UAs, Barnacles and other mysteries Thread 8 - The Canonn

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Does 5C sound exactly the same as other bodies of similar type, when targeted and in the System Map? Has the sound been analysed?

Hi Michael,

Genuine question, why can't snippits like this be made through GALNET or other in-game mechanism? e.g, the guise of 'in the know' NPC reporting on things, e.g.

"Today, Professor Lin Sondek confirmed he could find no evidence of direct communications between UP and Barnacles.."

Is it just too weighty a process for something that needs to be reactive to player investigations and queries ?

Rob

for frontiers limited staffing resources and very tightly scripted storylines it is a breach to far until some formal automation is put into place that should be forthcoming thro to 2.4

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

Does 5C sound exactly the same as other bodies of similar type, when targeted and in the System Map? Has the sound been analysed?

scratching our heads
maybe we just need thousands more pilots to cover 5c every square inch and if nothing is found we can walk around

Yes and it would give U a solution which rotates the POI 360° in the found plane all 154,9 Day (period of Merope 5), hence not a solution

The line between merope and merope 5c is pretty long. The orbital patterns of 5c is extremely small in comparison. We also might be looking for something relative to celestial motion. So it doesn't really matter what merope 5c is doing, only that we are in a spot relative to it and the main star.

It really is.

Here is a UP pointing at 5c;

-o (5c)

You could say that the 'o' is facing 5c, and the '-' is facing 'backwards'. In this example, 'o' is facing 'One' thing. And '-' is facing 'One' thing.

Now, here's another example;

(5c) o-

In this example, the 'o' is still facing 5c, meaning the number of things the 'o' is facing is still 'One', but the '-' is facing the other side of 5c now... bringing the number of things the '-' is facing to two.

If we drop our 'o-' object in a big, 360 degree circle then you would find that the 'o' still only points to 'One' thing, 5c, but the '-' points to 360 things. One for each degree of a circle.
Now if you times that '360' for how many degrees are in a SPHERE and you end up with too big a number of 'things' for it to be useful. The 'o' however, will only ever have ONE point of interest. 5c.

So, what is scientifically logical... to look at the ONE thing that turns up in ALL orientations? Or to look at each, individual, unique orientation the other way which ends up being thousands of possible locations?

The answer is; 5c is the one, repeating, common occurrence. IT is where we should look to. Not elsewhere.

So it is indirectly connected. Meaning the barnacles may have been a side effect or a new lifeform that was spawned?

I think the barnacles arrival on Merope 5C made someone capable of producing UAs and UPs, by providing materials(and possibly fuel).

Someone that has been stuck there for a long time.

I think yo are getting caught up in the infinities and not looking at instances where it might be valid. There is no reason to assume that it must be true in all cases

Lol - if 1 location is more important out of the infinity of all others, then we have 1/infinity, which, of course, has no well-defined answer. But, either way, there ain't no way I'm taking those odds, so I say simply 'It points at Merope 5C, and any other location to which the other end points is purely coincidental and of no significance.'

Last edited:
Hi,

I'm following this thread for a while now with some interest, some really cool things going down here ;)

I have a question about the UP, I don't know if there has been some answers to it yet :

We know the UP is pointing to Merope 5C, but is it pointing to the center of the body, or is it pointing to a point somewhere on the surface ? Basically, if the UP is dropped in orbit, would it point exactly to the center of the body ?

Cheers,

CMDR Poulpe

Last edited:
Hi,

I'm following this thread for a while now with some interest, some really cool things going down here ;)

I have a mquestions about the UP, Idon't know if there has been some answers to it yet :

We know the UP is pointing to Merope 5C, but is it pointing to the center of the body, or is it pointing to a point somewhere on the surface ? Basically, if the UP is dropped in orbit, would it point exactly to the center of the body ?

Cheers,

CMDR Poulpe

To my knowledge, yes it points to the exact center. As though to highlight the planet itself and not a specific part of it :)

Hi,

I have a mquestions about the UP, Idon't know if there has been some answers to it yet :

Cheers,

CMDR Poulpe

Pretty sure it's on the first page but, in case it's not: yes it always points at Merope 5C, not a location on the surface of 5C - so, therefore, yes: at its centre.

It really is.

Here is a UP pointing at 5c;

-o (5c)

You could say that the 'o' is facing 5c, and the '-' is facing 'backwards'. In this example, 'o' is facing 'One' thing. And '-' is facing 'One' thing.

Now, here's another example;

(5c) o-

In this example, the 'o' is still facing 5c, meaning the number of things the 'o' is facing is still 'One', but the '-' is facing the other side of 5c now... bringing the number of things the '-' is facing to two.

If we drop our 'o-' object in a big, 360 degree circle then you would find that the 'o' still only points to 'One' thing, 5c, but the '-' points to 360 things. One for each degree of a circle.
Now if you times that '360' for how many degrees are in a SPHERE and you end up with too big a number of 'things' for it to be useful. The 'o' however, will only ever have ONE point of interest. 5c.

So, what is scientifically logical... to look at the ONE thing that turns up in ALL orientations? Or to look at each, individual, unique orientation the other way which ends up being thousands of possible locations?

The answer is; 5c is the one, repeating, common occurrence. IT is where we should look to. Not elsewhere.

Purpose is the simple answer ... If I program a little robot to go get me a beer from the fridge , it will complete the same actions everywhere you take it . But the actions only have meaning in a certain location... My kitchen

Purpose is the simple answer ... If I program a little robot to go get me a beer from the fridge , it will complete the same actions everywhere you take it . But the actions only have meaning in a certain location... My kitchen

The difference is the robot will go to the fridge, collect the beer, then return to you.

If the robot was the UP and the fridge was 5c, it would mean that the robot would collect the beer and then drive off in any direction opposite to the fridge, not straight back to you.

Last edited:
The difference is the robot will go to the fridge, collect the beer, then return to you.

If the robot was the UP and the fridge was 5c, it would mean that the robot would collect the beer and then drive off in any direction opposite to the fridge, not straight back to you.

U are shure ? As twisted as the whole thing is by now, I am sure the UP would drink the beer and burp an EMP at U :):p

EDIT: most likely with an sonic diagram of a sixpack....

Last edited:
for frontiers limited staffing resources and very tightly scripted storylines it is a breach to far <snip>

Defo not bashing or criticising anyone or anything just look for a "better way" :) So with that in mind my response is :

Does MB posting hints/tips/clues/clarifications on this thread fit in with FDEV limited staff and tighly scripted storylines ?

I would suggest it requires the notion of an NPC 'expert' who can be the vessels for hints/tips/clues/clarifications and then MB can save time by NOT posting on this thread and instead post in GALNET under the guize of said NPC.

NPC doesn't have to be on a story arc. NPC can be disposed of, perhaps when we/he gets too close to the solution :)

But that's arguing a different thing isn't it: the idea that the UP has a special location specifically related to its purpose is not the same as saying the other end of the UP might point to somewhere of importance, since the second statement will not hold true for all places where the first does.

As an example, let's say that the UP's special place is within a certain distance of Earth - well, at any given point in time, at least half (and likely many more) of all the locations you choose which fit that criterion will yield a position where the opposite end of the UP points away from Earth itself, but, even more importantly, to nowhere in particular because at every one of those locations that side will be pointing to somewhere different, even if it's alignment is one nanoarcsecond different between two locations.

So I'm done with this debate now. I'm happy to entertain the possibility, as Han_Zen reminded us that the UP behaviour changes near to a planet, that there might be a location which is somehow more important to the UP - but the 'other direction' in which the probe points when at this location is not important - because it won't ever be fixed.

Last edited:
I'm at work so can't post more, but can someone please take a look at a hi-res of the centre image...

Assume the (nine?) vertical bands aren't random. Could they be morse or something else? Is there a further message encoded into the oval?

I think yo are getting caught up in the infinities and not looking at instances where it might be valid. There is no reason to assume that it must be true in all cases

Well, ok. Where the UP points away from when it's dropped is irrelevant, given that if you drop it at an arbitrary point, it'll point at one end towards 5C and at the other end to arbitrary points of no interest.

If we can find free-floating UPs that haven't been re-oriented, then the 'other end' could potentially point at something meaningful. It would have to be something very close though, since you can't move them to get a more accurate pointer without invalidating the experiment.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom