UAs, Barnacles and other mysteries Thread 8 - The Canonn

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
EDSM still keeps any previously submitted distances though.

I believe EDSM relies on both.

If you submit netLog data, EDSM will use those as exact coordinates.

However given it's very easy to fake netLog data and send erroneous coordinates to EDSM, it will also accept distance measurements from people to confirm those netLog results as correct ones.

Then there's also the locked systems, like the Col 70 sector where players cannot enter. Since we can't enter these systems, they can't be mapped using netLog data. These systems rely purely on distance measurements.

What I meant with "Not sure whether the coordinates from EDSM were accurate" is that I didn't check whether the values for those specific systems originated from netLog data or whether they were still using trilaterated coordinates in EDSM.

a few notes about the UP.

For the people trying to find them either in other places or in ammonia worlds

The truth is, after being aware of the Anomaly (threat 2), I stopped watching other signal source types and focused only on that, in the first system we found them and in the others. Also remember that MB said that 'not just ammonia worlds'. I'm not sure at what point it is important yet to identify the reason for this UP to appear there, but as far as I can tell only a few CMDRs are looking into this. I have to assume the majority of people is actually taking UPs from the known locations and ignoring we still have no idea where else they can be found so I'm going to write a few notes just in case someone else wants to give it a go, I'll be doing it anyway:

- Anomaly threat 2, is the only known source of FFUP we currently know, but what if close to the ammonia worlds, other signals being threat 2 or higher also include UPs? e.g. a distress call T 3 could as well have a ship stranded because of a UP, a convoy threat 2 could as well be carrying an UP, in general, I'd focus on anything that is Threat 2 or higher around the ammonia worlds.
- Other body types, as I said, I spent quite a lot of time and went through a lot of different signal types before 'assuming' the UP was not going to appear in other 'ammonia-based' bodies, but I admit after some time I was ignoring most of the signals (-expecting an Anomaly or Convoy threat 4-), so it might appear as well in another signal type.

From what we currently know, the UPs have been found as far as 70Ly from Merope. It seems to match the inner part of the shell due to lack of confirmation of UPs spawning outside of the shell, however it might as well be under another kind of pattern we are totally ignoring because in our pride we 'have solved' the mystery and all is done.

I don't know you, but I really think we are missing something.

I don't think he said "not just ammonia worlds", I think he said "it's not just ammonia that's required". I think he probably just meant that it's got to be a terrestrial ammonia world with ammonia plus oxygen or something. Can you track down the actual quote as the difference is pretty significant?

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

I believe EDSM relies on both.

If you submit netLog data, EDSM will use those as exact coordinates.

However given it's very easy to fake netLog data and send erroneous coordinates to EDSM, it will also accept distance measurements from people to confirm those netLog results as correct ones.

Then there's also the locked systems, like the Col 70 sector where players cannot enter. Since we can't enter these systems, they can't be mapped using netLog data. These systems rely purely on distance measurements.

What I meant with "Not sure whether the coordinates from EDSM were accurate" is that I didn't check whether the values for those specific systems originated from netLog data or whether they were still using trilaterated coordinates in EDSM.

Yes, that's right.

he said "it's not just ammonia worlds, but the ammonia is the significant part"

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...ad-8-The-Canonn/page603?p=4363513#post4363513

Why Ammonia (aside from Thargoids, cos that's all a bit meta-gamey at the moment). Well, it's one of the bases of life in general, for one thing:

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/scien...-life-may-have-come-from-outer-space-3884354/

Apparently, in Nasa's models, asteroids are the key carrier for water/Ammonia/C02 in this life creation. So maybe we need to explore some asteroid belts too :)

Last edited:
I don't think he said "not just ammonia worlds", I think he said "it's not just ammonia that's required". I think he probably just meant that it's got to be a terrestrial ammonia world with ammonia plus oxygen or something. Can you track down the actual quote as the difference is pretty significant?

He said:

]It's not just ammonia worlds, but the ammonia is the significant part.

Last edited:

RedWizzard, trust me, I know what I'm doing, I'm not that random ;)

Michael, I'm feeling like challenging the Alpha here, but I really didn't get any results on anomalies in previous bodies before the ammonia world so, when you said: 'not just only ammonia worlds, but..' I'm thinking more about: they don't only appear in space -but also on the ground- and this is why NOT only ammonia worlds. I'm confident that I searched thoroughly orbits of different -ammonia related- body types and I only found them in ammonia worlds, so the other theory I'm considering is: in different systems -e.g. another nebulae- they could be in other system types.

Actually, I spent some more time in the gas giant with ammonia life and haven't seen any anomaly at all after more than 12 different signals. So..

Last edited:
Surprised nobody mentioned this from the livestream, at 1:07:18

iT9TdOv.png

Octagonal ships shadowing the sun, after activating a UP EMP...

Or is that fan made?

Last edited:
Last edited:
My totally uneducated guess is ... the system with one sun, two belts and three rings (the name of which, I forget at this moment), will be inundated with UA & UP from the 28th (not sure which month)

I won't be surprised if I am 100% wrong, and if someone has already posted this possibility (apologies for not reading back through the thread)

that sound glitch has to mean something. was on its own in the morning stream, and just now repeated exactly the same way overlayed by a alien image we already saw. starts at 56:46

[video=youtube_share;ifFdr22Sk9U]https://youtu.be/ifFdr22Sk9U?t=3400[/video]

Last edited:
cant be...it repeated in the stream that is now running, the exact same way, just overlayed by an image we already saw a day before.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom