more than an average amount of hours in this game since the start

Yep, the correct course is to look up what other players are having the same issue and see if you can track down a common cause, try suggested fixes from other players and see if anything helps, there are a lot of troubleshooting steps before that, the last thing you do is suddenly start blaming someone because what that does is immediately kick the can into the garbage where no-one is going to pick it up and it will never get fixed.

As I said I have had it happen once, that was all during Horizons era, the OD beta and OD full release and up to now, and I know it was a networking issue because when I checked afterwards my internet was down for everything. If there's a connection issue the game will appear to run fine even up to a few minutes, except the moment you try and change instance, hyperspace jump with the endless tunnel, black screen exiting ship or SRV sits there because it can't load data for the new instance, it may have actually been a problem for a few minutes but that's when you notice it, not necessarily when it happens. So you might kill the process or restart, and by that time the temporary connection glitch is over and everything seems to be running fine, but you actually lost connection a minute ago.

So you run a tool that logs the internet activity and see if there has been any funny spikes of glitches while you were playing, you can even set them to just check activity on a certain port so can watch the ports the ED uses to eliminate that as an issue, but just to say "it's your fault" doesn't help. You can say, "there's a problem and I need help to fix it," but if I am your tech and you say "it's your fault, fix it" that immediately cuts out at least 50% or more of the tests I can run to try and find the issue.

Of course I did.

EDO has been a mess full of bugs and inconsistencies since its release. On Steam, on Google and on YouTube the reviews have annihilated EDO. And you want me to think that a black screen will be the player's responsibility, rather than bad Fdev code?

Do not make me laugh. 😆

As I already said, if that was the case then we would all the experiencing them, we aren't, some of us never experience them, ergo it may be FDEV's fault, or it may not, but you are never going to find out!

Top Bottom