Tritium Economics: the true cost of tritium?

Due largely to recent events, I've been thinking more about ED's most important commodity.

Using a T9 at a Large-pad station, I can load a Carrier at around 4,000t per hour (ballpark figure, I haven't actually timed it, but it certainly takes quite a few hours to fill it). At standard prices, that would cost me around 160 million credits. Let's assume it takes me around 2 hours to earn that much (another ballpark figure: Robigo works out at around that, I gather mining can still pay more post-nerf, but that is somewhat unreliable and requires good markets etc). So if we add the earning time to the loading time, that's about 3 hours per 4,000t, or around 1,300t per hour.

Cheap tritium costs a tenth of normal tritium, but hasn't been available in significant quantities for awhile. A few days ago, some did appear at outposts: but even though the credit cost is effectively negligible, the loading time is roughly tripled (Medium pad). So "cheap tritium" from an outpost isn't really cheap, it costs about the same as expensive tritium from a Large-pad station (3 hours to load 4,000t).

Genuinely "cheap" tritium hasn't been available since the tritpocalypse hit. With negligible earning time, the cost would have been the loading time, around 1 hour per 4,000t, a third of the cost of regular tritium (not a tenth, as its credit value would imply).

Mined tritium has no earning cost, but a much slower loading cost (the yield per hour, basically). I've seen 200t/hr quoted as a good result, I gather it's usually somewhat less. Compared to 1,300t/hr for standard station tritium, that's about 6-7 times more expensive. However, two factors complicate things. One is the fuel efficiency for "travelling light", a Carrier mining as it goes will need about half as much tritium as a fully-laden one. The other is the likelihood that the miner could be making money at the same time by gathering stuff that's more valuable than tritium (though I'm not sure what the overlap would be: handy if he's getting both from the same rock). But if he does that in the black on a long voyage, he's adding mass to the Carrier and decreasing his fuel efficiency as he goes: but on the other hand, someone burning stored tritium is increasing his fuel efficiency as he goes.

There is also the use of tritium-tankers. Tritium from a tanker needs to be both loaded and unloaded, doubling the loading-time cost. And if you're hauling it into the black, transferring some to another Carrier, and leaving enough to get back... then you're maybe burning half of it to deliver the other half as payload (depending on the distances involved, viability tapers off beyond 20,000ly from home, and the tritpocalypse has nuked Colonia as a base for this). It definitely helps to use cheap tritium, so the tritpocalypse will have hit this hard. You could arguably decrease the transfer-time cost by flying both Carriers on a parallel course and transferring tritium between jumps: with one jump every 20 minutes, even a single player could fly two Carriers along a route at the same time for awhile, and fly a refuelling ship between them, without slowing the Carrier's progress towards its destination. Not quite "free refuelling time", as you'd have less time for exploration or whatever.

Of course, if you're fortunate enough to have billions of spare credits with nothing else to spend it on, some of the above will not apply. All tritium is "cheap tritium", the loading-time cost is the only real cost.

Using a T9 at a Large-pad station, I can load a Carrier at around 4,000t per hour (ballpark figure, I haven't actually timed it, but it certainly takes quite a few hours to fill it).
I did actually time it during the beta, in a Cutter.

My carrier was parked round the same planet as the station, and each loop took 5-6 minutes (the main variable being waiting for traffic to clear before getting my shieldless Cutter through the mailslot).

That would be just over ten runs an hour for roughly 8,000t/hr. About three hours to fill a carrier.

But you might have, indeed, to settle for half that figure if you can't get parked round the same body as the station orbits.

In many cases, SC times are under a second. Turn around times are quick unless you can't get a decent slot, and those days are clearly over. 4000T per hour is way too low.

Honestly, I kinda wish Tritium weren't buyable at all. That would allow them to balance tritium mining more reasonably. Right now, you can load a carrier about 40x faster from a station than by mining.

Assuming we want to make, say, 100m/hour, the current value of Tritum would have to be something like 500k each, which is crazy high. If you wanted values closer to 100k each, you need to be able to mine more like 1000 tritium per hour.

Of course, if you're fortunate enough to have billions of spare credits with nothing else to spend it on, some of the above will not apply. All tritium is "cheap tritium", the loading-time cost is the only real cost.
I purchased a carrier to explore new worlds, seek out new life and new civilizations. All I really seem to be doing is seeking out the cheapest Tritium. The thought of doing another 6 zillion Robigo runs to refill it again makes me just want to park it, full of fuel, for like, evvvrr.

It's not that difficult to balance Tritium. Balance mining yield so it makes sense for explorers, then adjust selling and buying prices and quantity so it is cheap and easy to find, and it doesn't give too much of a profit.

Tritium's primary use in the game should be to facilitate the use of fleet carriers, and to make it enjoyable. It is funny to watch developers not knowing how their own game code works. But I guess it is a thing, given the complexity of modern games coding..

takes about 1 hour to mine 45 pieces of trit at a single hotspot out in the black .. ... I have three void opal hotspots here .. one is a double void opal and there is a single LTD spot... I only mine the trit cause you cant burn opals ... lol..

mined about 100 in the hour tonight ... more ssd is good ..

Last edited:
takes about 1 hour to mine 45 pieces of trit at a single hotspot out in the black .. ... I have three void opal hotspots here .. one is a double void opal and there is a single LTD spot... I only mine the trit cause you cant burn opals ... lol..

mined about 100 in the hour tonight ... more ssd is good ..
I'm still getting used to SSD Mining.
Only realised two days ago that I'd to keep my hand on the trigger after firing:ROFLMAO:

Only realised yesterday there's a moving bar with blue squares on it to indicate when to release said trigger😂😂

Yeah! my Mining efficiency increases😎

Honestly, I kinda wish Tritium weren't buyable at all. That would allow them to balance tritium mining more reasonably. Right now, you can load a carrier about 40x faster from a station than by mining.

And praised be the gods for that!

Paying almost 1 billion per full load, plus making around 34 roundtrips in a T-9 cargo barge to fill the carrier with tritium is already more than enough "frontier fun tax", so not interested at all in adding hours of mining per jump.

Top Bottom