UAs, Barnacles and other mysteries Thread 8 - The Canonn

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
It didn't happen 52 years ago. All we know is that the war ended, not very long after 3125.

In FFE, the year 3151 is mentoined as the end of the war.

Whatever happened in the 3250s was not THE war. If anything happened at all, it was only a few isolated encounters.

I meant official.

Devs have told and Drew has told that only the new books and Galnet are lore. It's quite clear from these sources that the retcon is not a reboot of Elite history. Lots of stuff from the old games will carry over to ED, we just don't know exactly what.

Things like the huge andriod population and the Empire being mostly clones are probably edited out of history. Prince Harrold probably never turned into monkey and there was never a peace treathy with the Thargoids.

The nine galaxies has never existed and there were neve scentinent felines or bug eyed monsters.

Lots of stuff is gone for ever, but much is still relevant. We have to wait for Galnet, to know for sure.

ah hello? WHAT!? monkey!!!? **catches himself reacting insulted and annoyed in public** aaaahhh move on nothing to see here

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

Found the Thargoid article, if anyone needs a refresher: https://community.elitedangerous.com/galnet/uid/57ada8969657baeb6e876c6c

Frontier needs to add a way to search through and filter stories that doesn't involve manually scanning through every article one day at a time.

in the basement there are wooden cabinets with hundreds of little drawers...i the drawers are thousands of cards....on the cards....

also in some fancier basements are things with viewing scopes and rolly film stufff...

I meant official.

There is nothing official on this. The Thargoid Galnet article is all we have. Some time between 3125 and 3200. Probably closer to 3125.

FD are deliberately witholding the facts. Partly to put players in the same situation as most people in the Galaxy. Partly to have the freedom to adapt the past as well as the future.

Slightly off topic but myself and a few others have wondered if we have some sort of "detective board". I have yet to see one and am thinking of creating one that would have multiple mysteries that would be connected by galnet articles,hints, experiments, etc, represented as lines. Solid lines for solid connections, dotted for possible/unverified connections. My question to the masses is, which application do you think would be best for creating this? Free,shareable, and maybe even peer editable. Any suggestions? I may start work on it relatively soon. Interest and input would be appreciated. Perhaps the displaying these things visually would help deciphering possible connections or potential areas to research.

o7

***starts monopolising the market of red string***

There is nothing official on this. The Thargoid Galnet article is all we have. Some time between 3125 and 3200. Probably closer to 3125.

FD are deliberately witholding the facts. Partly to put players in the same situation as most people in the Galaxy. Partly to have the freedom to adapt the past as well as the future.

Yeah thats what I thought.

It makes sense as FD want to create their own narrative using previous stories in some sort of myth legend conjuncture.

This is why Galnet needs to be more specifuc in reporting Fact Fiction, opinion or politicial agenda.

A simple overview at the start of the article or a short prognosis will do. Galnet needs to remain neautral, also as someone earlier a proper database needs to be constructed with a search function.

Its very easy to set up a keyword search, this can be done on the website and not in game of course.

Something similar for local news also. You should be able to look at local news without being in that system.

It makes sense as FD want to create their own narrative using previous stories in some sort of myth legend conjuncture.

This is why Galnet needs to be more specifuc in reporting Fact Fiction, opinion or politicial agenda.

A simple overview at the start of the article or a short prognosis will do. Galnet needs to remain neautral, also as someone earlier a proper database needs to be constructed with a search function.

Its very easy to set up a keyword search, this can be done on the website and not in game of course.

Something similar for local news also. You should be able to look at local news without being in that system.

Personally il stick to the original lore, least that made sense and wasnt thought up on the spur of the moment and was done by people who understood storyline progression. The latest storyboard team are as useful as the brewery remark i made earlier. Its all a bit too scattered and needs to be focused. As for shutting off systems with insta lockdown permits is just plain sad, it says to me "we havent a clue what were doing" , i wanted to explore out that way just for the sake of it.. i can not and plotting a route now takes 5-10kly around the area.. sorry im not going to be logging into this game much from here onwards.. Star citizen seems to deliver a lot more. Shame really Shame on frontier for wrecking their game to the point where boredom has set in. i see a lot of the old die hard regulars playing other games now..All were left with is pvp trolls and newbies who have little time for stories. Still cant wait for the next twitch stream where they arent knocking the game's slow progression.

o/ peace out.

this article - https://community.elitedangerous.com/galnet/uid/57c6dfef9657ba7a0d46a7fb
"Many are speculating that this is evidence of recent Thargoid activity," said Professor Steven Eisler of the Okinura Xenobiology Institute, "but it's more likely that the wreckage dates from our first encounters with the Thargoids."

That to me clearly states to me that what was retconned actually wasn't. It is a freelance report, but when we get told originally that we should treat previous games as non official to lore in this game, and then official galnet articles go ahead and suggest the opposite... This guy has effectivly come out and said "hey. this is probably a wreck from that war we had with them how ever many years ago it was in prev games that everyone was aware of" which goes against what we've been told.

Think about it a little more... The people - citizens, traders and such - think that Thargoid is just the money-gathering campaign of the major powers, but that in no way suggests that nobody knows that Thargoids were real. They were in fact real, some people know or believe this too, even if it's a minority. If you want to go any deeper: GALNET knows some believe that Thargoids existed, so why not just toss a bone to this smaller community, more news, conflicts and dramas - Media wins.

Slightly off topic but myself and a few others have wondered if we have some sort of "detective board". I have yet to see one and am thinking of creating one that would have multiple mysteries that would be connected by galnet articles,hints, experiments, etc, represented as lines. Solid lines for solid connections, dotted for possible/unverified connections. My question to the masses is, which application do you think would be best for creating this? Free,shareable, and maybe even peer editable. Any suggestions? I may start work on it relatively soon. Interest and input would be appreciated. Perhaps the displaying these things visually would help deciphering possible connections or potential areas to research.

o7

Something like Onenote is what you're after.

sorry im not going to be logging into this game much from here onwards.. Star citizen seems to deliver a lot more. Shame really Shame on frontier for wrecking their game to the point where boredom has set in.

Sorry mate but i find this comment a bit ridiculous.. you find ED boring, but compare it star citizen that has more to offer, yet still waiting for a release date, after continuous delays? [wacko]

Think about it a little more... The people - citizens, traders and such - think that Thargoid is just the money-gathering campaign of the major powers, but that in no way suggests that nobody knows that Thargoids were real. They were in fact real, some people know or believe this too, even if it's a minority. If you want to go any deeper: GALNET knows some believe that Thargoids existed, so why not just toss a bone to this smaller community, more news, conflicts and dramas - Media wins.

Because game wise it makes everything confusing.

Galnet should be neutral as its not run by any faction as far as Im aware.

Its a central news reporting agency.

If you introduce biased dynamics into the only source of information in game then that becomes a problem in terms of gameplay.

I'm not sure you understand the purpose of Galnet. It's an in-universe news service that reports using an in-universe perspective, not a lore encyclopedia. Why wouldn't opinions be mixed in with facts?

Because game wise it makes everything confusing.

Galnet should be neutral as its not run by any faction as far as Im aware.

Its a central news reporting agency.

If you introduce biased dynamics into the only source of information in game then that becomes a problem in terms of gameplay.

You're holding a fictional, in-universe news service to standards that even real-life media organizations don't meet. Bias is everywhere.

I get that people are trying to rationalise whats going on from an in universe perspective, but how on earth can you continue to ignore the issues it causes for the player base? When you say that the story follows path x, and then in reality it follows path y, 1) Which path do you believe and expect for future updates 2) how can you be expected to enjoy and want to participate in the story more and more? which is surely what the goal of every storyteller is. Get your audience wanting more, keep them interested as long as the story can go on for, and give them something they'll look back fondly on in the future as a good experience in their lives. This game has that potential, but its being hamstrung by little technicalities like this that for the most part people seem happy to ignore - which I can't understand given how contradictory some of the things are we've mentioned tonight. It's like Dumbledore being heavily inferred as to having zero magical ability and then him going on to display pretty serious skills in magic. How is the story's audience supposed to take it? I guess this is the sort of thing only a minority care about while everyone else is happy to just ignore it. I will reiterate again that all these issues are easily solved with an article or a dev post clearly stating that x happened and y didn't, or x is true and y is false, to everything.

so guys, by far is the fallen alien ship at Pleiades Sector AB-W B2-4 system the closest approach in the "thargoids story"? or there are some new investigations or quests to be solved? are the galnet news related with this, i mean for example the "Out of Reach, Not Out of Mind" story?

so guys, by far is the fallen alien ship at Pleiades Sector AB-W B2-4 system the closest approach in the "thargoids story"? or there are some new investigations or quests to be solved? are the galnet news related with this, i mean for example the "Out of Reach, Not Out of Mind" story?

Guess you could say that's what the threads mainly debating at the moment, what everything means and how it's all related if it even is. It is a bit of a mess however.

I get that people are trying to rationalise whats going on from an in universe perspective, but how on earth can you continue to ignore the issues it causes for the player base? When you say that the story follows path x, and then in reality it follows path y, 1) Which path do you believe and expect for future updates 2) how can you be expected to enjoy and want to participate in the story more and more? which is surely what the goal of every storyteller is. Get your audience wanting more, keep them interested as long as the story can go on for, and give them something they'll look back fondly on in the future as a good experience in their lives. This game has that potential, but its being hamstrung by little technicalities like this that for the most part people seem happy to ignore - which I can't understand given how contradictory some of the things are we've mentioned tonight. It's like Dumbledore being heavily inferred as to having zero magical ability and then him going on to display pretty serious skills in magic. How is the story's audience supposed to take it? I guess this is the sort of thing only a minority care about while everyone else is happy to just ignore it. I will reiterate again that all these issues are easily solved with an article or a dev post clearly stating that x happened and y didn't, or x is true and y is false, to everything.

When the story follows path X but then diverts to path Y, that's called a plot twist (same with your Dumbledore example). Obfuscation is as much a part of storytelling as a denouement. If it turns out the alien wreck is a Thargoid ship that crashed only very recently and not in the war, then the Eisler article is a red herring. Simple as that.

I'm not sure you understand the purpose of Galnet. It's an in-universe news service that reports using an in-universe perspective, not a lore encyclopedia. Why wouldn't opinions be mixed in with facts?

You're holding a fictional, in-universe news service to standards that even real-life media organizations don't meet. Bias is everywhere.

You can still present opinions and facts an political agenda etc.

All Galnet needs to do is present these things in that manner.

Also news agencys have tie ins to their country they are based.

Galnet is galaxy wide and not attached to an Faction.

This should make it very easy to hold it to a higher standard of reporting as it holds no political biased unlike news repirting agencys that we have today.

If it was affiliated to a certain faction or territory then there would be several different news agencys. Local news has this so most articles are biased.

Galnet should not have any of these issues by design therefore it stands to reason that Galnet presents news in a non biased manner which it does.

What I am talking about is the presentation.

If an article is about an opinion you present it as an opinion, if its a scientific theory you present it as a theory. If its dact you present it as fact with the evidence required etc.

There is nothing wrong with what Galnet is reporting but just how its presented to the gamer.

For example the article I questioned originally was fine but how Galnet submitted it lacked clarity. For me this is unproffesional and for a huge company that is the only central galaxy news reporting agency it makes no sense.

Of course in reality Galnet is run by 1 or 2 people in an office qho choose what articles to publish and maybe don't have the time to think about these things or don't understand how an unbiased news agency would work.

In reality if this happened and there was biased to the feds the imps would set up their own Galnet.

Galnet can only exist in the manner it does with a monopoly on Galactic news if it only reports things without biased and in a proffesional manner. If it doesn't then it cant survive as the Galaxy isn't Communist.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom