UAs, Barnacles and other mysteries Thread 8 - The Canonn

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Mycoid want work this time. The aliens have switched from polymers to Meta-Alloys.

Not that we can't fix that. Mycoid's original civilian use was to break down alloys into separated elements. ;)

Toxandji Virocide also seem like handy pest control. Don't destroy their thech. again though. I want it.:D

Onionhead to get their bioships high ;)

Ok CMDRs, let me present you this scenario, and please MB take note ;)

What would be really AWESOME for me:
Let's assume that the Thargoids, or whatever Aliens, will come and will be aggressive, enemies.
What I really hope, as a scientist, is that they should be somehow INVINCIBLE when they first show up: the only thing we could do is flee as fast as we can.

BUT

they of course (as in any respectable Alien-Sci-Fi movie) will have a WEAK POINT (ore more) we players have to discover. With sacrifice of course, and with science. This could obviously be everything, from a particular engineered weapon, to places where to hit them, or both, or whatever similar (scanning them with ADS? :) ). EVEN A NEW WEAPON NOT ALREADY PRESENT IN GAME, we need to BUILD somehow (first research, then CGs, or similar).
That would be awesome, and a clever way to engage the "scientific community" like we are, as well as all the player base: experiments and sacrifice. Science and Combat.
In my case I love Combat as well so I'll be even happier ;)

Rep
Perfect idea.

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

That's a fitting example ;)

More I would like that the evil aliens are something even worse than Thargoids. And the Thargoids come along to assist us. And the alliance has the benefit from the...well alliance, because of history.

Rep
Perfect idea.

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

More I would like that the evil aliens are something even worse than Thargoids. And the Thargoids come along to assist us. And the alliance has the benefit from the...well alliance, because of history.

Now, I know that it's "already seen" and too much "Independent Day" like: but some kind of apparently invincible shields around them, could be very scary :D
Once these shields are taken down somehow, they become vulnerable just like any other ship in game ;)

Last edited:

I really hope that this will happen exactly. The engineers will develop that kind of weapon with our help. For the players and the game's sake the aliens at first will show up outside of the bubble, and when we are (more or less) ready, they will attack the bubble.

Peter

Ps.: It's too simple. I have a feeling there will be more twists in the end.

Last edited:

Michael Brookes

Game Director
Been playing with 3D Tools.

Say hi to the Pleiades local area:
http://i.imgur.com/3fadKi4.png

I used a Black Sphere for the Pleiades Sector and cuboids for all other sectors for now.
I wouldn't mind seeing a point plotter tool to prove the shape of the smaller sectors or regions.
The opacity increases for smaller areas.

Here we have:
- Mel 22 Sector - Cyan
- Hyades Sector - Purple
- Taurus Dark Region - Brown
- Hind Sector - Yellow
- Arietis Sector - Green
- Aries Dark Region - Red
- Struve's Lost Sector - Dark Red

Our sectors are all spheres.

Michael

Let's assume that the Thargoids, or whatever Aliens, will come and will be aggressive, enemies.
What I really hope, as a scientist, is that they should be somehow INVINCIBLE when they first show up: the only thing we could do is flee as fast as we can.

BUT

they of course (as in any respectable Alien-Sci-Fi movie) will have a WEAK POINT (ore more) we players have to discover. With sacrifice of course, and with science. This could obviously be everything, from a particular engineered weapon, to places where to hit them, or both, or whatever similar (scanning them with ADS? :) ). EVEN A NEW WEAPON NOT ALREADY PRESENT IN GAME, we need to BUILD somehow (first research, then CGs, or similar).
That would be awesome, and a clever way to engage the "scientific community" like we are, as well as all the player base: experiments and sacrifice. Science and Combat.

We could all fall back to human bubble 2 as they try to destroy us. Personally though I would prefer a peaceful alien race.

I really hope that this will happen exactly. The engineers will develop that kind of weapon with our help. For the players and the game's sake the aliens at first will show up outside of the bubble, and when we are (more or less) ready, they will attack the bubble.

Peter

So, yet another "kill the evil Aliens" Thing? No, please no.
I would prefer something like Ships/Crabs start to randomly showing up, lets say around the bubble at first, later in some smaller, populated Systems and we have to find a way to communicate and interact with them, or at least what are this "visits" are all about.

Peter

It's a bit simple. I hope the aliens are nasty and virtually indestructible and don't have a weak point.

We will have to find the good old Thargoids, beg them for forgiveness, bring them antidote (biggest and most dangerous CG ever) and hope they help us.

That would be both epic and humiliating at the same time. :D

So, yet another "kill the evil Aliens" Thing? No, please no.
I would prefer something like Ships/Crabs start to randomly showing up, lets say around the bubble at first, later in some smaller, populated Systems and we have to find a way to communicate and interact with them, or at least what are this "visits" are all about.
I´d say with more then one additional (species?/tribe?) or Thargoids of different hives also might be in territorial fight / fight og queens-> two individuals fighting :) let me be the arbitrator which cashes in from both sides :)

Last edited:

Michael

So presumably stars that don't fall into a sphere because of packing are sector-less?

I wonder if sectors are placed manually, auto-gen, or what? And if they're generated what packing (regular or not; dense vs. cubic) they are?

Science time!

Last edited:

Michael

Like soap bubbles, where you get flat sides where they intersect?
Bild+2.png

Last edited:
I used a Black Sphere for the Pleiades Sector and cuboids for all other sectors for now.
I wouldn't mind seeing a point plotter tool to prove the shape of the smaller sectors or regions.
The opacity increases for smaller areas.

Have some estimated positions for everything centred within 300Ly of the Pleiades Sector centre... :)

Lyncis Sector: centre [-68.5195, 65.1016, -141.0391], radius 70.0 Ly
Arietis Sector: centre [-72.1602, -76.8281, -135.3691], radius 80.0 Ly
Pleiades Sector: centre [-81.7539, -149.4141, -343.3477], radius 100.0 Ly
Hind Sector: centre [-32.9531, -206.3906, -557.2852], radius 100.0 Ly
Aries Dark Region: centre [-93.5703, -184.5352, -257.0840], radius 100.0 Ly
Taurus Dark Region: centre [-62.3789, -103.4766, -443.8477], radius 100.0 Ly
Struve's Lost Sector: centre [-30.9570, -178.3672, -466.0762], radius 100.0 Ly
Hyades Sector: centre [0.0000, -56.6758, -138.8809], radius 144.0 Ly
Mel 22 Sector: centre [-104.1367, -195.3867, -437.1270], radius 172.0 Ly

Like soap bubbles, where you get flat sides where they intersect?
Nope... Best we can tell, smaller sectors take priority over larger ones, and then it appears to be an arbitrary priority list between sectors of the same size. Either way, one sector always "wins", no flat edges. :)

So presumably stars that don't fall into a sphere because of packing are sector-less?
Systems that don't fall into a hand-authored sphere like these just use the normal procedurally-generated sectors (Dumbooe, Synuefe, Wregoe, ...). Those are cubes.

Last edited:
Have some estimated positions for everything centred within 300Ly of the Pleiades Sector centre... :)

Lyncis Sector: centre [-68.5195, 65.1016, -141.0391], radius 70.0 Ly
Arietis Sector: centre [-72.1602, -76.8281, -135.3691], radius 80.0 Ly
Pleiades Sector: centre [-81.7539, -149.4141, -343.3477], radius 100.0 Ly
Hind Sector: centre [-32.9531, -206.3906, -557.2852], radius 100.0 Ly
Aries Dark Region: centre [-93.5703, -184.5352, -257.0840], radius 100.0 Ly
Taurus Dark Region: centre [-62.3789, -103.4766, -443.8477], radius 100.0 Ly
Struve's Lost Sector: centre [-30.9570, -178.3672, -466.0762], radius 100.0 Ly
Hyades Sector: centre [0.0000, -56.6758, -138.8809], radius 144.0 Ly
Mel 22 Sector: centre [-104.1367, -195.3867, -437.1270], radius 172.0 Ly

Nope... Best we can tell, smaller sectors take priority over larger ones, and then it appears to be an arbitrary priority list between sectors of the same size. Either way, one sector always "wins", no flat edges. :)

Systems that don't fall into a hand-authored sphere like these just use the normal procedurally-generated sectors (Dumbooe, Synuefe, Wregoe, ...). Those are cubes.

I only looked at the sectors within 150Ly

Pleiades Sector: [-77.86904394, -130.8340037, -348.9115099] radius 95.484375
Aries Dark Region: [-110.6819779, -182.1124498, -230.8647088] radius 95.546875
Arietis Sector: [-103.7070163, -95.92420977, -140.1940852] radius 72.609375
Col 285 Sector: [-50.47104867, 25.81944689, 22.3287671] radius 325.078125
Hind Sector: [-33.37219451, -188.3626091, -551.9223036] radius 95.125
Hyades Sector: [46.48560317, -43.50344569, -184.5334163] radius 139.125
Mel 22 Sector: [-137.5137634, -166.4439843, -449.3235023] radius 168.6875
Struve's Lost Sector: [0.116456835, -200.4449191, -444.5908273 ] radius 96.6875
Taurus Dark Region: [-69.16222527, -84.93255495, -448.6108516] radius 97.96875

Like I said, I'm not that happy with my methodology for centering the spheres though.
Got a thread for the mapping tool over here: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/286978-Galactic-Sector-Map

BUT

Yes completely as long as it is not too obviously gamey ie

1. Oh they're almost invulnerable
2. Oh we've found the magic weak point and now they are completely powerless to resist us

As with any arms race, I would hope that they would adapt / evolve just as we would. So we may find an initial vulnerability, but they will be quick to close down any discovered weak points in their hardware / software / tactics etc. We then need to find a new angle again to keep beating them ;)

And combat, yes combat. I want them to be a tough fight, no matter what. Why? At the moment combat is a pretty mindless deathmatch free for all. There is no depth - CZ or RES or PvP, take your pick. I want scenarios where we have to work together in teams employing some degree of tactics to overcome them. Please FD, please!!!

Honestly, i don't think even FDev have a clue. They are focused on their slipping time frames for making the game even wider.
Thargoids are last of their mind, when they have face creator to work on, with extra twirly mustaches to sell for top dollars in store, right next to bobbleheads.

Honestly, i don't think even FDev have a clue. They are focused on their slipping time frames for making the game even wider.
Thargoids are last of their mind, when they have face creator to work on, with extra twirly mustaches to sell for top dollars in store, right next to bobbleheads.

Reading unfortunately very realistic:cool:

The twirly moustache men and the face people are probably different teams to the alien people.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom