UAs, Barnacles and other mysteries Thread 8 - The Canonn

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
I'd like to ask a question.

Why are people assuming the dashes are binary numbers and not morse code letters?

Everyone practically assumes they are numbers.

Why would they use binary of the UA uses morse?

Indeed. I personally think it's numbers mostly because there's a certain simplicity to having the four of them be the four first numbers. It fits perfectly. However, the Unknown Artifact used Morse letters instead of binary numbers, so that can't be ruled out, and it isn't unreasonable to think they should both be using the same thing: Morse.

Did someone tried to scan UP first, get jammed, and then release and be scanned by UA afterwards?

or backwards?

No definitive answers have been found, but some are speculating this is a key of some sort.

Last edited:
I'd like to ask a question.

Why are people assuming the dashes are binary numbers and not morse code letters?

Everyone practically assumes they are numbers.

Why would they use binary of the UA uses morse?

I tried to reason this one out yesterday.

For me it's primarily because morse is '. -' not '- |'.

Using the second notation makes it too ambiguous as morse, because you can argue for either bars to be the dit or dah.

Whereas interpreting as binary is conpletely unambiguous, except in terms of whether it's in the format 1,2,4 or 4,2,1 (LSB/MSB) - and we already have a precedent for this exact notation in the human knowledgebank: the voyager disk and more.

Voyager, as a justification, can work on both the in-game and RL levels, either has a hint towards a possible origin story of the source of the message, or as a message created by humans for gamers with an interest in space science to solve.

So, for me, I can't see a reason to choose morse over binary that makes more sense than those we have for choosing binary.

Yes, morse was used by the UA - so it's *possible* - but then why would you move from a completely accurate portrayal of morse in sound bursts from the UA, to an ambiguous notation in visual form in the UP?

Last edited:
Wait, I just thought of something; Merope 5C's polar coordinates are reversed on the HUD, right? Wouldn't that mean that its magnetic field is reversed from normal? If it's the only planet in the Merope system to have reversed poles, it would suggest that 5C is much older than the other planets, as the only reasons for that happening (that I recall ) are to do with changes in output from the nearest star. Can someone please confirm/deny this?

Time to add my tinfoil.

FD only launches features if there is the content to support it.
Fighter gameplay is CQC, but fighter gameplay out of CQC has no real reason to exist, other than just speeding up your bounty hunting and combat zoning. In other words, FD would not release the fighters in 2.2 if they didn't add the gameplay to make it actually purposeful. So here is what i thought of:

Barnacles are openings into the planet. In some sort of event in the future we will have the barnacles open their 'mouths'. Only a fighter is small enough to fit through it. You are now playing Elite: Descent, exploring an alien underground base.
+1032 rep for Descent

Just browsing the Galaxy Map while I fly to E.T;

The 'Bubble Nebula' is really weird looking. Looks like a strange ghost planet on the Galaxy Map, lol

Wow!!! [up] [up] I solute you for figuring this all out!! But! What would happen if you took the shell of UAs around Merope as a reference sphere, not the Merope itself as you've done here? Wouldn't that give some different results? The idea that that circle could represent UAs shell, not a planet, has resurfaced here recently and I was also thinking that some time ago. But then what would be your reference points?

Wow!!! [up] [up] I solute you for figuring this all out!! But! What would happen if you took the shell of UAs around Merope as a reference sphere, not the Merope itself as you've done here? Wouldn't that give some different results? The idea that that circle could represent UAs shell, not a planet, has resurfaced here recently and I was also thinking that some time ago. But then what would be your reference points?

This idea is gaining some traction, yes :)

And welcome!

Just browsing the Galaxy Map while I fly to E.T;

The 'Bubble Nebula' is really weird looking. Looks like a strange ghost planet on the Galaxy Map, lol
The bubble nebula is pretty cool, worth a visit I would say :) Here are some pics I took while I was there :)

yCF9Cdy.png

CzIZoL3.png

8z7554E.png

dxIDcQE.png

umHbZFX.png

If I remember well, you were one of the first, if not the first, to propose it ;)
Your drawings are still on the frontpage.
Cheers

Interesting then, if the 3 'frames' in the signal represent a sequence of events.

- First, there's an object at the bottom right, which could represent the probe.
- Second, the UA sphere, pristine and shiny.
- Third, what looks like the 'probe' is still bottom right, brought together with a distorted image of the sphere.... or perhaps it's a perfect image of a destroyed sphere...

Something wicked this way comes..

</creepy Vincent Price voice>

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom