Understanding Trade data in Galmap

OP. You are looking at a system which is 41.97LY away.

To see the trade data, you need to look at a system within 40LY of your current location and you need to have previously docked at any station in that system.

It clearly doesn't work as intended.
Recently I thought I'd do some fetch missions as an excuse to use my trade Cutter as I'm usually not much into trading.
I found some wing fetch missions with decent payment (like ~40 mil for 1600 units of landmines) and thought I'd give it a go.
Checked eddb at first which showed me a system with sufficient supply, updated maybe an hour ago.
So off I went only to realise there's 0 supply.
Checked a few others to no avail.
So I thought I'd try the in-game feature for the first time.

Contrary to your experience landmines didn't show up in the mission giving station's commodity market, so this didn't help either.
Next I tried the galmap.
Set the filter to commodities / weapons / landmines and a few green triangles appeared. NEAT!
Only that EVERY SINGLE triangle showed an export price of 0 when hovering over it and checking the commodities market on-site showed 0 supply. BUMMER!
Next I tried Inara which was more up to date and actually presented me with a market with a supply of landmines.
Strangely THIS system DIDN'T have a green triangle, which means that in-game I would've probably never found it.
And said system was WITHIN a range of 40 LY and I've also visited it before.
Just for demonstration's sake:
I just went to LHS 28. The commodity market shows a supply of 1.001 of explosives:

Then, just to make sure the triangle isn't just missing because I'm in the system already, I went to the neighbouring system LP 128-9 (3.54LY).
Filtered the galmap for explosives:

There are indeed a few faint green triangles but do you see one in LHS 28? Probably no, because there is none.

If I'm not completely missing something here, the system just doesn't work (at least not reliably) and when the one system which had landmines available when doing my missions eventually ran out of supply, the search started again and soon became a rather frustrating experience, almost resulting in my first rant-thread ever...

Same goes for services.
Here I filtered for Interstellar Factors. The map shows a few green dots, one of them being Uchaluroja:

Only when you go into the system's System map you can see that Uchaluroja is a high security system...

...and therefore has no Interstellar Factors:

The same goes for most of the other systems marked for having an IF.
I don't get it - the game knows which security level a system is in. It knows if there is an IF. Why is it so off the mark with its markers?

Again, correct me if I understand it all wrong, but if not, I'd rather they don't implement a feature than implement a broken one, because imo this hasn't worked properly from the beginning.

Did you check every station and planetary installation? Sometimes a high sec system can nonetheless have an anarchy station somewhere in it, or a low population, low security outpost which will have Interstellar Factors in it.

OP. You are looking at a system which is 41.97LY away.

To see the trade data, you need to look at a system within 40LY of your current location and you need to have previously docked at any station in that system.

Thanks for the reply, but as I said before, and later showed screenshots, the data is inaccurate even at 0 LY.

See post #14:
I am 0 LY - docked at station.
Galmap says they sell Battle Weapons
All other game tools say that in fact Battle Weapons are prohibited a thus not available at all.
Galmap keeps saying they sell Battle Weapons

Same, tried it once & got an orange canister on the galmap......that won't go away!

Orange canister is I *think* mission related. Do you have any "pick up the floating object from a signal source" type missions? It's either that, or it indicates which system you currently have toggled as the comparison system for commodity prices when you're in the market screen at a station. (I do wish Frontier would update the galmap KEY to indicate what the icon is supposed to mean.

edit:
I just checked the galmap again and today LHS 28 is actually marked with a triangle for stocking explosives which suggests that the system might just be lagging, albeit hours or maybe days...
However, Uchaluroja is still marked for having an IF in the services filter despite being a high security system...

This I think is the root of the problem. The system """"""works"""""", but the galmap generally lags so badly that the relevant information doesn't reliably populate when you need it. I've had the same problem with system states in the past - can't find a single outbreak system, or heck a single Imperial system in the entire galmap. There are categories of data that simply DO NOT LOAD sometimes. I think this is why the search for Mat traders, tech brokers, and IF is so frequently infuriating. As if the 40ly/"must have previously docked here" rules weren't obnoxious enough, the data just plain doesn't load half the time.

Network quality remains one of the biggest problems in Elite. Frequently it just plain doesn't work.

Did you check every station and planetary installation? Sometimes a high sec system can nonetheless have an anarchy station somewhere in it, or a low population, low security outpost which will have Interstellar Factors in it.

Yeah, according to the system map there's no IF in the system. But thanks for clarifying anyway – I thought a system has to be in low security itself for it to have an IF...

Last edited:
Orange canister is I *think* mission related. Do you have any "pick up the floating object from a signal source" type missions? It's either that, or it indicates which system you currently have toggled as the comparison system for commodity prices when you're in the market screen at a station. (I do wish Frontier would update the galmap KEY to indicate what the icon is supposed to mean.

It's not mission related.......I don't do missions anymore.
It first appeared when I tried it out straight after they put it in an update. So it's probably a comparison system from that. Not yet figured how to get shut of it......good job I only tried it once, my galmap would be bright orange if I actually used it for what it's for.

...good job I only tried it once, my galmap would be bright orange if I actually used it for what it's for.

No worries, if you compare to another system, the icon moves to that system. I just tried it. So there'll probably be only 1 orange canister forever in your galmap :D
I moved it to Alpha Centauri now. Instead of a canister it will henceforth symbolise the Hutton Mug :D

Last edited:
I challenge an fdev employee to take a fetch mission and record it. Live. Using only in game tools.

It can be a series. One hour episodes. The mcguffin will be the fetch items. Do they exist? Can you ever find them? What other thing will our commander find instead of what they are looking for? Tune in next week while we fly around the universe blind

Ok, third time I tried it with the in-game "tools" and also the last time, unless it gets fixed or someone explains how this is working as intended.

One last time for illustration's sake:

Took on a wing fetch mission for Performance Enhancers in Athra:
973d69.jpg
This time the Commodities Market even lists them and tells me they're imported from LHS 28
iwhnjd.jpg
...which is a barefaced lie, because
2mn0mzo.jpg
And no, the other markets in LHS 28 have no supply either. I double-checked this by actually visiting all of them.
A quick look at eddb shows a decent supply for the 20LY distant Chi Orionis and is right:
2ah9lza.jpg
However, sadly no triangle for Chi Orionis...

Ok, third time I tried it with the in-game "tools" and also the last time, unless it gets fixed or someone explains how this is working as intended.

One last time for illustration's sake:

Took on a wing fetch mission for Performance Enhancers in Athra:
Shh.... cover the reward please!!!
This time the Commodities Market even lists them and tells me they're imported from LHS 28
...which is a barefaced lie, because
And no, the other markets in LHS 28 have no supply either. I double-checked this by actually visiting all of them.
A quick look at eddb shows a decent supply for the 20LY distant Chi Orionis and is right:
However, sadly no triangle for Chi Orionis...

So, there is no triangle, but even Galmap shows they have stock and what the price is. Even the Galmap does not agree with itself.
- Did the triangle appeared once you landed at Carey Terminal in Chi Orionis?
- I didn't think so.

- Did the triangle appeared once you landed at Carey Terminal in Chi Orionis?
- I didn't think so.

Nope, the screenshot was taken after I fetched my 1st load of Performance Enhancers. So I definitely had docked there. And there's still no triangle despite the mission being long completed...

Back
Top Bottom