Unparallel Star Clusters

As in the title, I suggest unparalleling certain star clusters...
... cause they don't look good when parallel...

20240430020003_1.jpg

I would also appreciate someone taking a look into the algorithm that generated the Brown Sandwich, cause I'm not entirely sure if this is accurate...

20240505033026_1.jpg

Nope, it's not entirely, nor is the neutron exclusion zone and many other things like the hard edged star boxels, however changing the galaxy in the way you want is impossible without basically wiping everything out and starting from scratch, destroying a decade of accumulated knowledge and information painstakingly gathered by thousands of pilots, that would not be a popular move in the ED gaming community!

We have what we have and must accept it's a strange galaxy that's not entirely unlike our own while at the same time probably being completely wrong in millions of tiny and enormous details!

Nope, it's not entirely, nor is the neutron exclusion zone and many other things like the hard edged star boxels, however changing the galaxy in the way you want is impossible without basically wiping everything out and starting from scratch, destroying a decade of accumulated knowledge and information painstakingly gathered by thousands of pilots, that would not be a popular move in the ED gaming community!

We have what we have and must accept it's a strange galaxy that's not entirely unlike our own while at the same time probably being completely wrong in millions of tiny and enormous details!
I'm not sure if moving the wafered stars from the Eagle Nebula by a lightyear or two in random directions to make it look slightly less ridiculous would be
"impossible without basically wiping everything out and starting from scratch, destroying a decade of accumulated knowledge and information painstakingly gathered by thousands of pilots"
... ain't that a bit of hyperbole?

As for the brownies from the other screenshot, fair enough. I can see how fixing the million-brown-dwarf pancake might be a little harder.

Those are the observed positions of real stars I think. You may want to complain to the astronomers that recorded them. :p

I think, if there is an issue is from the observed stars it appears star density is much higher irl than the game. Unless the observations are wrong, in which case see 👆.

I'm not sure if moving the wafered stars from the Eagle Nebula by a lightyear or two in random directions to make it look slightly less ridiculous would be

... ain't that a bit of hyperbole?

As for the brownies from the other screenshot, fair enough. I can see how fixing the million-brown-dwarf pancake might be a little harder.

No hyperbole, the Stellar forge would need to be rerun and moving stars around changes the mass distribution in the galaxy, since the galaxy is designed to match the mass distribution of the actual galaxy moving stellar masses around will result in other stars being moved to compensate the changed mass distribution in that boxel and neighboring boxels if stars end up there, which could potentially result in every single boxel in the galaxy having to be adjusted to compensate as mass gets redistributed. The devs, you know the ones who created the game and programmed the Stellar Forge, have stated several times that even they aren't sure what would happen if they start moving mass around like that. Changes made to systems have been done in a way that keeps the mass distribution the same, so they can move planets and add or remove them to a system and change planet type as long as they don't change the total mass of the system. There's a lot of history in discussion behind desired changes to the galaxy to make it look more realistic and the end statement from the devs is they don't want to risk it due to potential disaster.

As stated by Metatheurgist these locations are taken from astronomical observations, and while later analysis and more observation may prove them wrong, or indeed right, this is what we got. Note that the observed catalogue stars are put in place before the Stellar Forge is run and then the Stellar Forge distrubutes mass in the form of star systems around them to match observed data, so shifting them means shifting mass, and the Stellar Forge will compensate by shifting other stars around to keep the galaxy correct in mass distribution, so it's not a matter of moving one star, moving that one star will push other stars around and propagate the changes as far as necessary to keep galaxy mass distribution correct.

I think, if there is an issue is from the observed stars it appears star density is much higher irl than the game. Unless the observations are wrong
The issue is that observations of stars can get direction from Sol extremely precisely, but are very imprecise on distance (and get worse the more distant the star itself is).

When importing the real catalogue data, Frontier used the midpoints of the confidence intervals (rather than placing each star at a random distance within its confidence interval), which leads to bunching such as the Eagle Sector cluster all being the same distance from Sol, or the various 2-MASS lines being too short.

(With the original game concept being for travel to be much slower and travel outside explored space to be much more difficult, they may well have never expected anyone to get far enough out to notice)

I would also appreciate someone taking a look into the algorithm that generated the Brown Sandwich, cause I'm not entirely sure if this is accurate...
Points for coming up with a new name for it.

It's probably not as inaccurate as you might expect - there are genuine variations in distribution of star types, system mass and system age depending on distance from the galactic plane. It's not quite as extreme as shown in-game, but one major requirement of the galaxy generation algorithm is for it to run incredibly fast so it has to have a few simplifications.

No hyperbole, the Stellar forge would need to be rerun and moving stars around changes the mass distribution in the galaxy, since the galaxy is designed to match the mass distribution of the actual galaxy moving stellar masses around will result in other stars being moved to compensate the changed mass distribution in that boxel and neighboring boxels if stars end up there, which could potentially result in every single boxel in the galaxy having to be adjusted to compensate as mass gets redistributed. The devs, you know the ones who created the game and programmed the Stellar Forge, have stated several times that even they aren't sure what would happen if they start moving mass around like that. Changes made to systems have been done in a way that keeps the mass distribution the same, so they can move planets and add or remove them to a system and change planet type as long as they don't change the total mass of the system. There's a lot of history in discussion behind desired changes to the galaxy to make it look more realistic and the end statement from the devs is they don't want to risk it due to potential disaster.

As stated by Metatheurgist these locations are taken from astronomical observations, and while later analysis and more observation may prove them wrong, or indeed right, this is what we got. Note that the observed catalogue stars are put in place before the Stellar Forge is run and then the Stellar Forge distrubutes mass in the form of star systems around them to match observed data, so shifting them means shifting mass, and the Stellar Forge will compensate by shifting other stars around to keep the galaxy correct in mass distribution, so it's not a matter of moving one star, moving that one star will push other stars around and propagate the changes as far as necessary to keep galaxy mass distribution correct.
Ok so it seems this is way harder to fix than I had expected. Point taken :)

Ok so it seems this is way harder to fix than I had expected. Point taken :)

Oh it is, just remember FDEV is the first and only game company as far as I know to try and simulate an entire galaxy, they had to build the tools and work out how to do it from scratch, it was s huge undertaking, there are a couple of tech talks around about exactly how they did it. Here's the tech talk from 6 years ago, it's certainly amazing stuff and they are still working on a lot of the planetary stuff;

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vz3nhCykZNw

First perhaps, but not the only by now (NMS). I'll take a look at the video, thanks.

NMS dos not simulate ANY galaxy, they just proc-gen "thingies" - 255 of them (256 I think if you have a base in the one now missing/hidden - Odyalutai).

There is a game in development which has a 1:1 model of the Milky Way with real physics but the last time I mentioned that particular simulator of a starship experience the post got deleted so you will have to find its free demo on Steam yourself if you are interested.

First perhaps, but not the only by now (NMS). I'll take a look at the video, thanks.

No, they certainly haven't. What they have done is create billions of "procedural instances", they don't comprise a galaxy at all, the systems don't follow even basic physics let alone orbital mechanics and rotational behaviour, the planets are, well they aren't actually planets, some are as small as 10km in radius. They have created a very simplified space like environment that in no way simulates a galaxy or even a solar system. What they have done is concentrate a lot of their time in creating procedural life and survival mechanics like base building/ship building, and some would say they haven't done very well at the procedural life aspect. Which is not to say it's a bad game, but it's not even close to a simulated anything but it does appeal to large base that likes what they have done, and that's the important aspect of games, finding a target audience and catering to it.

Ok, I get it, NMS galaxy not scientifically accurate, ED galaxy much more boss. I have my doubts whether you aren't giving ED a bit too much credit and too little to NMS, but I will have to watch the video linked above first, for which I didn't have time yet. Until then I'll enjoy my Brown Pancakes and Eagle Star Waffles ✌️

Ok, I get it, NMS galaxy not scientifically accurate, ED galaxy much more boss. I have my doubts whether you aren't giving ED a bit too much credit and too little to NMS, but I will have to watch the video linked above first, for which I didn't have time yet. Until then I'll enjoy my Brown Pancakes and Eagle Star Waffles ✌️
It isn’t just about the accuracy there is also a huge scale discrepancy ED ~400 billion systems NMS ~128 thousand systems.

It's not that it's not scientifically accurate, it's that it isn't a sim at all, it's a fantasy world, like Black Desert Online or WoW but in space, there is no science in it at all. For instance these colliding planets;

https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGame/comments/izccd2 Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGame/comments/izccd2/ran_into_these_crazy_planets_colliding_into/

Well no they aren't colliding at all, they just exist like that forever, one stuck inside the other, they will never separate, it's a complete fantasy and while it attracts the title of space game it's more space fantasy. NMS has no credit at all, in ED the planets orbit stars, moons orbit planets, they rotate, there's a terminator you can follow around the planet, there are eclipses, meanwhile colliding planets in NMS just sit there stuck in each other forever. It's not that we give any credit or to much to ED, it's that you give any at all to NMS.

It isn’t just about the accuracy there is also a huge scale discrepancy ED ~400 billion systems NMS ~128 thousand systems.
Where have you got that information from?

Last time I read about NMS’s universe it was comprised of 256 galaxies, each containing roughly 4.2 billion regions with each region containing somewhere in the range of 205 to 605 star systems. All star systems feature 2-6 planets and moons, and usually a single space station, with an estimated 2 quadrillion planets accessible in the Vanilla game and another 7-8 times as many accessible as Phantom stars.

It's not that it's not scientifically accurate, it's that it isn't a sim at all, it's a fantasy world, like Black Desert Online or WoW but in space, there is no science in it at all. For instance these colliding planets;

https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGame/comments/izccd2 Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGame/comments/izccd2/ran_into_these_crazy_planets_colliding_into/

Well no they aren't colliding at all, they just exist like that forever, one stuck inside the other, they will never separate, it's a complete fantasy and while it attracts the title of space game it's more space fantasy. NMS has no credit at all, in ED the planets orbit stars, moons orbit planets, they rotate, there's a terminator you can follow around the planet, there are eclipses, meanwhile colliding planets in NMS just sit there stuck in each other forever. It's not that we give any credit or to much to ED, it's that you give any at all to NMS.
Yes, but also:

Last time I read about NMS’s universe it was comprised of 256 galaxies, each containing roughly 4.2 billion regions with each region containing somewhere in the range of 205 to 605 star systems. All star systems feature 2-6 planets and moons, and usually a single space station, with an estimated 2 quadrillion planets accessible in the Vanilla game and another 7-8 times as many accessible as Phantom stars.

The number of systems in NMS is determined by the size of a 64bit digit, which is 18 quintillion, whether they use the entirety of that address space for systems I am not sure, but originally they did claim to have a vast number of systems in the quadrillion range. I have seen claims of 3.8 quadrillion systems and 18 quintillion planets, but it's effectively infinite as far as exploration is concerned. The only issue is, they aren't really "arranged" in galaxy like formations. They have galaxies worth of systems, the wiki claims 256 galaxies and 2 quadrillion planets. However I don't believe you can look up in the sky and see galaxies and star systems the way we do in ED and plot your way across the galaxy, but I will leave to there as simply an opinion since I am only going by what I have read.

Yes, but also:

Yeah I have found a couple of colliding systems myself, however they do separate as they orbit, and to be honest there are probably a few colliding planets in the real galaxy at any one time so colliding planets and moons is not that unlikely in game. The problem with them in ED is they don't explode and break apart when they collide, that would be nice, but we know that's an issue with the way the game galaxy works, I'm not sure the Stellar Forge can handle that sort of event or whether it ever will be able to!

From a search that pulled up 256 galaxies containing 250-508 IIRC systems if it mentioned regions I didn't notice it or register their significance.

Not looked at playing it myself as I haven't finished this game yet.

Top Bottom