Unlock Cobra MK4 for folks who preorder Odyssey

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
This MK4 Thread s are always like....

unnamed.jpg

This Ship isn't worth all the tension here...
More like, "I don't want anyone else to have what I have; Then I wouldn't be special!", and exactly: It is not worth the tension. :7

Why is wanting a company to keep to their word such a bad thing?

No one but FDev had any input or influence over the wording of their marketing of Horizons. FDev decided to use the words "Exclusive" and "Forever" in combination, in order to encourage people to part with their money.

Why is it so outrageous for people to expect FDev to honor the deal that FDev them selves concocted?

I was going to write something about "petards" or "rods" but I can't be bothered.

Except that the word, forever, was included in the contract as the duration for the exclusivity.

Maybe we'll get lucky and a Cobra MKIV exclusivity contract holder will link a copy of it.

I'm hoping for real parchment with a wax seal, maybe even some of Braben's blood mixed in with the wax, but I can understand why someone wouldn't want to mess about with such a priceless legal document just to appease the peasants who want to threaten their exclusivity.

Anywho, I've thought deeply about this now and am pretty sure it would play out like this, if in fact Frontier opened sale of the MKIV to others, and broke the sacred exclusivity contract.

Commander: Your honor, Frontier has broken my Cobra MKIV contract, I would like to have my Horizon's Preorder refunded as well as be compensated for emotional damage and the cost of therapy to get me through this difficult time.

Judge: What's a Cobra MKIV?

Commander: It's a space ship in a video game I got exclusive access to by pre-ordering an expansion for the game back in 2015.

Judge: So they've taken this space ship away from you?

Commander: No, they are letting other people have it, but they promised at the time that it would be exclusive, forever.

The judge looks at the framed diplomas on the wall, then glances to the family pictures on the desk, thinking of all the work and sacrifice that went into bring them to this day, then a breeze from an open window softly blows across their sweaty brow. The judge slowly and deliberately walks to the window, then out of it.

A loud roar is heard throughout the courtroom, windows shake and dust drifts down from the light fixtures, the Commander runs to the open window and looks out. An actual Cobra MKIV rises, the judge safely on board, apparently dispatched by a collection limpet to the cargo bay that is currently closing. The MKIV pulls back from the building and tilts its nose down, the Commander can now clearly see David Braben in the cockpit, holding one middle finger out in attention, a sly grin on his face as the Judge uses an onboard computer to confirm a hefty contribution to their Arx balance.

Frontier is saved from legal peril and the people in the streets rejoice, knowing the world will be a better place with increased revenues from a Cobra MKIV, now available to all*.

The Commander mutters to himself, "that lying Braben told us atmo landings weren't possible," then calls his lawyer over, ready to file suit again.

*If purchased as a part of Pre-order for exclusive Alpha access for Elite Dangerous: Future Endeavors, no release date available, title subject to change, current price unknown, just give us a Credit Card number...

Last edited:
More like, "I don't want anyone else to have what I have; Then I wouldn't be special!", and exactly: It is not worth the tension. :7

As @Riverside points out, in general people are just suggesting that Mr Braben would probably not want to have the value of his explicit promise be completely rubbished.

I have the Quattro available (and used) on two accounts and would have no problem with it being made available to others (and hence my to other accounts too). No doubt we would then replace these threads with other whining "I want" threads - like "I need a Founder's Decal" or whatever...

People should just grow up and stop whining about something so unimportant as not having access to an imaginary space ship in an imaginary space travel game.

As @Riverside points out, in general people are just suggesting that Mr Braben would probably not want to have the value of his explicit promise be completely rubbished.

I have the Quattro available (and used) on two accounts and would have no problem with it being made available to others (and hence my to other accounts too). No doubt we would then replace these threads with other whining "I want" threads - like "I need a Founder's Decal" or whatever...

People should just grow up and stop whining about something so unimportant as not having access to an imaginary space ship in an imaginary space travel game.

If we are going to not let promises fall to rubbish status, then I may not be alack for complaints to bring up with Mr. Braben, starting with offline mode, and how its cancelling was announced late and only implicitly (...although here, too, I don't doubt you and I are going to have very differing ideas of what is and what isn't).

My personal diving into this thread is more of a matter of principle, with regard to exclusives as a whole (including console exclusives; Never got why any developer wouldn't want as many people as possible to enjoy the fruits of their hard labour, and showing their appreciation through their wallets... You know: I could fully respect it, if somebody didn't want to support a platform out of sheer being too lazy to do a port, even if it would have been highly profitable; But to "artificially" limit proliferation, out of a platform holder's purchasing a market advantage (effectively covering your unit sales losses): Blah)!

I couldn't care much less about any mediocre ship (...which I do happen to have), but there was this period where game companies would strike exclusivity deals with vendors, parcelling up not only pointless tat, but good, solid, lovingly built, and world-building chapters of their games, between them, so if you wanted the entire game, you had to buy several copies, from different shops. -Not the same magnitude by a long shot, granted, but what is the harm in reminding publishers now and again, that there is distaste for the practice, and not offering them so much as a fingernail clipping worth of encouragement.

On a more general note, regarding sticking to one's guns: I fully expect a sensible person, given good reason, to be able to change their mind, and correct course - away from any looming ice berg.
The amazing destructive proclivity of people to double down on being wrong, when presented with evidence, no matter how crushing, is utterly flabberghasting. -In the minds of some, it is apparently seen as: "strength", to never admit a mistake, even to oneself.

Last edited:
Originally posted by FRONTIER:

"The Cobra Mk IV will be available in the game only to players who joined us in the first year – forever. It’s our ‘thank you’ for your faith in the game.

The Cobra MkIV is available for in-game credits to anyone who has individually purchased both Elite Dangerous and Elite Dangerous: Horizons before the 5th of Feb 2016 on PC. This also includes Lifetime Expansion pass holders."

As it was a 'Thank You' for the faith Players had in the Game (up to 5th Feb 2016) WHY do you think YOU are entitled to that 'Thank You'? In order to RECEIVE Thanks you have to EARN Thanks.

Originally posted by FRONTIER:

"The Cobra Mk IV will be available in the game only to players who joined us in the first year – forever. It’s our ‘thank you’ for your faith in the game.

The Cobra MkIV is available for in-game credits to anyone who has individually purchased both Elite Dangerous and Elite Dangerous: Horizons before the 5th of Feb 2016 on PC. This also includes Lifetime Expansion pass holders."

As it was a 'Thank You' for the faith Players had in the Game (up to 5th Feb 2016) WHY do you think YOU are entitled to that 'Thank You'? In order to RECEIVE Thanks you have to EARN Thanks.
Thank you for pointing that out. As a sign of my appreciation, I'm going to allow you to buy something from me. Better hurry though, I won't let you buy it forever! I think I've got this gratitude thing down to a science.

Edit: Forgot to say, you PS4 users, keep an eye on my social media!

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure a slick lawyer could be found to argue that in games software teams, six years is forever.
Irrelevant, given that the transaction in question is Meatspace, not Virtual. It is not a contract between my account and the Federation or the Empire, it is a contract between myself and the corporation represented by the stock symbol FDEV.

Last edited:
I have found the link that shows where Frontier Developments CLEARLY state the Cobra Mk IV is only for those Players who joined them in the first year of the Game. It is in paragraph eight of the following link (the whole article is 'signed' by David Braben);

Announcing Elite Dangerous: Horizons | Elite Dangerous Community Site

Now PLEASE can people STOP demanding something they do not have rights to?

While I agree that forever is a mighty long time, the offer was extended to XBone players (but not PS4 players).

.......... the offer was extended to XBone players (but not PS4 players).

I just noticed that the PS4 version was launched in June 2017 so long time after Horizons was released (Dec 2015) XBOne version of base game was already released (Oct 2015) so I can see that they could be said to qualify for a "loyalty bonus" (even with the extended qualification) whereas PS4 obviously couldn't.

Last edited:
It has been mentioned already in this thread, but I'll repeat it. Just make a Cobra MKV with minor internal and hardpoint changes and call it a day. That gets around the exclusivity problem entirely. What's the big deal?

It has been mentioned already in this thread, but I'll repeat it. Just make a Cobra MKV with minor internal and hardpoint changes and call it a day. That gets around the exclusivity problem entirely. What's the big deal?

Completionists and the FOMO crowd wont accept anything less that the Cobra 4.

Something like this?

Thank you for pointing that out. As a sign of my appreciation, I'm going to allow you to buy something from me. Better hurry though, I won't let you buy it forever! I think I've got this gratitude thing down to a science.

Edit: Forgot to say, you PS4 users, keep an eye on my social media!

They didn't buy the MK4, it was a gift, they aren't required to give gifts to everyone! What sort of world do you lve in where you think you can force people to give you a gift?

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom