UAs, Barnacles & other mysteries Thread 7 - The Canonn

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Just as a reminder...

Merope 5 turns bright blue when you are at a certain position above Merope 5C.

Usually it's a dull boring purple.

In fact, the stripes disappear, and form into blobs making it look almost identical to the UA head.

I'm not talking a little bit blue here...it triples in brightness and is BRIGHT BLUE.

BLUE! LIKE A UA! I have never seen this in any other system before, and to me it is singularly THE most outstanding clue we have.

And yes, I will try and get a screenie. It has been independently verified by another commander.

I think this doesn't mean anything. There where changes about the brightness in the game. Are you flown in the last time to Obsidian Orbital? Right in the moment when you approach the light-reach of Maia A 2 the Nebula and background flashes really bright. Because of the Change of the light from the sort of star. The same happens when you approach on the surface of a planet.
Don't let us forget that Merope 5 isn't a planet, it's a dwarf-star. That means, here happen the same differences in brightness.
So i don't think that the colour-changing belongs to some mystery. [blah]

Just thought id point out... Merpe 5C has a VERY VERY odd orbit... if you check the details i dont remember what its called but youknow how planets orbit are usually avg around the same plane? so they all orbit in a flat circle basicly. 5C has a orbit inclination ( think thats what its called ) of 75 or -75 ( cant chech at collage) so... is 5C placed? as in... are you sure 5C is even a moon... or a planet? or even a celestial body?!

Er not what it means i am afraid.
Tidally locked means that the same bit of the surface always faces its parent.

Yes and this does not happen here. The same bit of the Surface faces Merope 5 only for 6.6 days ;)

That means, that we should see above the Barnacles 6.6 days Merope 5, and 6.6 days nothing above them in the "sky"

edit: maybe i can proof this. I head over today and check the sky, i have to remember doing the same in 2,3 and 6 days

Last edited:
The transitions between the lighting used at different texture levels is well known.

Remember the strobing planet during the initial search of Merope?

Pls let us don't forget, that 5c isn't complete tidally locked. It orbits Merope5 in 6,6 days. slowly but it moves....

Tidally locked errr...slarti beat me to it. But the terminator moves because most of the illumination comes from the main system star, to which it is not tidally locked.

Merope 5c is not tidally locked to Merope, it's tidally locked to Merope 5.

Just in the spirit of desperately hanging onto an idea isnt the orbit of 5c out of line with the other planets suppounding merope 5? If i remember rightly it orbits the top of 5 does this mean that whilst not tidally locked to merope the same point is always facing merope? Meaning i could still apply my theory? Sorry to ask but employment is currently interfering with important sciencing

Just in the spirit of desperately hanging onto an idea isnt the orbit of 5c out of line with the other planets suppounding merope 5? If i remember rightly it orbits the top of 5 does this mean that whilst not tidally locked to merope the same point is always facing merope? Meaning i could still apply my theory? Sorry to ask but employment is currently interfering with important sciencing

Fire the boss.

If the orbit of 5c around 5 is exactly 90° tilted compared to the orbit of 5 around Merope, yes(except for parallax).

2 questions:

1. Has it been confirmed that UP doesn't act as a compass when put on the surface? I.e. pointing in the same direction when released in 2 different spots

2. Does UP emit the same sound at all the time when deployed on the surface? My idea was that maybe the sound changes somehow (pitch, speed) when getting closer the "target", assuming that it exists.

Last edited:
We don't know what Merope 5's orbit around Merope is.
It's in a pair with Merope 6 and their shared orbit isn't displayed in SC.

Well, that should firmly end any speculation that a fixed point on 5c points to the star.:)

From what I have seen, the night/day zones on 5c move as well.

Well, that should firmly end any speculation that a fixed point on 5c points to the star.:)

From what I have seen, the night/day zones on 5c move as well.

Fairly easy to prove by observation anyway.
Establish the point where Merope is directly overhead.
Do the same at repeated intervals - if the point moves, theory disproven.

Tidal locking doesn't work anyway - see Miterrand Hollow videos for proof.

Last edited:
Fairly easy to prove by observation anyway.
Establish the point where Merope is directly overhead.
Do the same at repeated intervals - if the point moves, theory disproven.

Tidal locking doesn't work anyway - see Miterrand Hollow videos for proof.
Surly you don't mean a SCIENTIFIC TEST, wow who would have thought of such a thing :)

Sorry the sarcasm is strong with me today.

Last edited:
Thanks to NetSlayer's audio recording, here are the notes of the UP honk (or howl):

(G4) (A4) (E4) - (D4) (G4) (D4) - -- (E3)

It's a very clear song. very nice to play on Piano. For the exact keys, I'll wait a more expert musician, as I play only by ear ;)
Anyway, the third and sixth notes are longer than the other notes, then there is a longer pause (--) before the last low E3.
It is very similar to Close Encounters notes, but different in some way (there we have 5 notes, here they are 7).

It definitely sings, and much better than the UA, I could say... ;)

Last edited:
Has anyone noticed that when you just tap the Disco Scanner you get a different note each time? Try tapping it... it's beautiful. Do you think there's a message in there for us?

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom