*UNOFFICIAL* Frontier Forums Developer Posts RSS feed

For anyone wondering why this post https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threa...or-deep-space-commanders.520916/#post-7980363 , and indeed any others by BrettC for months now haven't been in the tracker...

... some months back I spotted that BrettC's forum profile had been made private. Trying to access its Activity List (which is how I find each account's current posts and determine the new ones) gave a 500 - Forbidden response. I queried BrettC about this and was told that some changes were in the pipeline, it was to do with those. He also asked that I keep even this minimal information to myself. So, rather than get an email every 5 minutes with that error I chose to de-activate BrettC's account in the tracker config. In order to keep it quiet I also did not push that change to github until several months later when I had other unassociated changes to push.

And the profile is still giving that 500 - Forbidden, so I can't scrape it.

I had noticed he'd been fairly quiet in recent times. I should have listened to my spidey senses!

Did I mention yet that I hate the way the image attachments appear to change ID on the "Featured Commanders" posts? The one today about Alex Turner was scraped as the header image being:
Code:
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/attachments/alecturner-jpg.147803/
but that now doesn't work, and the in-forum post has:
Code:
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/attachments/alecturner-jpg.147812/
instead. So if your RSS reader isn't showing forum attachment images this is probably why.

I'm just now putting in a small fix to the BBCode handling so that [ S ] for strike-through will work. <--- DONE

Last edited:
I thought I was already ignoring profile-posts, but should definitely be now. Sorry about that one that slipped through.

I think @matthewflorianz could also be removed, even Chanté and Bo are debatable imho. They work at Frontier, but there's obviously not a lot of Elite in their posts.
Matthew doesn't seem to have made any posts at all.

If Chante or Bo post in the ED forums then it could be useful.

Remember, I've specifically excluded all the non-ED forums, so any posts of the people I monitor should be ED related to some degree. So, leaving people in that aren't posting, or don't often post to the ED forums isn't actually an issue. I'd rather keep them than miss a possibly important post in the future.

Matthew doesn't seem to have made any posts at all.

If Chante or Bo post in the ED forums then it could be useful.

Remember, I've specifically excluded all the non-ED forums, so any posts of the people I monitor should be ED related to some degree. So, leaving people in that aren't posting, or don't often post to the ED forums isn't actually an issue. I'd rather keep them than miss a possibly important post in the future.

I was talking about their twitter posts, but maybe that's not your scraper, oops.

A couple of weeks ago I finally got around to writing the necessary code to scrape 'developer' posts from the Frontier Forums and produce an RSS feed from that data. I then updated it for the upgrade to the current version of the forums. It all seems to be working OK (high forum load today aside), so I thought it might be time to publicise the existence of the feed.

You can find details about the feed on https://ed.miggy.org/devposts.html (now present in my forum signature). As that page says... if you have an RSS Extension or your browser otherwise handles RSS feeds then you should see an icon in your URL/Address bar. Else use the URL in that page to add the feed to your reader by hand.

Any feedback or concerns about this RSS feed can be addressed to me in this thread, through PM, or to the email address: edrss@miggy.org (which is included in the feed details).

Also, kudos to Bewilderbeest for his dev post tracker which prodded me to actually complete work on this project.

ChangeLog
2014-10-30 ~22:15 UTC
- Fixed an issue where I was only picking up replies from devs, and not the post for when they started a new thread. All posts since midnight today re-imported to be sure.

eh, who am I kidding, just read the changelog on the main site https://ed.miggy.org/devposts.html
Hi Athan, I'm a bit curious to get a scrape of every OP in the Suggestions forum to compile a spreadsheet categorizing and listing each unique suggestion in as brief terms as possible. Would it be quick work to update your dev scraper to perform this? Would you be interested in the task? I have no experience in perl and postgresql . . . and no inclination at the present to jump down that rabbit hole.

Hi Athan, I'm a bit curious to get a scrape of every OP in the Suggestions forum to compile a spreadsheet categorizing and listing each unique suggestion in as brief terms as possible. Would it be quick work to update your dev scraper to perform this? Would you be interested in the task? I have no experience in perl and postgresql . . . and no inclination at the present to jump down that rabbit hole.
Sorry, but no. I do the minimum maintenance necessary for the Dev feed and that's it.

As you've identified it seems, anyone else is free to take the source from github and change it for their own uses.

Top Bottom