UAs, Barnacles & More Thread 5 - The Canonn

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the one thing the trailer DOES show us that the barnacle is in a misty area? Or is that just a factor of having brightened it so much?

I guess this may have been said before but....
I have a hunch that the UA's do not point at Merope, they in fact point AWAY from Merope.
Of course, we do not know if UA's are related to barnacles or not. If they are related then it would suggest that a barnacle spawns UA's and spreads them 135ly from source.
With all that rambling over I want to try something which I am happy to share as I may not get time to fire up ED today.

Take a UA close to another nebula and see where it points away/to...

Maybe another race want to set up home hidden in a nebula close to the human bubble?

Thoughts?

I have a hunch that the UA's do not point at Merope, they in fact point AWAY from Merope.
Of course, we do not know if UA's are related to barnacles or not. If they are related then it would suggest that a barnacle spawns UA's and spreads them 135ly from source.
With all that rambling over I want to try something which I am happy to share as I may not get time to fire up ED today.

Maybe another race want to set up home hidden in a nebula close to the human bubble?

Thoughts?

By all means try it. It is possible you'll figure something out that others haven't previously.

However, I will say that UAs have already been taken all over space by a variety of CMDRs and they always, ALWAYS point TO Merope.

A way to show this is to take the Same UA to a system one side of Merope, deploy it, watch it point to Merope. Then take it to a system the opposite side of Merope. Deply it again and see how it still points AT Merope.

Thoughts?

The UA rotates around a axis that goes thru Merope and the UA. The fat end faces Merope. It does this no matter what.
It has been tested in a lot of locations. Even Sag A.

So what exactly are we looking for here? Barnacles wise?

Barnacles.

For a visual aid, see Horizons trailer.

I wonder if FD have even considered the fact that a coordinated, community-wide, structured and documented grid-by-grid search will NEVER happen. Even here we are 62 pages in and we are still at square 1 with nothing to show and none the wiser. Don't get me wrong - nothing wrong with that per se, it's just indicative of the fact that Elite has never been and never will be a multiplayer game: It is as per DB's vision essentially a Single player experience with limited Multiplayer functionality.

As such, FD cannot and should not expect a community-wide get-together as the only reasonable way to find these barnacles. A single/solo player should have just as much chance to find them and a coordinated group of a thousand pilots.

Yes, one could argue that that is indeed the case atm as it's an absolute crapshoot at with nothing other to go on than 'It's in the Pleiades'. In other words, all have an equal chance of stumbling blind onto one of these POI's.That said, just take a step back and think about that......A stoopidly ridiculous task to set a lone Commander with limited time on their hands.

Yes, FD might very well have a 10-year plan but using Barnacles to stretch time is not the way to do it.

In conclusion, no, I don't want another clue. I do want FD to sit down, take a look at these 5 mega-threads which netted exactly one item (UA) and speculation/search of another (Barnacle/Alloy) and objectively consider whether the manner and means of the lazy approach undertaken to point us in a direction was really the best way they could have handled this ongoing part of the storyline.

If the answer is yes then so be it: I'll dial my expectations waaaaay waaaaay back for future developments of the 'story'. I can however only hope that they see it for what it is, a rather clumsy attempt, no doubt well intentioned, resulting in aimless searching for pop-ups and the like.

Cm'on FD, it's not too late: Inject some substance and mystery to the unfolding story, please :D

I must admit I have no idea what to do with this thing now.

[video=youtube;KGC1KtenLWA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGC1KtenLWA[/video]

As for the pointing to and from Merope thing, I managed to get one to point away from Merope:

[video=youtube;hkhBoav5CYI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkhBoav5CYI[/video]

Just a small reminder, what we are looking for (or is there a pic on the first page?):
View attachment 93752

Nicely done!

To me the large barnacles look to be what are growing on the spikes. The mature one on the spike in the background is clearly of considerable size if you consider it's perspective to the srv.

The large segmented area of green light to the right of the screen looks to be part of the large segmented bonelike structure and very UA like. The structure is something else altogether I think. A downed alien ship perhaps (weren't thargoid ships segmented and octagonal?. Maybe the UA's are a form of distress beacon. That or the disruptor field they emit is some sort of electronic preemptive strike on humanity with the UA's spreading it and acting like Sirens to lead us to something worse. First degrade, then destroy.

Either way, old man trouble's a comin.

Last edited:
As for the pointing to and from Merope thing, I managed to get one to point away from Merope:

They do sometimes point away from Merope but this is generally considered to be 'unusual' behaviour to the point of perhaps being a bug. This is because UAs that do not point towards Merope can be scooped and dropped again and then should reorientate towards Merope.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the one thing the trailer DOES show us that the barnacle is in a misty area? Or is that just a factor of having brightened it so much?

There could be some mist on the planet, but what you're seeing in that still is from lifting the brightness in the shadows, so it definitely wouldn't be as misty as the brightened stills.

Here's another version I did after the trailer came out with some very light color grading to try and even everything out from the green light contamination:
Sequence 01.00_00_07_26.Still009.jpg

Last edited:
Just don't forget that nowhere have we been told or found that the structure in the trailer is a large barnacle or a meta alloy source. It could just as easily be something else that's in the mix and unconnected. I am tempted to adjust my search criteria for meta alloy though, remove planets too hot for em from my list (melting point)

Thoughts?

Well for one, we're pretty sure that the UAs are related to the barnacles from the Meta-Alloy descriptions, AND the short clip in the Horizons trailer which is quite obviously similar to the UA in nature.

As for pointing away from Merope, its clear that it is pointing towards Merope. There is no reason for them to point away, it supplies no additional information and all our data points towards Merope/The Pleiades being the next step. Not to mention its already been confirmed by the devs that the next step is within the Pleiades.

P.S: I've started taking an interest in all this again thanks to having a more reliable control method (that doesn't crash my PC glares at Saitek) and have been spending a good amount of time searching moons in Merope. Currently on Merope 2D. Maybe it's time I awake from my slumber and actually participate in the discussion again ;)

-CMDR Murp

Last edited:
Just don't forget that nowhere have we been told or found that the structure in the trailer is a large barnacle or a meta alloy source. It could just as easily be something else that's in the mix and unconnected. I am tempted to adjust my search criteria for meta alloy though, remove planets too hot for em from my list (melting point)

While possibly true, having that in mind changes nothing about how rare they are. Nor does it inform us on what they might be so I'm just going to search as normal. It's cool speculation though.

I personally think they are definitely related to Meta-alloys, as it is meta-alloys that gives us the description that uses the term 'large barnacle' in the first place :)

I'm curious if anybody would like to wing up? I'm really intrigued by this and would love to jump into it. But i'm finding it a bit lonely in space lol, would be much more interesting with others. If you are interested in winging up, just send a pm. Hope to see people soon.

Just FYI:
I had a strange encounter on Maia A 7. While I was checking out a POI and flying into the center of it in about 1.2km height, I got distracted and started to fall. While I made my descent, I boosted up to get out of the gravity well as usual. After completion of the boost and getting back to 900m-ish, my heat started spiking for no reason I could see and I started taking heat damage. I panicked and crashed my asp into the dust of the 3.8g world. :(

I have no explanation for the heat so far. It should not be possible to be friction due to atmosphere, because Maia A 7 has none to create it I think. Otherwise we would not be able to land on it at this stage of horizons, right? I have crashed my ship on this godforsaken rock before and made similar maneuvers too without the heat spiking. I just wish I could have taken a look at that POI to see if it were anything out of the ordinary causing this before the ship broke apart...

Just FYI:
I had a strange encounter on Maia A 7. While I was checking out a POI and flying into the center of it in about 1.2km height, I got distracted and started to fall. While I made my descent, I boosted up to get out of the gravity well as usual. After completion of the boost and getting back to 900m-ish, my heat started spiking for no reason I could see and I started taking heat damage. I panicked and crashed my asp into the dust of the 3.8g world. :(

I have no explanation for the heat so far. It should not be possible to be friction due to atmosphere, because Maia A 7 has none to create it I think. Otherwise we would not be able to land on it at this stage of horizons, right? I have crashed my ship on this godforsaken rock before and made similar maneuvers too without the heat spiking. I just wish I could have taken a look at that POI to see if it were anything out of the ordinary causing this before the ship broke apart...

Very peculiar behaviour.

To my knowledge these things do not spawn at regular POIs but are instead on the surface outside of a POI as a piece of a planet's landscape. That is what is making them so hard to find.

However, that might not be 100% true. I'm not certain where I heard it and definitely not sure where they came to the conclusion.

Just FYI:

What ship do you have? That's a relatively high-G world so your should is working very hard. If you boost and change direction quickly, it does generate a lot of heat, very quickly. My Asp seems to be OK with it, but the Clipper melts very fast!

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom