Transactions: BGS Guide Best Current Thinking

Are there missions that don't impact influence despite the mission text stating otherwise?

E.g., murder doesn't have an effect during an election, but a murder mission will most likely spawn during an election. Is the influence gained on this murder mission a straightforward influence gain? Is there no influence gained/ lost at all?

Interesting to see that this is spinning back up at least from my perspective. I've been gone for a while so for others maybe it's old hat. The last time I was involved in BGS was over 2 years ago. There was an active discussion on transactions and their impact, I got frustrated when in a ticket FDEV essentially discounted all the evidence and simply stated how it was designed to work, versus how we had shown it was working. Given the inherent complexity there was just no point in digging into it if we had to fight their flawed perception as well.

If there's a renaissance in BGS digging I could probably get interested in that.

Jane Turner

Volunteer Moderator
For the record we have inadvertently tested (re-confirmed) the effect of Bounty hunting without dropping the bounties in system and it is exactly 0

We've got a war on elsewhere and have been using a CNB to generate bounties for the last three days in 2 systems - so 20 drops of 500k -1million

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/243606936820383745/456582639059468290/unknown.png

No communnist ships were shot (to preserve reputation) but >100 of other factions have been removed. No change at all!

I've got two sort of unrelated questions regarding transactions:

1) Any testing done on how Search and Rescue Contact influences transactions? I have some vague recollection that these are just sort of setting groundwork for possible career path, but wondered if there's been any effort to see if it effects the BGS.

2) If a bounty claim is generated in a system you are trying to lower controlling faction's influence, does turning in at Interstellar Factor reduce that claims' influence? Or is it best to ignore that bounty claim?

I've been playing ED for quite some time, but only recently have been trying to fathom the BGS. Any help appreciated.

1) Any testing done on how Search and Rescue Contact influences transactions? I have some vague recollection that these are just sort of setting groundwork for possible career path, but wondered if there's been any effort to see if it effects the BGS.
I would guess probably the same as trade, but haven't tested it.

2) If a bounty claim is generated in a system you are trying to lower controlling faction's influence, does turning in at Interstellar Factor reduce that claims' influence? Or is it best to ignore that bounty claim?
Turning in at an IF in a different system means it has no influence effect.

I know this has been discussed before, but I'm looking to waste as little time as possible in cz's, as I find them boring/tedious.

The impact on inf from war bonds gained in a cz is very weakly related to the bond value (say, above 10k-ish for the minimum). At least I think that's right.

As an example, turning in 10 bonds for 20k each, is much more effective than 4 bonds of 50k.

For higher pop (2B) systems, it still is true, right?

edit* I just saw the "thresholds for bounties and bonds" thread. If I read that right, what I said is accurate, although I should probably get 100k per bond, just to be sure.

Last edited:

Jane Turner

Volunteer Moderator
Population size is irrelevant in terms of the amount of bonds you need to drop in order to get the maximum effect for the shystem, which you will hit at around 10 drops, all that changes is the amout you can gain gain per tick.

EXCEPT that in large population systems there is a much higher chance of being backgroud BGS activity which will dilute the effectiveness of those 10 drops. You may have to go to much larger numbers of drops and still not reach the ncrease that you would have got with 20 in a quiet system.

I know this has been discussed before, but I'm looking to waste as little time as possible in cz's, as I find them boring/tedious.

The impact on inf from war bonds gained in a cz is very weakly related to the bond value (say, above 10k-ish for the minimum). At least I think that's right.

As an example, turning in 10 bonds for 20k each, is much more effective than 4 bonds of 50k.

For higher pop (2B) systems, it still is true, right?

edit* I just saw the "thresholds for bounties and bonds" thread. If I read that right, what I said is accurate, although I should probably get 100k per bond, just to be sure.

Kill ships outside of CZ. Faster and more efficient.

Quick question on the effects of trade. I understand that it doesn't matter how many different goods are bought in one system and then sold in another. However, if there is a profitable trade loop between two systems, does this mean that if cargo A is bought in system 1 and traded in system 2, multiple times (multiple individual trips between systems) is there an influence benefit each time that cargo A is traded for a profit, or are the subsequent sales ignored?

So Jane, due to the changes to the way exploration data is handled, will there be an update to this list in regards to the "roughly the same galactic impact" portion of the patch that talks about exploration?

I always look forward to your findings.

Jane Turner

Volunteer Moderator
Quick question on the effects of trade. I understand that it doesn't matter how many different goods are bought in one system and then sold in another. However, if there is a profitable trade loop between two systems, does this mean that if cargo A is bought in system 1 and traded in system 2, multiple times (multiple individual trips between systems) is there an influence benefit each time that cargo A is traded for a profit, or are the subsequent sales ignored?

You have to have sold all of your goods from a location and buy new ones before a new transaction registers.

Jane Turner

Volunteer Moderator
So Jane, due to the changes to the way exploration data is handled, will there be an update to this list in regards to the "roughly the same galactic impact" portion of the patch that talks about exploration?

I always look forward to your findings.
I missed Dav in the live stream but several people have now told me that Dav said roughly means exactly. If we detect a difference I will come back with it here!

I missed Dav in the live stream but several people have now told me that Dav said roughly means exactly. If we detect a difference I will come back with it here!

Thanks! I'm making my way finally back to my LHS 20 system with about 2k systems in tow... so i'm hopeful.

Follow up question
If I visit 10 different systems and buy a different commodity in each to trade in a single system, is that classed as 10 transactions or one at thr destination system?

Last edited:
Follow up question
If I visit 10 different systems and buy a different commodity in each to trade in a single system, is that classed as 10 transactions or one at thr destination system?

Yes, it would be 10 transactions as long as the profit margin is above the low end cutoff believed to be around 400cr per transaction.

It would also be 10 transactions if you bought the same commodity from 10 different systems and sold them all at once in another system as long as the profit margin is reached.

Yes, it would be 10 transactions as long as the profit margin is above the low end cutoff believed to be around 400cr per transaction.

It would also be 10 transactions if you bought the same commodity from 10 different systems and sold them all at once in another system as long as the profit margin is reached.

Would it be possible to get some advice on the effect of mining. One of our systems has a Pristine Metallic ring right near our base. How does selling mined metals work? Any advice on how to maximize this situation?

Thanks

Jane Turner

Volunteer Moderator
Would it be possible to get some advice on the effect of mining. One of our systems has a Pristine Metallic ring right near our base. How does selling mined metals work? Any advice on how to maximize this situation?

Thanks
We've not tested it beyond that there is an effect.

My expectation is that it follows the same pattern as trade. So a sale counts a transaction (1 in all states but war (0) and boom (2)), and that sale is one to all of your cargo and variety within it doesn't matter.

We've not tested it beyond that there is an effect.

My expectation is that it follows the same pattern as trade. So a sale counts a transaction (1 in all states but war (0) and boom (2)), and that sale is one to all of your cargo and variety within it doesn't matter.
Interesting. So mining is an exception where if you mine in system A, and sell in system A, you get inf effect. Whereas trading requires commodities from outside the system. Do I have that right?

Top Bottom