UAs, Barnacles and other mysteries Thread 8 - The Canonn

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
If they are aliens and we have a chance to choose, I say we enslave them (did Emperor Arissa suggest this subtly? me being imperial sided hasn't got anything to do with this). Enslaving will initially generate a lot of conflicts, problems and such, but they are a great workforce (even if they turn out to be something other than an insect) and enslaving them allows us to study them and their craftsmanship. Peace / trade is very nice on the long run too, but even as trade parties or better, we will keep our own secrets and keep our own species' survival as first priority.
The only assumptions here are: there is something to learn from these aliens and we can finish this war as victors.

What do you guys think is the best? Peace / Enslavement / Destruction and the lamentation of their women?
We should probably make a poll about this, no?

I think we should take a scientific/anthropological/biological approach to any "visitors", rather than subscribing to the political whims of the Bubble Powers. Even if they prove to be a danger, they are still worthy of study.

The twirly moustache men and the face people are probably different teams to the alien people.

I'm worried that twirly moustaches are the reason why my custom FAS paintjob hasn't materialised since the Christmas charity livestream. Tjaart and Zac said it was good to go three months ago, then nothing. Oh well, hopefully before next Christmas :D

Alright, so about 10,000 posts ago on this thread, someone found a UP orbiting an Ammonia World within the Merope shell.

I am wondering whether any have been found outside of the shell?

I was flying in close for an investigation into an ammonia world I discovered (I was the first) about 3,100 LY from Merope when a USS popped. I fudged the drop onto the USS by not waiting until it was in front of me (damn nerves ...), and it disappeared when I re-entered SC.

Is it worth sticking around to see whether it may re-spawn here? Has anyone else found a UP that far outside of the bubble orbiting an ammonia world? D$$&^d shame I missed it - really beating myself up about that.

I had a look through a couple hundred posts after that, but ... oh the humanity of it all. Can anyone save me another few hours of searching with a quick & easy yea or nea? Thanks!

Last edited:
Alright, so about 10,000 posts ago on this thread, someone found a UP orbiting an Ammonia World within the Merope shell.

I was flying in close for an investigation into an ammonia world I discovered (I was the first) about 3,100 LY from Merope when a USS popped. I fudged the drop onto the USS by not waiting until it was in front of me (damn nerves ...), and it disappeared when I re-entered SC.

Is it worth sticking around to see whether it may re-spawn here? Has anyone else found a UP that far outside of the bubble orbiting an ammonia world? D$$&^d shame I missed it - really beating myself up about that.

I had a look through a couple hundred posts after that, but ... oh the humanity of it all. Can anyone save me another few hours of searching with a quick & easy yea or nea? Thanks!
By my experiences in deep-space (Ok, corewards, don´t know where U have been) are that further out than 1500LY from the bubble the only spawns U get are degraded emission threat 0 with an explorer wreck, mayby data, maybe cannisters. And further out than 5000-6000LY even this stops completely.

Nevertheless, I currently wouldn´t exclude anything as not possible, until proven different :)

Last edited:
o7 CMDR RandolfK.

Agreed that it may be possible to find a UP here, but the chances appear significantly diminished. At any rate, I spent another half hour flitting around the ammonia world to no avail, so I packed up my tent and trundled on off.

Several of us out near Jaques have tried searching ammonia worlds this far out to no avail. I personally have been using the speed & distance instructions....still saw nothing.

Dear fellow Cdrs.,

Pleiades Project Survey Team (incl. me :) ) in the last days already posted several interim-results, herewith we summarize our findings in regard
of spawning probabilities in the below shown

UP Hunters Manual

It needs clearly to be stated, that this is a guide to improve spawning-rate only, but as UP´s seem to be in the probability of around 8% of all spawns in orbit of UP carrying worlds, pushing the rate is the best way to save time.

Cdr. HeinzE tested today and had his first UP after 10 minutes, I continued testing at Pleiades KM-W d1-40 B11 and had two UP within the first 27 Minutes of SC time (SL doesn´t count as here no spawn can occur) - and the next 1 1/2 hours only rubbish.
Cdr. MadDogMurdock
is warming up to test himself.. "...if it works for me, it works for everybody..." ;)

Nevertheless, for first-time hunters or those who prefer a more comfy hunt I suggest You go Pleiades KM-W d1-40 B11 or HIP 20785, as the orbits are quite high and You do not need to adjust by yaw every5-10 seconds, its relaxed flying. Only disadvantage - speed adjustment is tricky.

And here a list of some orbits for selected Planets (for the lazy ones....)
optimizedorbits.jpg

EDIT: orbit Pleiades KM-W d1-40 B11 (as having Ring at 0,18 Ls) is 0,29Ls

Last edited:
Dear fellow Cdrs.,

Pleiades Project Survey Team (incl. me :) ) in the last days already posted several interim-results, herewith we summarize our findings in regard

UP Hunters Manual

[url]https://uploadix.de/images/2016/09/08/UPHuntersManual.jpg[/URL]

It needs clearly to be stated, that this is a guide to improve spawning-rate only, but as UP´s seem to be in the probability of around 8% of all spawns in orbit of UP carrying worlds, pushing the rate is the best way to save time.

Cdr. HeinzE tested today and had his first UP after 10 minutes, I continued testing at Pleiades KM-W d1-40 B11 and had two UP within the first 27 Minutes of SC time (SL doesn´t count as here no spawn can occur) - and the next 1 1/2 hours only rubbish.
Cdr. MadDogMurdock
is warming up to test himself.. "...if it works for me, it works for everybody..." ;)

Nevertheless, for first-time hunters or those who prefer a more comfy hunt I suggest You go Pleiades KM-W d1-40 B11 or HIP 20785, as the orbits are quite high and You do not need to adjust by yaw every5-10 seconds, its relaxed flying. Only disadvantage - speed adjustment is tricky.

https://uploadix.de/images/2016/09/08/optimizedorbits.jpg

Nice work Dolf.

Rep later, when I'm of the phone.

Dear fellow Cdrs.,

UP Hunters Manual

[url]https://uploadix.de/images/2016/09/08/UPHuntersManual.jpg[/URL]

Cdr. MadDogMurdock

https://uploadix.de/images/2016/09/08/optimizedorbits.jpg

I'm missing something between step 4 and 5 regarding the appropriate speed but is the short story:

With about 75% throttle, orbit the planet at a height that keeps your speed between 200-250km/s

About CrabWreck (TM ;))...I notice they skinned it with 8bit textures. I wonder why?

1. To make it look old?
2. To disguise any giveaway details? I found what could be markings on the 'legs' that could be symbolic, but it's impossible to confirm with the texture quality. All the texturing looks kinda geometric up close.
3. To improve performance? Not sure this would be necessary, it's not that large a structure
4. To make a 'live' one look better when we finally see one in proper detail?

Apparently it is now 'protected' by an Imperial warship, ugh...

I'm missing something between step 4 and 5 regarding the appropriate speed but is the short story:

With about 75% throttle, orbit the planet at a height that keeps your speed between 200-250km/s
Just keep the throttle at 4 pips and take the speed You get.

Different orbit heights - also this was tested.
The tests conducted show quite a drop in spawn-rate if You go nearer to the body than factor 0,0025.
For example Pleiades KM-W d1-40 B11, during initial trials (not considering the Ring) I calculated an orbit of 0,16 Ls, got a below average spawn-rate of 6,35, did go down to a 4 pips orbit at 20 Mm -rate dropped further to 5,94 and in 5 hours testing not one UP.

Cdr. HeinzE gave me his logs (he was on 0,2 Ls) and this picture occured (he had the 6,66)

PleiadesKW-Mrates.jpg

That made us consider the Ring and test orbit 0,29 Ls with the described results....

Last edited:
Also this was tested.
The tests conducted show quite a drop in spawn-rate if You go nearer to the body than factor 0,0025.
For example Pleiades KM-W d1-40 B11, during initial trials (not considering the Ring) I calculated an orbit of 0,16 Ls, got a below average spawn-rate of 6,35, did go down to a 4 pips orbit at 20 Mm -rate dropped further to 5,94.
Cdr. HeinzE gave me his logs (he was on 0,2 Ls) and this pisture occured

https://uploadix.de/images/2016/09/07/PleiadesKW-Mrates.jpg

That made us consider the Ring and test orbit 0,29 Ls with the described results....

Ok. You might be onto something but this is way too convoluted to ever be sure that I'm doing it right.
Unless there is a simpler explanation I'll have to pass.
My results would be inconclusive because the method is too hard. Sorry.

Ok. You might be onto something but this is way too convoluted to ever be sure that I'm doing it right.
Unless there is a simpler explanation I'll have to pass.
My results would be inconclusive because the method is too hard. Sorry.
just use the orbits from table and keep ur speed between 215-250- simple as that.
the detailed description is needed if U test a new planet :)

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom