UAs, Barnacles & More Thread 5 - The Canonn

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Heavy elements at a guess.

Depends on the kind of nebula I think - planetary nebulae would have heavy elements. Star-forming nebulae are mostly H and He.
The Pleiades nebula isn't actually directly associated with the stars, they just happen to have bumped into each other, so I think it's the latter.

The persistent PoI link comes from one line in the patch notes last patch which said:

"Shouldn't have to drive away from the crashed ship sites and Barnacles to be able to recall your ship."

[...]

So yeah...we're just guessing but it's an educated guess.

Okay I see, thanks for teh info. Now on I can just dismiss the blue circles in my scanner (ah the amount of Tea I have on board, last me for years!) and focus using my eyes instead. Makes it more interesting as now on it can be anywhere, not just those blue markings.

-v

Depends on the kind of nebula I think - planetary nebulae would have heavy elements. Star-forming nebulae are mostly H and He.
The Pleiades nebula isn't actually directly associated with the stars, they just happen to have bumped into each other, so I think it's the latter.
anyway the MB hint taken as it is will not help us: too many stars are inside the 7 sister nebulae.
It is easier to think about the mist hints into the trailer... nebulae are like a mist too = search barnicle into the mist

Edited:
= search the Barnicle near the small mountains at the center of deep craters...

Last edited:
Mike - one thing that would be good for you to confirm (if you haven't already).

Is the location of the barnacle fixed POI solvable using in-game information as it stands? (as poster above notes, using clues from the trailer, that i wouldn't consider in-game information).

As a bonus, you could let us know if we already have all the information we need....

Celaeno (and the Pleiades) form a part of the Cthulhu mythos.

A recurring theme of Lovecraft is that the Old Ones, Cthulhu and his pals, like nothing better than residing in the deepest darkest places, waiting and watching. Read The Watcher In The Dark short story.

This has been my mindset the whole time. When I saw the Cthulhu face on the notebook, I started digging and found that one of the gods, Gtuhanai, was BASICALLY a black hole somewhere in the Pleiades. Since Maia's got the player station, a black hole, and loads of planets able to be landed on, I thought it would be a good start. To top it off, the black hole seems to darken the closest planets..? I imagine there's some physics behind that, and barnacles typically prefer darkness. Some types of barnacles even retract when they're exposed to light.

Anyway, Gtuhanai was the "Destroyer God of the Aartna", and the Aartna were metal alien beings somewhere in the Pleiades Cluster. Something I've been paying attention to, given that all of this is related to meta alloys, is the metal content of planets. So far my search hasn't turned up anything too hot, and I meant to write this days ago, but the system map in Maia seems to tell a story, like Gtuhanai has sucked the life from all the second row of planets and is coming for the top.

I know somewhere else somebody made the comparison of these space barnacles to real barnacles, and while I don't have his exact quote, a friend and I initially speculated that this alien race might be reproducing like barnacles: spermcasting. UAs seem to burst into tiny flecks when they're destroyed, barnacles somehow related to UAs, UAs point towards Merope (maybe the system they were trying to escape to?), "barnacles" thrive on high metal planets and may die or be less likely to be found on rocky planets. It would make sense if this followed the same pattern as UAs, and the barnacles begin to expand as time goes on. The spermcasting concept would also explain why UAs are becoming more common if barnacles are successfully finding their way to metal planets.

I guess it's all speculation and assumes that these aren't thargoid related, but even if the above is incorrect the Cthulhu portion still seems mighty convincing to me. Sometimes I find myself chanting to the black hole.

Regardless, one thing that did seem odd to me was the metal content in Merope: all planets aside from 5B and 5C have metal contents of 8.9%. 5B has 9.4% while 5C has 14%. That's 12 out of 14 planets in the system, 85%, all equal in terms of content. If this is the system where all the UAs point, maybe they would seek the higher metal content planets? Maybe all the other rocky worlds have been drained to the minimum metal content to allow a colony of barnacles to survive? I don't know. The Cthulhu theory and the nature of the UA pull me separate ways, but I've found myself hopping all over Maia and Merope 5B/5C.

Last edited:
Im now wondering given Michaels input a few minutes ago whether these Barnacles are absolutely massive! i.e larger than a typical settlement.

PR5, row 2, seats 5 and 6.

I'm thinking Pleiades Region PR-E b5-6
Or Pleiades Region PR-E b56.

Do either of those exist in-game? I'm away from a screen right now.

When I saw that Quote in the last UA thread, I focused on the additional sentence: ..... right in the middle, perfect height.....

Thinking that this must be Maia. Maia ist in the middle of the nebula. Row 2 might be the second row on the System map.

Places 5 and 6: Moons 5 and 6 (B2E und B2EA) around the second planet. Of course this is propably very wrong :p

Well in the Trailer at the end the buggy arrives at that the "Pyramid" , it seems to be fairly large.

Last edited:
Isn't it simply because a nebulae isn't a human concept but a tangible, visible landmark (spacemark ? ) in space from thousands of Ly away ?

Last edited:
Heavy/metallic elements at a guess.- gives the raw materials to go from being individual metals to producing meta-alloys.

Clarifying via quote below...

My thinking was that when a Star goes Nova, there are a lot of heavy elements ejected, event though they're not necessarily to be found within the nebula itself. The 'dust' contains some heavier elements, of course - but then the biggest composition of the nebula is, as rightly mentioned, H and He along with some N.

There are also a lot of hydrocarbons - with high Carbon atom counts - to be found 'on' the dust, too - so a lot of raw materials from which to build, or grow, something I guess.

Either way, there's more chemical energy available in a nebula than there is in 'normal' Interstellar space - so I guess that might be it.

I think you'll notice one if you're nearby.

And to those asking why nebulae - it's quite logical if you think about it :)

Michael

This makes me believe they are either incredibly luminous, incredibly large, or make similar noises to the UAs. Something loud and unusual that we would not miss. Perhaps a combination of all three?

It's frustrating that I have work in just over an hour and won't be home for a further 9 hours. I am so psyched to continue looking.

As for why Nebula, my guess is that they either feed on what is in the nebula... or... Nebulas are a good place to hide something you don't want found maybe? I'm less sure on that.

I keep looking at those 7 markings on the UAs head too, but so far I can't sort it into anything meaningful. I'm sure it represents the 7 Sisters though, and perhaps describes a paper chase- if we can associate the right stars to the right markings we get the right order.

I stripped out a similar test I conducted in HR1185 back in 1.3. This spreadsheet should help plot star characteristics against each other. My hope was that the resulting plots would somehow mimic the pattern of the UA markings. Obviously it bore no fruit back then. It might with the Seven Sisters plotted.

Anyway its there if it helps

Last edited:
This has been my mindset the whole time. When I saw the Cthulhu face on the notebook, I started digging and found that one of the gods, Gtuhanai, was BASICALLY a black hole somewhere in the Pleiades. Since Maia's got the player station, a black hole, and loads of planets able to be landed on, I thought it would be a good start. To top it off, the black hole seems to darken the closest planets..? I imagine there's some physics behind that, and barnacles typically prefer darkness. Some types of barnacles even retract when they're exposed to light.

Anyway, Gtuhanai was the "Destroyer God of the Aartna", and the Aartna were metal alien beings somewhere in the Pleiades Cluster. Something I've been paying attention to, given that all of this is related to metal alloys, is the metal content of planets. So far my search hasn't turned up anything too hot, and I meant to write this days ago, but the system map in Maia seems to tell a story, like Gtuhanai has sucked the life from all the second row of planets and is coming for the top.

I know somewhere else somebody made the comparison of these space barnacles to real barnacles, and while I don't have his exact quote, a friend and I initially speculated that this alien race might be reproducing like barnacles: spermcasting. UAs seem to burst into tiny flecks when they're destroyed, barnacles somehow related to UAs, UAs point towards Merope (maybe the system they were trying to escape to?), "barnacles" thrive on high metal planets and may die or be less likely to be found on rocky planets. It would make sense if this followed the same pattern as UAs, and the barnacles begin to expand as time goes on. The spermcasting concept would also explain why UAs are becoming more common if barnacles are successfully finding their way to metal planets.

I guess it's all speculation and assumes that these aren't thargoid related, but even if the above is incorrect the Cthulhu portion still seems mighty convincing to me. Sometimes I find myself chanting to the black hole.

Regardless, one thing that did seem odd to me was the metal content in Merope: all planets aside from 5B and 5C have metal contents of 8.9%. 5B has 9.4% while 5C has 14%. That's 12 out of 14 planets in the system, 85%, all equal in terms of content. If this is the system where all the UAs point, maybe they would seek the higher metal content planets? Maybe all the other rocky worlds have been drained to the minimum metal content to allow a colony of barnacles to survive? I don't know. The Cthulhu theory and the nature of the UA pull me separate ways, but I've found myself hopping all over Maia and Merope 5B/5C.

At least I wasn't alone in seeing the connection and I spotted that notebook too! I edited my own Cthulhu related post for accuracy. It was Haunter in the Dark, not watcher, though I find "watcher" to still be appropriate. The preference for darkness has been my guiding light, so to speak. Or should that be guiding gloom?

To me, the UA look like miniature Cthulhu (starspawn anyone?) and I have given up roaming the Nebula and am sticking to the planets around the black hole, for Lovecraftian reasons. I'm enjoying the creepy planets regardless, whether or not I find anything.

B1BA is just plain awesome! 14km high mountains, on a tiny ball of rock and giant sinkholes in them, perfect for hiding...stuff.

I hadn't made any lovecraftian connections personally but the idea that this could even loosely be a lovecraftian-based story has me so incredibly excited :D

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom