UAs, Barnacles & other mysteries Thread 7 - The Canonn

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Yes. You guys are right. I see now that I have been too focused on proving my theory to be right on these forums. I do however focus just as much on proving myself wrong (or at least I try to) in my own mind. I also will do test after test after test until I either perfect my theory and figure out the mystery with indisputable proof or someone else proves theirs with indisputable proof. It isn't up to anyone else to prove or disprove what I believe to be true, it is my responsibility.

Edit: I just don't like seeing so much time and effort by such an intelligent group of people being, in my opinion, wasted. But that's just it, its my opinion and you all have yours. Like my old man used to say, opinions are like arseholes, everyone has one but no one wants to hear anyone else's :)

FWIW - and I dare say this might be a bit confusing given my last post(!) - the way you are approaching this in terms of imagination and ideas is exactly spot on.

Got an idea:

The UA is the outsite part of Big Scanner. They scan the Space 130 LJ around Merope. They transmit it to Merope.
The UP is a Transceiver: the put the Signals from Merope Main Star and transmit it to Merope 5C.
There is the Receiver.

To prove this theory, we have to find the UP in a low orbit around Merope.

Ive spent 4 or 5 hours driving around 5c and nothing of note except quite a bit of yttrium :D i checked out the crator at 21 -41 and there seemed to be alot more nav beacons, srv sites and yttrium than when searching the open planes.

Ive been trying to consider how fdev and the game works. Since planets are procedurally generated it stands to reason (potentially) that when finding a location on a planet to place something fdev have to do a similar search to the ones we do. Fdev are big fans of scientific accuracy (within the confines of game mechanics) so they would likely place something somewhere relativetly interesting.

They generally place barnys in canyons which makes sense as they would be better mining locations. The probes point to 5c in space and the artifacts point to merope.

The only thing i can conclude from this is that whatever we are looking for is recieving information from the probes which are relaying information from the artifacts 5c is tidally locked part is always pointing at merope. Im thinking elevated landmasses pointing at merope as a area to target perhaps central on the star facing side of the planet. If you had a whole plant set as a recieving station you would pick the area closest to the thing your are recieving from. The big flaw in my theory is that it assumes the probes are relaying from merope which nothing so far supports. That said probe suggests entering something for exploratory purposes so the probes may be in merope and just starting to come out where they are being farmed by the convoys. Some tin foil needed but at least i feel i can define myself a search area.

Merope 5c is not tidally locked to Merope, it's tidally locked to Merope 5.

You are awesome Commander! Your hardwork continues to help my research into barnacle reproduction. You set out just to document the state changes as I understand? In the process you are gathering the evidence i require to prove my theory. Thankyou once again :)

Glad it helps! Where to get certain materials from which barnacles was the original plan. State changes came once they started changing on us! :)

Just as a reminder...

Merope 5 turns bright blue when you are at a certain position above Merope 5C.

Usually it's a dull boring purple.

In fact, the stripes disappear, and form into blobs making it look almost identical to the UA head.

I'm not talking a little bit blue here...it triples in brightness and is BRIGHT BLUE.

BLUE! LIKE A UA! I have never seen this in any other system before, and to me it is singularly THE most outstanding clue we have.

And yes, I will try and get a screenie. It has been independently verified by another commander.

nope, the ships came from UNDERGROUND... watch the radar, they are BELOW the surface. Your's make it through, his explodes on impact trying to pass through the 'surface' layer.

My Anaconda did that a while ago. Except it erupted 10× more violently than that before exploding LOL

Just as a reminder...

In fact, the stripes disappear, and form into blobs making it look almost identical to the UA head.

I'm not talking a little bit blue here...it triples in brightness and is BRIGHT BLUE.

BLUE! LIKE A UA! I have never seen this in any other system before, and to me it is singularly THE most outstanding clue we have.

And yes, I will try and get a screenie. It has been independently verified by another commander.

Do you realise this can't be a fact if only you could see and can't seem to be able to reproduce?

Post a screenshot as soon as possible, please.

Bah humbug. Now I got to go in my ship with a rotten hangover. Grumble grumble.[blah]

I'm done with waiting in this game. I'm adding you to my list of people to kidnap, strap to a chair and feed chocolate vodka until they TALK (or in your case, produce a screenshot).

On the bright side Drew will also be here and I'll let you ask him questions.

Just as a reminder...

Sorry to be the one to play devils advocate, but are you positive it isn't just the light of the star reflecting off the planet in a unique way? I only ask because I have experienced some truly dazzling lighting effects in my travels, especially since horizons released.

Edit: Come to think of it, didn't they also improve certain lighting effects in a recent patch? I'm sure I read it in the latest patch notes.

Last edited:
Bah humbug. Now I got to go in my ship with a rotten hangover. Grumble grumble.[blah]

https://imgur.com/YIY1ntp

This image shows what I interpreted to be the transition from striped to plain. The colour change wasn't massive for me, but the purple went away. The spot where it happens is very small & it was difficult to stop the ship in exactly the right spot.

My feeling was it felt more like an artefact of the skybox, or a similar issue to the occasional missing textures in the system view, but who knows?

I do believe it is one of three 'static' points on the surface & that seems significant (the others being the poles).

Sorry to be the one to play devils advocate, but are you positive it isn't just the light of the star reflecting off the planet in a unique way? I only ask because I have experienced some truly dazzling lighting effects in my travels, especially since horizons released.

Edit: Come to think of it, didn't they also improve certain lighting effects in a recent patch? I'm sure I read it in the latest patch notes.

I have wondered the same thing. Could it be interplay between the starlight from Merope and the ambient light from the nebula affecting the shading. The shading model is pretty complicated in Elite, it might even be a bug :)

I guess an easy way would be to wait a while for everything to move to see if it's repeatable.

Certainly intriguing though. I'm out there, I probably need to see it for myself.

Edit: no I'm not, I forgot I succumbed to wanderlust last night and started heading towards the Eskimo nebula because: eskimos. Not exactly far away, but my course is set now!

Last edited:
I have wondered the same thing. Could it be interplay between the starlight from Merope and the ambient light from the nebula affecting the shading. The shading model is pretty complicated in Elite, it might even be a bug :)

I guess an easy way would be to wait a while for everything to move to see if it's repeatable.

Certainly intriguing though. I'm out there, I probably need to see it for myself.

Edit: no I'm not, I forgot I succumbed to wanderlust last night and started heading towards the Eskimo nebula because: eskimos. Not exactly far away, but my course is set now!

We were talking about this the other day on discord, and it seems it's something quite a few of us have run into.

It looks like the switch from lighting coming from the main star to the nebula is instantaneous.

Also, it's not just merope 5c that's blue. Everything is until you get out of the zone lit by Merope...

https://imgur.com/YIY1ntp

This image shows what I interpreted to be the transition from striped to plain. The colour change wasn't massive for me, but the purple went away. The spot where it happens is very small & it was difficult to stop the ship in exactly the right spot.

My feeling was it felt more like an artefact of the skybox, or a similar issue to the occasional missing textures in the system view, but who knows?

I do believe it is one of three 'static' points on the surface & that seems significant (the others being the poles).

Doesn't do it justice im afraid...It is MUCH MUCH brighter than that the effect im talking about. Almost star like.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom