Transfer modules from a ship to another.

So I start off by saying that fully engineering a ship with low jump range *cough* Corvette is annoying and time consuming, while I enjoy the possibility to fine tune ships in almost every way possible, jumping hundreds of lightyears from an engineer to another is not that enjoyable.

My solution was to equip those modules to a ship with a high jump range like Anaconda and bring them to engineers, but then I have to juggle through the outfitting menus a lot. Unless a complete rework of the outfitting menu is on the way, there should be an option to switch X module from ship Z to ship Y if both ships are in the station. Would be more useful if we had outfitting profiles, to switch between builds with a click of a button, I won't mind a wait time proportional to the amount of modules switched. Maybe even save these profiles locally to be exported or imported from/to coriolis.io.

So I start off by saying that fully engineering a ship with low jump range *cough* Corvette is annoying and time consuming, while I enjoy the possibility to fine tune ships in almost every way possible, jumping hundreds of lightyears from an engineer to another is not that enjoyable.

My solution was to equip those modules to a ship with a high jump range like Anaconda and bring them to engineers, but then I have to juggle through the outfitting menus a lot. Unless a complete rework of the outfitting menu is on the way, there should be an option to switch X module from ship Z to ship Y if both ships are in the station. Would be more useful if we had outfitting profiles, to switch between builds with a click of a button, I won't mind a wait time proportional to the amount of modules switched. Maybe even save these profiles locally to be exported or imported from/to coriolis.io.

Using Module Transfer is easier.

Although much of this faff is reduced by Remote Engineering (apart from the Experimentals).

Using Module Transfer is easier.

Although much of this faff is reduced by Remote Engineering (apart from the Experimentals).

You mean transferring the modules I want to modify to another station close to an engineer?

Remote engineering is great, but when you have several modules to upgrade you still have to visit every engineer.

You mean transferring the modules I want to modify to another station close to an engineer?

Remote engineering is great, but when you have several modules to upgrade you still have to visit every engineer.

No, I mean directly to the Engineer - Module Transfer uses Outfitting, not the Shipyard.

What I did before the Engineering revamp is buy lots of modules of various classes and put them in storage.
Whenever I actually visited an Engineer, I'd use Module Transfer to bring all the relevant types of unengineered module to that Engineer.
Then when you are there in a ship that can fit that module, you can engineer it, and put it back in storage.
Then, when you need an engineered module for a new ship, you just transfer it back from the Engineer.

e.g. I could transfer all my Thrusters to Palin at the first visit and after they arrived I could engineer all the Thrusters that I could use on that ship.
I ended up visiting 3 times to engineer all classes because larger ships can't use small thrusters or the enhanced thrusters.

But for things like FSDs, you can fit any smaller size to any ship, so visit in the largest ship you have, engineer them all.

Last edited:
Whenever I actually visited an Engineer, I'd use Module Transfer to bring all the relevant types of unengineered module to that Engineer.
That's exactly what I also do. It saves a lot of time and effort. Remote engineering is nice, but lacks one aspect: special effects. For that, and only that, I still sometimes fly to engineers to have them added. Which I then usually do in bulk.
e.g. I could transfer all my Thrusters to Palin at the first visit and after they arrived I could engineer all the Thrusters that I could use on that ship.
I ended up visiting 3 times to engineer all classes because larger ships can't use small thrusters or the enhanced thrusters.
Actually I also have fully engineered thrusters by now without going to Palin. I have dirty drives pinned from Palin, so I can get any new thrusters from G1 to G5 before even leaving the station. And for the special effect I go to Deciat. That's much closer and Lady Farseer can add them just as well.

Actually I also have fully engineered thrusters by now without going to Palin. I have dirty drives pinned from Palin, so I can get any new thrusters from G1 to G5 before even leaving the station. And for the special effect I go to Deciat. That's much closer and Lady Farseer can add them just as well.

Yup - that's what I'd do now.

No, I mean directly to the Engineer - Module Transfer uses Outfitting, not the Shipyard.

What I did before the Engineering revamp is buy lots of modules of various classes and put them in storage.
Then when you are there in a ship that can fit that module, you can engineer it, and put it back in storage.
Then, when you need an engineered module for a new ship, you just transfer it back from the Engineer.

But for things like FSDs, you can fit any smaller size to any ship, so visit in the largest ship you have, engineer them all.

Yeah you're right, don't know why I was thinking you need shipyard at the engineer, maybe from all this ship switching.
I understand what you're saying, it's a great idea. But you still have to equip transferred modules to the ship you're traveling with to engineer them, then store them back and have them transferred back to home station.

What I was thinking was something like this, I need to engineer ship X, transfer modules from it to a high jump range ship visit all the engineers I need, then travel back and transfer engineered modules back to ship X. Then I only need to switch to the engineered ship once and it's ready to go. Instead os switching back and forth between ships to store and equip modules.
So I only want less time spent in menus and more efficient management of modules.

If I don't have money for a 8A power plant, but I have one equipped on a ship, I need to switch to that ship, go to outfitting, store and replace the module, then switch back to the ship I want to equip it, then go to outfitting again. When we could select an option to switch modules from docked ship to the ship we're in, all from a single menu, without the need to change ship.

Yeah you're right, don't know why I was thinking you need shipyard at the engineer, maybe from all this ship switching.
I understand what you're saying, it's a great idea. But you still have to equip transferred modules to the ship you're traveling with to engineer them, then store them back and have them transferred back to home station.

What I was thinking was something like this, I need to engineer ship X, transfer modules from it to a high jump range ship visit all the engineers I need, then travel back and transfer engineered modules back to ship X. Then I only need to switch to the engineered ship once and it's ready to go. Instead os switching back and forth between ships to store and equip modules.
So I only want less time spent in menus and more efficient management of modules.

If I don't have money for a 8A power plant, but I have one equipped on a ship, I need to switch to that ship, go to outfitting, store and replace the module, then switch back to the ship I want to equip it, then go to outfitting again. When we could select an option to switch modules from docked ship to the ship we're in, all from a single menu, without the need to change ship.

Yup - the whole outfitting / module management leaves a lot to be desired.
I think you're coming at it from a ship-based approach - you have a specific ship that you want to engineer.
I was already at the point where I had several ships that I wanted to engineer.

Some modules are far more important than others, so it made sense to me to go for a bulk approach on those.

I still end up doing the trek around for the lesser modules, but by then I have a maxxed out FSD.
The limitation on this is module storage - that forces a focus on the more important modules.

At this point I'd just like FD to let me remote engineer grandfathered modules - they're a proper ballache.

it would be in the category of QoL, it is not needed, but in some cases, moving modules between ships is something we need todo, especially if we need to use ships to store modules/weapons/etc on.

I hope they can look stuff like this when they get around to fix the whole stored modules thing....

So it basically boils down to this, instead of "select ship A, store modules B, C, D, switch to ship E, equip modules B, C D" you want to just have "select ship A, move module B, C,D to ship E"?
It would be a nice quality of life upgrade. But while that sometimes might be useful, it's not something I'd use so frequently. And i think i am not alone here. Only ever so often do you buy a new ship and completely engineer it. All the same, this would probably require some UI rework and plenty of crosschecking, so it's not like it's a lazy afternoons hackjob.
That's why I in the end don't like this too much. I've seen plenty of other good suggestions here, which in my eyes would have more of a positive impact on our gaming experience. So while the idea here is not bad, I'd consider it to be of rather low priority.

That's why I in the end don't like this too much. I've seen plenty of other good suggestions here, which in my eyes would have more of a positive impact on our gaming experience. So while the idea here is not bad, I'd consider it to be of rather low priority.

I agree completely it's not top priority, it bothered me a little because I recently started to engineer ships and got tired of changing seats so much.
But this could go along with outfitting profiles which I suggested back in march https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/413142-Outfitting-Profiles?p=6492724#post6492724 and was probably suggested a lot earlier as well.

All I'm saying is the outfitting menu could be better designed to make module switching/equipping easier.
I wonder if all these great suggestions posted here will ever come to the game.

Top Bottom