UAs, Barnacles and other mysteries Thread 8 - The Canonn

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Well If I was an Alien Probe and was interested in what was going on in certain locations and looking at ships etc, I think Nav Beacons would probably be a good area to hang around near. I might do that in the shell after I've finished wandering to the Eskimo Nebula for no reason at all...

maybe you start with ~150ls since the other shell has a 150ly radius?!

I did an extensive search for UPs in Merope in a shell around the star Merope. Even though I noticed an increase of USSes in an area around 150,000 to 200,000 LS from the star, it was all regular USSes so I did not even mention it here. I spend several hours, so it is still possible that I was just not lucky enough....

This might be in other signs around the glob from UP transmission.

-|- etc.

Everyone seems to be so convinced its 3 bit binary like on the voyager plaque but that would mean this tech is of human origin. (Which is what I suspect that they are part of the lost)

Also the line may not be the radius or it would be at a 90 degree angle imho. I do think it could signify an axial tilt. Which means it would specify 5c. But I'm more inclined to think this should signify its target.

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

UP freefloaters do not necessarily form a shell, their purpose is different to that of the UA's.

I agree

Probes have a specific function usually and are sent in an "intentional" direction.

Sirius corp has some sort of inside information.

They are expanding in a particular direction. I went out that way to look for UP's and found nothing. There are many many nebula in that direction but are a few k ly away.

Why do we assume the target that it is looking for would also be a nebula?

Maybe this thing detects life -and its a coincidence that it is focused back toward merope?

Another thought.....the new Fed bases.....

What if they're not actually there as stop off points to a particular region. Supposition again, but perhaps they're actually a lure to tempt the UP's to freefall towards them as a source of something to probe at which point they're scooped up and whisked off in the very rare convoys we've seen?

It's a coincidence that no matter where in the galaxy or in the system you drop it, it points at Merope 5C?

Or you haven't dropped it closer to another major hub.. and the Pleiades is just the closest place to point?

Makes sense to me .. everything seems focused in one direction. Try taking it to the opposite side of the bubble and see what happens.

I'm curious to see how it reacts near the pipe/bowl area.

Last edited:
Everyone seems to be so convinced its 3 bit binary like on the voyager plaque but that would mean this tech is of human origin. (Which is what I suspect that they are part of the lost)

Not really, there's nothing 'human' about a binary numeric system. It's likely that most advanced species are going to have a numeric system for describing countable objects; and unless they have a grossly impractical numeric system that's baseless (i.e. every conceivable number can be represented with a single symbol) they're also going to have a numeric system with a base. And binary is the simplest possible number base.

We tend to think of it as a recent invention due to its suitability in computing systems, but it's been invented (or "discovered"?) for centuries.

Not really, there's nothing 'human' about a binary numeric system. It's likely that most advanced species are going to have a numeric system for describing countable objects; and unless they have a grossly impractical numeric system that's baseless (i.e. every conceivable number can be represented with a single symbol) they're also going to have a numeric system with a base. And binary is the simplest possible number base.

We tend to think of it as a recent invention due to its suitability in computing systems, but it's been invented (or "discovered"?) for centuries.

No I get that, but any other race could place arbitrary relationships to them. They could place the 1 first before the 0 and the numbers may not line up with a base 10 system. We've assumed it is a 1234 set of numbers.

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
Has this actually been tested?

Or you haven't dropped it closer to another major hub.. and the Pleiades is just the closest place to point?

Makes sense to me .. everything seems focused in one direction. Try taking it to the opposite side of the bubble and see what happens.

I'm curious to see how it reacts near the pipe/bowl area.

Maybe galaxy was a bit of a stretch at the moment for what we have tested so far. You'd have to go at least 380Ly from Sol away from Merope to see I guess, but once you find one (that you have actively been looking for) then it can be tested.

Baseless doesn't mean every number has its own symbol. Roman numerals being the obvious example.

Maybe galaxy was a bit of a stretch at the moment for what we have tested so far. You'd have to go at least 380Ly from Sol away from Merope to see I guess, but once you find one (that you have actively been looking for) then it can be tested.

I've been trying to find a convoy and drag one down, sadly a combo of painkillers and exhaustion has not been great for my flying skills lol. I gave that up and have been free roaming for a couple of weeks now looking for free floaters. Seeing as how we all seem to be barking up the wrong tree it's not been fruitful

No I get that, but any other race could place arbitrary relationships to them. They could place the 1 first before the 0 and the numbers may not line up with a base 10 system. We've assumed it is a 1234 set of numbers.

Ah, sorry. Certainly there are lots of assumption being made. Is the vertical bar the "one" or the "zero"? Is the left-most digit the most or least significant? Even if we assume they are numbers, we still wouldn't know for certain they're binary - just because we can only see two distinct digits doesn't mean there aren't others ("10" could be binary, octal, decimal, hexidecimal etc. and it's value would be dependant on the base). I guess we have to make some assumptions though, or we're not going to get anywhere.

Baseless doesn't mean every number has its own symbol. Roman numerals being the obvious example.

Good point, X out of X!

I shudder to think though at the thought of doing any involved math in such a convoluted numeric system!

Probably of no significance, but, I noted that Merope 3a is the only moon in the system you can't land on (well I can't land on any as I'm in 1.6). So I went for a look. Despite having an atmospheric pressure of 0.0 apparently trace SO2 is enough to stop landings. Is this normal / common? Just to save me loitering here in case anything interesting happens really. Thx

Probably of no significance, but, I noted that Merope 3a is the only moon in the system you can't land on (well I can't land on any as I'm in 1.6). So I went for a look. Despite having an atmospheric pressure of 0.0 apparently trace SO2 is enough to stop landings. Is this normal / common? Just to save me loitering here in case anything interesting happens really. Thx

Might be worth trying to land on for someone with 2.1.

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator

0.0 atmospheric pressures are fairly common. Though there's nothing to stop you loitering ;) and maybe for those seeing one of the symbols to define a planet with atmosphere, might find interest there.

So I keep seeing people referencing the UAs as being in a "shell" around Merope. The assumption is that it's because of the barnacles correct? If that were the case, then wouldn't the UAs appear in a shell around other systems where barnacles have been found? If not, then can we not logically assume it has nothing to do with the barnacles? And if so, wouldn't we also expect to find UPs?

I'm still not sold on the image NOT being a representation of part of our ship HUD. There are too many symbolic similarities to discount from the image (landable planets, ship HUD, etc) to make those just coincidence.

Also, probes are (typically) meant to send data somewhere, especially if multiple probes are sent out. So I'm wondering if we shouldn't be concentrating more on where the probes are sending the data.

I apologize if this has all been discussed and beat to death. 8 Threads and 34 pages (of 200/page) of posts makes it hard to keep up sometimes...lol

Last edited:
Hello All,

I posted a probable solution for the UP mystery over on Reddit yesterday. I have made some tweaks to it since then (I made the graphic without access to the galaxy map and therefore had inaccurate distances) and I think the argument is pretty compelling. Please pick it apart or improve as you see fit. I've drawn two conclusions:

1) The image is a map with a "scale" based upon the radius of the sphere (identified by the binary "1")
2) The map locates and defines the dimensions of the UA shell, and possibly shows us where a "second" shell may be containing free floating UP

You can read my reddit post, but I will summarize here to make it a bit simpler:

The binary numbers in the image represent distances relative to the radius of the UA shell

"1" - this identifies the radius and sets it to equal 1 unit of distance (UAs have been found as close to Merope as 134.2 LY, though I think they could be found as close as 126.6 LY)
- Originally i used 135 as my radius value as I thought I had heard that was the closest UA. I'm adjusting to 126.6 LY (rounding to 127) as the radius, you'll see why

"2" - the arc is at a distance of twice the radius outside of the shell (2x), or 2 times 127 LY which is 254 LY. I'll come back to this

"3" - three times the radius, or 381 LY. Sol is 381 LY away from Merope. The (( I believe indicates a signal being received from Sol. Earth has been broadcasting radio signals into space for about 1400 years (in game) and therefore it would make sense to use this radio signal as a reference point.

"4" - four times the radius, or 508 LY. Note that the \ / symbols start OUTSIDE the shell, therefore the reference points are 4x the radius away from the beginning of the shell, or 5x the radius away from Merope, bringing the total distance to 635 LY from Merope. Now here is where things get interesting:

- The two lines point to two reference points 635 LY away from Merope
- California nebula and witch head nebula are equidistant from Merope (depending on where you measure them from). Using the following stars you get:
California nebula: 632.61 LY away (DL-y d25 chosen as it is in gases)
Witch head nebula 633.57 LY away(gw-w c1-3 chosen as it is in the gases)

So why did I use 127 LY instead of 135 (or 134.2)? Well, I reverse engineered that radius based upon Merope's distance to sol (381 divided by 3). To make this theory work, we need commanders to look in systems 127 LY away from Merope to see if we can find a UA.

Additionally, the "2" arc is the real question. I think it shows us one of two things:

1) Where the UA shell ends, 2x radial distance from Merope (boring)
2) Where a second shell is, where we may find "free floating" UP (less boring)

So the 2x radial distance is likely 2x the radius outside the shell, or 254 LY out from Merope.

Testable aspects of this theory:

1) Search systems 127 LY away from Merope for UA
2) Search systems 254 LY away from Merope for UP (or
slightly less than that for UA)

Please critique, complain, argue, spit on, or approve of this theory. Reddit link below. Note that the graphic contained within the link uses my old inaccurate numbers.

https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/4wr2ot/up_image_describes_ua_shell_and_possibly_shows/

http://m.imgur.com/gallery/0vYbAis

here is the updated image

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom