UAs, Barnacles & More Thread 5 - The Canonn

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
I'm wondering if the barnacles are found in nebulae because that's a good spot to hide if you need to. All of the dust would be good to help disguise fleets and colonies, and the Thargoids are probably still pretty gunshy about getting too close to humans, after the whole attempted genocide thing. Now, my computer won't run Horizons (not going to ask for a refund, just going to buy a new system in a few months, I need an upgrade anyways :p), so I can't come help the search, but I'd think that the places to check would be near Ammonia worlds or gas giants with ammonia life. After all, arn't Thargoids supposedly a form of ammonia based life? Those kind of planets would be good for them, and I'd suppose that if the barnacles are related, they could be mining settlements and/or colonies forming on planets nearby.

I belive you are missing his point, he was saying that we haven't considered WHY they are found in nebulae. What reasoning is there for that being the location they are found? He's not asking why we are searching there/ how we know they are there.

This is why I'm not searching the Pleiades anymore. Yes, I'm sure that a barnacle site can be found there somewhere, but there are just too many locations. If we assume for a second that Barnacles can be found in at least one system of every nebula (I know, that's a stupid assumption, but I think at this point we have to start making assumptions*) I thought it would be wiser to find a nebula with just one system in it.

To this end I'm searching the Spirograph Nebula. The nebula consists of only one system with a few landable planets (and more landable moons). The nebula is small and is located around just one star. I doubt I'll have any better luck than anyone else, but there are plenty of people searching the Pleiades.

They are heading outward, pointing inward:D

I realise that they are apparently heading outward (based on where they've been found through time), but the idea that they're pointing inward is, as I said, moot.

Imagine I'm driving a car away from a city, and have a directional radio transmitter on the roof which sends data to the city. Is the car pointing inwards or outwards? If the transmitter is omnidirectional, and the car has a jet thruster at the rear, is it pointing towards or away from the city?

The notion that they are pointing in a particular direction depends on what their purpose or function is. If they are travelling away, then they could just as validly be said to be pointing in their direction of travel.

All we can say for sure is that they align on a vector defined by the position of Merope and the position of the particular UA - and every vector points in two directions.

Not directly related to the search here but has anyone had a canister fall from the sky toward them while they are in a SRV? I about :):):):) myself when an occupied escape pod landed next to me... it wasn't dropped by another player because it isn't degrading. You win this round RNG god.

Well just spent two days searching Merope 3a, 1d,1a,1b normal POIs so far. Got some nice cargo but nothing else. Just taking a break might spend another hour this evening.

A clue maybe?

I can't help feeling there is a clue in there somewhere.

CiZ4Q8Z.jpg

Dave said:
"My God, it's full of chocolate!"

Hi all,

Been mucking around for a few days and made this thing : http://lolcathost.co.uk/UAFiles

Only just got it up, it still needs some work the db isn't even indexed yet. It'll probably crash I bet when more than one person accesses it! Just wanted to get it up and have a break from doing it.

It works on Chrome, seems ok on Firefox, probably won't work on IE but I'm not too bothered about that. Probably won't work on mobile devices either, I have no idea.

It was just made for something to do really. It could be prettier, I'm no designer. =p

It's to help with the UA threads which seem to have ridiculous amounts of posts, it's an attempt to make the important bits more accessible.

Or for when there's something that happened 100 (or even 5) pages ago but you know it's gonna be a nightmare to find so don't bother and so can't dispute what someone is saying and so the cycle of repetition continues.

All it does is watch the UA threads and takes a copy of any post with an image, often that's the good stuff anyway.

It also tracks and keeps copies of posts from certain users, since people want to reference those often too. For now it's just MB and Kerrash.

Was in two minds about Kerrash because (no offense fella) he's not an employee and I think people tend to read too much into what he says anyway, but since people reference him a lot I've added him in so at least hopefully he will get misquoted less.

I've added all the 4 previous UA threads and this current one.

Hey, thank you for your work. I think this is an awesome Idea to manage all the Infos about the UAs! Maybe it is the first Step to start a big organized search for the Barnacles?

http://lolcathost.co.uk/UAFiles

Last edited:
Lost my SRV after game crash, found myself hurtling towards the centre of the planet in the SRV after the reload. Subsequent reloads did not resolve the issue.

Nothing showed up on the scanner though - lol

Anyway had to self distruct, where's the nearest outfitter station to Maia? Frontier servers have blessed me with at least a 500 ly round trip.

A thought on MB's comment about barnacles or meta-alloys (assuming they are related) tending to be found in nebulae...

There is something about nebulae that leads to a concentration.

If the barnacles are crashed Thargoid ships, then the Thargoids were hanging around nebulae for some reason. Were it otherwise, then they could conceivably be found anywhere. If they are Thargoid ships, but haven't crashed, then they were placed in nebulae for a reason - Thargoids pick a location, plant a ship (or some sort of structure) there, which presumably then emits UAs which move outwards.

Or, if Thargoids aren't a part of this, there is some naturally occurring process within nebulae that leads to the appearance or growth of these things.

Anyone know how to tell if a planet has been gravity captured? I've been reading the Expanse and it gave me an idea. Maybe the planet we're looking for is a rogue planet and was captured by the systems gravity well. The "space barnacle" has to get there somehow, so maybe it's been there for a very long time and has just been dormant. So does anyone know what stats to look for? Isn't it orbital eccentricity or angle of periapsis that tells you if a planet has been captured?

Hey, thank you for your work. I think this is an awesome Idea to manage all the Infos about the UAs! Maybe it is the first Step to start a big organized search for the Barnacles?

http://lolcathost.co.uk/UAFiles

Hah cheers. :)

I have no idea how all the UA infos can be managed.

At best this thing is just a summary though I think.

I thought maybe a timeline might be best using word tags but even then I can't actually see that being much use.

criosx has suggested he was thinking about something similar but tracking when people are quoted and keeping those messages, but I think the issue there is if someone comes on trolling that gets quoted a bunch of times and suddenly this is flagged as good content to archive. And often great content never gets quoted and disappears with minutes, lost forever.

Rep is almost ideal, when a post if repped archive, but this data is unavailable unfortunately. :(

So for now just images I think (and all MB DB and Kerrash posts, images are kinda a half decent summary of the flow of the thread anyway, and they are "at a glance" you don't have to bother reading anything. I mean if the thing had a page full of text and not the images then I think people would just not bother since it's just another wall of text to read.

Also a number of the images are actually information condensed anyway so having those is good. :)

It has been decoded/discussed before. The crashed Beacons transmit BROKEN, but with the letters out of sequence.

I'm not at my computer now, but are there any planets/systems with any of the following names?

'broken' is an anagram of:
Berkon
Bonker
Borken
Brenko
broekn
Brokne
Bronek
Kebron
kenbro
korben
Robken

HIGH ALERT

The following video was recorded by CMDR Kola2dono on Merope 3C. Notice the creepy noise. Canonn Members have been dispatched to the planet to further investigate this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVWbcZ0cLsQ&feature=youtu.be

What I hear is only sound from the scanner, hitting objects of different material.
And when the scanner dont hit any objects, the scanner just gives a white noise or something that sounds like a bad radio channel.
Its nothing to intressting going on there, sadly.

But at the end at 1:33, sounds like bubbles or something. I have never heard that one before. Creepy
Might head out there myself and take a look.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom