UAs, Barnacles and other mysteries Thread 8 - The Canonn

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
I was asked to have a look at it and I had it worked out as "Is anyone receiving this I am all alone" There's something about it that's vaguely familiar in the corners of my mind, but I can't jog it. It's been suggested it's to do with Buck Nekkid #MUG but as I said to him, if he didn't make it then there's a high change it's related to a news item in a nearby station. We know FD put stuff in them all the time that we haven't noticed.

Lol this is getting funnier and funnier.

It will be interesting, that's for sure. Looking at the centre of the map though, it looks like we have about an hour window.

Well... it has been a long and fruitful night, so before I close out (ie: have a shower and go to bed) I hope Rizal is reading this, as I have to ask : what date do you come back from holidays?

I ask because I thought you might like to try to complete the actions specified in the message. I have not got the exact location on Merope 5c yet, but I should have it in about 35 hours or so, and the actual precise location will have to be determined before we can perform the action. And I thought you might like to be the one to pull the trigger - I just would like to be there and see it happen to see what happens next. I have some idea, but it would be nice to be surprised too.

BTW: I am also reasonably confident I know what the left panel message means (it is sideways - rotate 90 degrees clockwise)
I also know what the symbols in the four quadrants are.
I am reasonably confident I know what the curve in the upper left signifies
I am also reasonably confident I have worked out... the other phenomena, which I will not mention as it might give too much away
smile.png

Since you said you are going on holidays, I am prepared to wait... but someone else might figure it out before then, so please reply with your thoughts.

Cheers
Rixaeton - and I don't care if anyone believes me or not.

I'm glad you think you're making progress, but quite a few of us, including myself, get a bit annoyed with people who come in, claim they have a lead or answer and then don't share it. These claims often end up disappearing in a cloud of disappointment and frustration. I think more than a few would agree that we'd rather you either share your ideas openly or wait until you have a result to share rather than vague hints. I understand that you're saying these things because you want help testing them, but why not either say what you think you've deduced or just say "I have some tests I'd like to perform" instead of being coy about it? Also, there are other players who have UPs in their holds right now if you're in a hurry to do some testing (in 35 hours). To reiterate my point, if you have interesting ideas about a solution, why not share them? If you don't want to share them, why drop hints at all?

Last edited:
Got Some Barnacle Questions if I may :)
All I know is......Found on low G worlds ,with a temp range of 194k to 379K and that they don't give you a blue POI circle.
so can I ask:
1, Are they found on both planets and moons or just planets?
2,Are they found on Ice worlds? (if in temp range)
3.Are they only found in canyons , or steep sided craters/mountains too?
4.How high can I fly and still see them? ( can cover greater area from higher up)
5,Any pictures showing what it looks like on the Buggy radar?
That's it....thanks in advance :D

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
It will be interesting, that's for sure. Looking at the centre of the map though, it looks like we have about an hour window.

Is that an hour window for the thing that's happening in 35 hours or so that will tell you the location of whatever, or an hour window between waiting the 3.3 days between tries? I'll leave the map looking to you I'm afraid as I can't see what you're talking about :p

I'm glad you think you're making progress, but quite a few of us, including myself, get a bit annoyed with people who come in, claim they have a lead or answer and then don't share it. These claims often end up disappearing in a cloud of disappointment and frustration. I think more than a few would agree that we'd rather you either share your ideas openly or wait until you have a result to share rather than vague hints. I understand that you're saying these things because you want help testing them, but why not either say what you think you've deduced or just say "I have some tests I'd like to perform" instead of being coy about it? Also, there are other players who have UPs in their holds right now if you're in a hurry to do some testing (in 35 hours). To reiterate my point, if you have interesting ideas about a solution, why not share them? If you don't want to share them, why drop hints at all?

I thought it would be polite to ask Rizal if he wanted to be here when I try out the action as he has been maintaining this forum for a long time, and happens to be going on holiday. It's ok though. It might be easeier for me to get the precise location (about lunchtime wednesday I hope, which is a public holiday here)

Besides, the MB vague hints are rubbing off on me...

At least I have worked out the source locations of the Mysterious Radiation that blankets Merope 5c - which is nice - it had me stuck for a few days.

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
All I know is......Found on low G worlds ,with a temp range of 194k to 379K and that they don't give you a blue POI circle.

Not any more, the new fed ones that we didn't discover are outside the ranges we thought possible :S

4.How high can I fly and still see them? ( can cover greater area from higher up)

You can see them from about 2KM up easily - they are (on my computer) a fairly obvious "dark thing" on an otherwise smooth looking surface.

As for the buggy radar they appear "high up" on the radar arc (same as other non-rock stuff)

Not sure about the rest - would also be keen to know if they only appear near cliffs/canyons etc.

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator

If you look on the spreadsheet you will see that they are found on a combination of planets and moons. There are also 3 (I believe) close together in a crater and not all stuck to the sides either.

I thought it would be polite to ask Rizal if he wanted to be here when I try out the action as he has been maintaining this forum for a long time, and happens to be going on holiday. It's ok though. It might be easeier for me to get the precise location (about lunchtime wednesday I hope, which is a public holiday here)

Besides, the MB vague hints are rubbing off on me...

At least I have worked out the source locations of the Mysterious Radiation that blankets Merope 5c - which is nice - it had me stuck for a few days.

Would you like to to share your observations or conclusions with the rest of the class?

Would you like to to share your observations or conclusions with the rest of the class?

Well... it is 12:51am here, so not right now, thanks. If it helps I already shared the solution to the three lines (30 degree, 60 degree and 45 degree) with the class three times before anyone read it, so yes, I have published the first part this morning (my time), and an be found here in post #6201. The next 5 steps will have to wait until at least Wednesday.

It is too late at night (or too early in the morning) for me to be coherent right now... but I hope what I already published will help.

Cheers
Rixaeton. - doing Science! even when sleejslkdfszzzzzzzzz[redface]

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

I wouldn't bother rising to be honest.

Good point - I need to be sleeping instead of rising :)

Cheers, and have a good... whatever time zone you are in.
Rixaeton - and really needing a shower first - for Science!

Arguendo

Volunteer Moderator
Well... it has been a long and fruitful night, so before I close out...
<snip>
BTW: I am also reasonably confident I know what the left panel message means (it is sideways - rotate 90 degrees clockwise)
I also know what the symbols in the four quadrants are.
I am reasonably confident I know what the curve in the upper left signifies
I am also reasonably confident I have worked out... the other phenomena, which I will not mention as it might give too much away :)

Since you said you are going on holidays, I am prepared to wait... but someone else might figure it out before then, so please reply with your thoughts.

Cheers
Rixaeton - and I don't care if anyone believes me or not.
"He wants the Precious. Always he is looking for it. And the Precious is wanting to go back to him... But we mustn't let him have it."

I was asked to have a look at it and I had it worked out as "Is anyone receiving this I am all alone" There's something about it that's vaguely familiar in the corners of my mind, but I can't jog it. It's been suggested it's to do with Buck Nekkid #MUG but as I said to him, if he didn't make it then there's a high change it's related to a news item in a nearby station. We know FD put stuff in them all the time that we haven't noticed.
It seems very familiar to the report a while back about a morse signal coming from one of the "dead ships." Apparantly it said something like "I A I AM ALIVE". Didn't pay much attention to it at the time, sorry.

You can see them from about 2KM up easily - they are (on my computer) a fairly obvious "dark thing" on an otherwise smooth looking surface.

As for the buggy radar they appear "high up" on the radar arc (same as other non-rock stuff)

Not sure about the rest - would also be keen to know if they only appear near cliffs/canyons etc.

I did some testing on visibility from altitude. If I "didn't know it was there", personally I'd be unlikely to spot a barnacle above 800 metres. After 10 minutes flying down a canyon your attention will wander and you are going to miss things.

"He wants the Precious. Always he is looking for it. And the Precious is wanting to go back to him... But we mustn't let him have it."

Advertising signs that con
you Into thinking you're the one
That can do what's never been done
That can win what's never been won
Meantime life outside goes on all around you

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

so can I ask:
2,Are they found on Ice worlds? (if in temp range)
That's it....thanks in advance :D

1) Yes
2) No
3) Yes
4) Depends on graphics and eyesight. In my case, 1000m. Most can spot them higer. I can fly higer if it's dark.
5) Front page.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom