tried pillaging in anarchy sellement : didnt go well

so first time i try pillaging on foot.
went to an anarchy system. cloned a level 3 access. and went into the habitat.
there, i meet someone. so i shoot her. she died within 2 seconds...
and then, all guards came to me, whole setlement in alarm. and got killed.

i thought going to an anarchy system would let me kill people while pillaging. but i ended dying, having to repay a full ship even though i sent the ship away
and now i have a fine of 280 000 CR for crime...

absolute horrible experience.

So...you went to an anarchy system... shame on you for that in the first place. The thing is: Within an anarchy system there could be non-anarchy settlements. Have you checked that the settlement you went to was also belonging to an anarchy faction?

Well I checked several videos on Youtube yesterday instead of playing. Focusing on learning how to find engineering mats "by foot"

First issue : most people doing those videos are using fully engineered suits. They can do jumps.. I'm nowhere doing in my G1 suit. They of course also have fully engineering weapons, that are SILENT. Well, my guns are not engineered and not silent at all. It's easy to make videos explaining that "finding mats is easy" when you're doing it from fully G5 engineered suits with fully engineered weapons...

The video I used told to go to an anarchy system and that checking on lower left panel the system was anarchy was all that was needed.
I did NOT check if the setlement was anarchy or no, assuming all settlements in an anarchy system would also be classified as anarchy level.

Coming back in the game, after not playing for 2 years
And trying to learn finding items in settlements.
It's like pushing forks into my eyes.

And those stupid videos from fully engineered chickens not keeping in mind some of us are stuck with no engineered weapons and ty suits...

I've been going around to find G3 suits. I'm not even trying to engineer further those, I'm just trying to fetch materials without getting killed in loop in settlements.
And it's not going well. To the point of being close to going back to the Horizons versions of the game and throw that Odyssey to the dustbin.

I've been going around to find G3 suits.

Follow this thread 👇 people are posting their findings. Just make sure that if you grab something you will drop a note in thread so other dont go there for nothing.
(But you do need to be quick - sometimes the findings are gone in less than 10 minutes)

Well I checked several videos on Youtube yesterday instead of playing. Focusing on learning how to find engineering mats "by foot"

First issue : most people doing those videos are using fully engineered suits. They can do jumps.. I'm nowhere doing in my G1 suit. They of course also have fully engineering weapons, that are SILENT. Well, my guns are not engineered and not silent at all. It's easy to make videos explaining that "finding mats is easy" when you're doing it from fully G5 engineered suits with fully engineered weapons...

The video I used told to go to an anarchy system and that checking on lower left panel the system was anarchy was all that was needed.
I did NOT check if the setlement was anarchy or no, assuming all settlements in an anarchy system would also be classified as anarchy level.

Coming back in the game, after not playing for 2 years
And trying to learn finding items in settlements.
It's like pushing forks into my eyes.

And those stupid videos from fully engineered chickens not keeping in mind some of us are stuck with no engineered weapons and ty suits...

I've been going around to find G3 suits. I'm not even trying to engineer further those, I'm just trying to fetch materials without getting killed in loop in settlements.
And it's not going well. To the point of being close to going back to the Horizons versions of the game and throw that Odyssey to the dustbin.
Just do the non combat stuff in Odyssey after all there is nothing in Horizons you can’t do in Odyssey.

You can get relatively easy materials by going to a system in bust, infrastructure failure or civil unrest(those are the three that I remember, at least) and take missions to power settlements back up. Perfectly legal loot and the only combat you should have to do is occasional scavenger presence/drops. Which you can handle reasonably easily by taking a Scarab and picking them off as they rush to you across open ground like donkeys. Sometimes one by one. Or just take them out from a safe distance as they walk around the settlement and some come looking for the noise that is killing their friends.

Use Inara to find restoration missions, much better for getting materials and not making all the anarchy factions extinct: https://inara.cz/elite/nearest-misc/?ps1=Sol&pi20=6
Put some dumbfire missiles on your ship to nuke the scavengers from orbit if they're present. On-foot, stealth is the way.
Audio masking is the best mod for taking out NPC-s silently without alerting every last one of them to your presence. Noise suppressor is good, too, but you fight much less enemies indoors, so if you're after premodded stuffz or just starting out with engineering, prioritize audio masking.
Manticore Tormentor is awesome for stealth combat. Takada Aphelion is the best long-range rifle and still cuts through scav armor like red hot knife through warm butter. Takada Zenith with stability mod is the best laser SMG. Eclipse has way worse accuracy, Zenith is automatic fire pistol and as such is more useful as an laser SMG for Maverick suit that pairs extremely well with Karma C-44.

If you want to pillage:
Buy some g3 gear (although not essential)
Buy some e-breaches.
If there are goliaths present, run away to somewhere else.
Since your skills do not appear to be sufficient, do not try yet to turn off the alarms first.
Land away from the settlement, drive to it in the SRV, to the landing pad. Park in the middle of the landing pad and ensure that there is nothing behind you.
If sentry skimmers are present, start by shooting them.
The alarms will go off and guards and some non guards will rush to you and shoot.
Shoot all targets presented, and if the shields are getting low, reverse out of range so that they can recover. Then return to engage the enemy.
Check the SRV contacts panel to see how many guards are left. If there are any, drive around until you can shoot them.
Once the guards are gone, time to dismount loaded with e-breaches.
Check the bodies and scan to clone the security ID. Level 2 or 3 might be found, but there will be npcs in buildings with that clearance.
Clear the buildings one at a time, cloning the best id available. REMEMBER to have your shields ON!
The PWR building is a good place to start as there will often be a npc with level 3 security, or the CMD.
Now might be a good time to turn the alarms off. The terminal will let you know where it is located (as will the layout maps).
If unsure where the remaining npcs are, check the terminal. A noisy weapon is often useful when clearing buildings as the npcs will often hear the firing and run to you to be shot.
It is up to you whether you loot as you go along, or wait until all the enemy are gone.

Do you want to know more?

Steve.

Last edited:
killing in anarchy zones will not give you notoriety. all other repercussions still apply. that means npcs will still retaliate when attacked, sound alarms and overall cause a little ruckus when shot in the face (not hard enough)...

as beforementioned there are assets in anarchy systems controlled by non-anarchy factions, as well as anarchy faction assets in non-anarchy systems. ownership of the particular asset is what you generally are looking for.
the way i do it (in game) is:
system map > factions tab > look for anarchy faction to select > see all their assets listed (if they control any) and pick a target
you can use inara for a bit better search

when at settlement one of the first things you want to do is turn off alarms. this will make your life much much easier. learning how to turn off alarms effectively is one of the best skills you can learn for your ody mat shopping. this cmdr has pretty neat video tutorials for solving various settlements.

deaths will occur... ^^

I'm just trying to fetch materials without getting killed in loop in settlements.
Perhaps, instead of following "the idiot's guide to farming anarchy settlements" (you didn't go to Aria's mine, did you?), for now, it may be better to pick up some restore missions instead?
Yes, you will get opposition, but they should be reasonable enough to take care of - just get them apart, don't try to be Rambo, and take them out. You are then free to pillage the settlement once you have restored the power. Just listen for dropships while trotting around stuffing your pockets.

"when at settlement one of the first things you want to do is turn off alarms."

The OP appears to currently lack the skills and experience to do it this way. Given time, he will gain the skills necessary, and until then he is likely to wind up critically injured or in prison.

I would recommend that the OP stick to inactive settlements until he gains more skills and experience.

Steve

Use Inara to find restoration missions, much better for getting materials and not making all the anarchy factions extinct: https://inara.cz/elite/nearest-misc/?ps1=Sol&pi20=6
Put some dumbfire missiles on your ship to nuke the scavengers from orbit if they're present. On-foot, stealth is the way.
Audio masking is the best mod for taking out NPC-s silently without alerting every last one of them to your presence. Noise suppressor is good, too, but you fight much less enemies indoors, so if you're after premodded stuffz or just starting out with engineering, prioritize audio masking.
Manticore Tormentor is awesome for stealth combat. Takada Aphelion is the best long-range rifle and still cuts through scav armor like red hot knife through warm butter. Takada Zenith with stability mod is the best laser SMG. Eclipse has way worse accuracy, Zenith is automatic fire pistol and as such is more useful as an laser SMG for Maverick suit that pairs extremely well with Karma C-44.
Well the problem is I have absolutely no suit enginneer enabled, and i'm nowhere even if I had any of those to be able to do any engineering as I have not materials to upgrade suits or guns.

I am still unlocking non-suit/non-weapons engineers as of now... Im unlocking Palin right now. I have seen in videos the plasma silenced sniping technique.
But I cant do that for now. No mats, no engineers unlocked for.

Perhaps, instead of following "the idiot's guide to farming anarchy settlements" (you didn't go to Aria's mine, did you?), for now, it may be better to pick up some restore missions instead?
Yes, you will get opposition, but they should be reasonable enough to take care of - just get them apart, don't try to be Rambo, and take them out. You are then free to pillage the settlement once you have restored the power. Just listen for dropships while trotting around stuffing your pockets.
Gonna try that. The restore ones by looking at bust/civil unrest/infra failure.

That's the problem with the guides. They just tell you "go here" without considering that the state of "here" can change, and they never teach you how to find a settlement.
Here's what you do to find anarchy settlements near you.
  1. Go to the foot message board in your favourite home station.
  2. Select "combat".
  3. Look at "takedown", "raid" or "settlement raid" missions.
  4. Don't bother taking the mission, just note down the location.
  5. Look it up on the system map to see what type of settlement it is, whether it's extraction, tourist, whatever.
  6. Raid at will.
I need to do one of these in an unarmed flight suit one of these days. Zappers and fists only. It's doable, even if it'll mean a lot of running back and forth to a charge point.

so first time i try pillaging on foot.
went to an anarchy system. cloned a level 3 access. and went into the habitat.
there, i meet someone. so i shoot her. she died within 2 seconds...
and then, all guards came to me, whole setlement in alarm. and got killed.

i thought going to an anarchy system would let me kill people while pillaging. but i ended dying, having to repay a full ship even though i sent the ship away
and now i have a fine of 280 000 CR for crime...

absolute horrible experience.
Wait they shot back at you? Who would have guessed?

Seriously if you want to kill the whole place disable the alarm first.

O7

Been back at the game for 2, maybe 3 weeks. I have never seen a "restore power" mission. Everywhere I go I check missions.
I have been to 10 bases in "infrastructure failure" + civil unrest and none had any of those missions.

The only way I have found to get to setlements where i can put a power regulator is to filter for "post thargoid attack recovery" and in the system look for disabled setlements and try to see if I can use a power regulator there and loot.

Been back at the game for 2, maybe 3 weeks. I have never seen a "restore power" mission. Everywhere I go I check missions.
I have been to 10 bases in "infrastructure failure" + civil unrest and none had any of those missions.
I have no problem finding them using Inara for guidance.

Top Bottom