UA Mystery thread 4 - The Canonn

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Just my thoughts on this.

Meta Alloys are a commodity. That means they can be ejected into space, as they're stored in the cargo hold.
The only individual models for items that go in your cargo hold are normal commodities, Escape pods, and Unknown Artifacts that I am aware of. (refined mining fragments stored in cargo turn into same canisters as normal commodities)
If someone comes across one of these meta alloys, is it going to look like a normal commodity canister? Bear in mind that it needs to be scoop able, so it can't be that big.

Also thanks for confirming my question r.e. needing the mission to spawn these.

I've been trying to ascertain what to look for myself. Will it look like a cargo canister or something else? I already questioned how it might appear on the wave scanner, so we know what to look for. The mission and various sources claim these are "common in certain parts of space". I think we've pretty much established that the Pleadies is not among those parts of space, with how many people have "combed the desert" so to speak for these things. I think we should look elsewhere. Now that I have a UA and am growing rather attached to it, I kinda want to haul it around some more but I find the lack of vanadium (for afm refills) to be limiting my range somewhat. There are so many regions in the galaxy - how many of them could be a "magic region", so to speak, for finding these things? I hear that there are players out there exploring various regions of the galaxy but so far no-one has reported finding anything Meta. If I dont find some vanadium soon, I'm thinking of just ditching this poor space whale at Obsidian Orbital and buzzing off into the black to join the Meta hunters myself.

Last edited:
Also another side note:

The missions to retrieve them give you 6 hours to get them, so it's expected that they reside in an area no more than 3 hours away from the core. I can do 1000 Ly in 40 minutes if i'm rushing, so they should be withing 3000Ly from SOL correct?

Also another side note:

The missions to retrieve them give you 6 hours to get them, so it's expected that they reside in an area no more than 3 hours away from the core. I can do 1000 Ly in 40 minutes if i'm rushing, so they should be withing 3000Ly from SOL correct?

6 days you mean? I considered this as well, but my question was, does it take 6 days to find the right region, pick up the canister, and then bring it back (on average), or does the mission assume you already know where to get them and will bee-line for that region, taking 6 days to get out there, pick it up, and bring it back? It's a question of dev mentality.

Note: my mission gave me 6 days. If you got one with 6 hours, they really have high expectations of you!

Last edited:
Oh really? That IS interesting. I guess the Plague does not apply to us though, being an atmospheric moon?

Correct...can't land on the plague planet in theory.

I actually suspect that Peregrina was a clue for the shell location, as it's probably the closest populated system to the shell...Going to see if I can get the permit anyway though...

6 days you mean? I considered this as well, but my question was, does it take 6 days to find the right region, pick up the canister, and then bring it back (on average), or does the mission assume you already know where to get them and will bee-line for that region, taking 6 days to get out there, pick it up, and bring it back? It's a question of dev mentality.

Note: my mission gave me 6 days. If you got one with 6 hours, they really have high expectations of you!

It always seems like NO mission is timed assuming you already know where you are going or for what. All missions, even time-sensitive delivery missions, always give you ample time to complete them.

Oh is it 6 days? I thought it was 6 hours. I'm 32k Ly away from Sol and I've been landing on random planets to have a look.

Another random side note, someone mentioned that the crashed Nav beacons keep missing a character in the morse code. Is there a pattern to this / to the letters being missed?

It always seems like NO mission is timed assuming you already know where you are going or for what. All missions, even time-sensitive delivery missions, always give you ample time to complete them.

Good point. And by that logic, it makes guessing the proper region much more dependent on other clues than simple mathematics. Now, to find those clues...

Edit: So I've pretty much ruled out UA's acting in any kind of addon/modifying capacity to ship or SRV systems. I've tested various systems on my ship and SRV while carrying a UA. I spent some time today driving around on various planets with the UA in the SRV, to see if my wave scanner would pick up anything out of the ordinary. I even tried dropping the UA in different places to see if it would point me in a useful direction. All they do is sit there and slowly rotate on the ground. They can't even point at Merope anymore when they're on the ground. My experiments were limited to the Pleione and Maia systems due to time and supply limitations.

Note: An interesting test might be to drop a UA on a planet in Merope with a view of the sun in the sky. See if it stands up.

Last edited:
Oh is it 6 days? I thought it was 6 hours. I'm 32k Ly away from Sol and I've been landing on random planets to have a look.

Another random side note, someone mentioned that the crashed Nav beacons keep missing a character in the morse code. Is there a pattern to this / to the letters being missed?

They're not missing letters, they are spouting the letters of the word "broken" but they are random and out of order. No discernable pattern.

Last edited:
Peregrina might be a good shoot, what if the moons are being used as a graveyard for the ships "infected"? And this mean on the creation of the barnacles on those hulls of the infected ships around the moon?

off to go pursue different planetary enviroments in the barnacle search now i have refitted a new SRV and no UA's teething on my ship.

Some small update i had to do today but where i left myself last night at the POI i couldnt find was now easily visible. Found a nice type of installation i have not seen before. large 2 story building , lights and data point, but not seen the large cylinders before.
8 of them.2 sets of 4. flashing red beacon light. doesnt blow up or do anything as far as my lasers and cannon could tell.

Headed back to the same location with a SRV after repairs. Managed to easily locate the POI from coordinates.
Not exactly same coordinates but close enough to create the POI instance. 33.8 -134.6 returned and found it at 33.8 137.4

Just incase of sandworms ya know,, felt safer landing on the roof, a bit of practice and managed to get all 4 feet of the landing gear down but no landing, meh. i could have switched the thrusters off manually i guess, ha.
View attachment 92984

Now onward to explore new ideas and places, anything of note would be worth recording the coordinates of.

lol, I just found a POI exactly like that one (with the 8 cylinders) and I did the same thing as far as landing on that building with my asp ;)

Peregrina might be a good shoot, what if the moons are being used as a graveyard for the ships "infected"? And this mean on the creation of the barnacles on those hulls of the infected ships around the moon?

I just cashed in a bunch of exploration data and did a few missions and barely even made a dent in my faction with them.. ugh..

Going to take a while to get a permit. Might need to go get a bunch of rares and sell there.

poking around before i have to crash for the night.

polaris, merope and maia all have class B stars, might be something there idk

polaris is where the thargs show up in lore (i believe) and from polaris to alioth is a straight line to sol. polaris, alioth and merope/maia form a triangle (tinfoil hat on lol)

either way, i have also been thinking, is it possible that FD know everyone is expecting thargs, so they have us fooled? idk, im getting tired. i tend to think we are def. going down the tharg road, just speculating.

edit! oh yeah, polaris has a permit that nobody can get yet.
double edit! from peregrina to alioth is another (pretty much) straight line

Last edited:
Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom