Unreal Engine 5

What you see in today's tech demos, takes 3-4 years at least to get into games

The first Unreal Engine 5 games will be out sooner than that. Development is also faster with UE5.

So they will definitely do that if you finance the endeavour.
I think about 50 millions will do. Are you in?

Yeah I think Frontier will keep using their own Cobra engine, but if they don't upgrade the engine they'll go out of business. Tech upgrades should hopefully appear in ED as well.

The first Unreal Engine 5 games will be out sooner than that. Development is also faster with UE5.

That doesnt mean they will employ what's in the tech demos...

Yeah I think Frontier will keep using their own Cobra engine, but if they don't upgrade the engine they'll go out of business.

I agree with the first part, but i pretty much disagree with the second.
Look at F1 - apparently i was switched from Cobra to UE... It didnt did well enough.

While ED is running, quite strong i may say, for almost 9 years already

That doesnt mean they will employ what's in the tech demos...
They do. UE5 games are getting released this year. These tech demos show what's new in UE5 like real time dynamic lights, their own brand of tesselation, etc. and all of these are used by the engine without having to add anything to game code - actually for that new lighting system it's easier than the old school pre-bake process !
And you can see all of this in use in game previews - for instance Senua's Saga: Hellblade II or Black Myth: Wukong. These even look better than the demos from Epic.

They do. UE5 games are getting released this year. These tech demos show what's new in UE5 like real time dynamic lights, their own brand of tesselation, etc. and all of these are used by the engine without having to add anything to game code - actually for that new lighting system it's easier than the old school pre-bake process !
And you can see all of this in use in game previews - for instance Senua's Saga: Hellblade II or Black Myth: Wukong. These even look better than the demos from Epic.
has there been anything in VR shown using UE5?

just wondering about hellblade 2 if that will support vr

Hmm, the original post was in 2021;

They do. UE5 games are getting released this year.

It's now 2023 and UE5 games are getting released this year? So it seems people were right when they were saying it would be a few years before games start coming out in UE5, and FDEV are still using the Cobra engine. It does indeed take a few years from proof of concept to actual major game releases on a new engine.

It's now 2023 and UE5 games are getting released this year? So it seems people were right when they were saying it would be a few years before games start coming out in UE5, and FDEV are still using the Cobra engine. It does indeed take a few years from proof of concept to actual major game releases on a new engine.
Some of the UE5 game looks to be very demanding like this one: https://store.steampowered.com/app/2009100/Immortals_of_Aveum/

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS​

• MINIMUM:
    • Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
    • Processor: Intel Core i7-9700 / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
    • Memory: 16(Dual-channel) GB RAM
    • Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super (VRAM 8 GB) / Radeon RX 5700XT (8GB)
    • DirectX: Version 12
    • Network: Broadband Internet connection
    • Storage: 110 GB available space
    • Target: 1080p/60 FPS
  • RECOMMENDED:
    • Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
    • Processor: Intel Core i7-12700 / AMD Ryzen 7 5700X
    • Memory: 16(Dual-channel) GB RAM
    • Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080Ti (VRAM 12 GB) / AMD Radeon RX 6800XT (VRAM 16 GB)
    • DirectX: Version 12
    • Network: Broadband Internet connection
    • Storage: 110 GB available space
    • Target: 1440p/60 FPS

Last edited:
Could any expert say at 0:32 - this moment on the field with grass affected by the wind - is this in game? Or is this a cinematic rendered by game engine to trick people?

Could any expert say at 0:32 - this moment on the field with grass affected by the wind - is this in game? Or is this a cinematic rendered by game engine to trick people?
Ghost of Tsushima managed all that on the PS4/PS5, although I've no idea what game engine or wizardry Sucker Punch used to lavish the game with the wind effects, vegetation and insane particle generation. All of the scenes used in this video are directly in game, some using the built in photo mode, they're not pre-rendered cutscenes. It's one of the most stunningly beautiful games I've ever played...on any gaming platform. Considering this ran in 2k resolution on the now dated PS4...the 4k upgraded version on the PS5 is jaw dropping. Can't wait to play this all over again if it ever gets ported over to PC, even though I've played through it several times both on PS4 and PS5...and still playing it 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Fortnite is still the only prominent UE5 title, and it's been using UE5 (in a public early access/beta form since December 2021. I think there have been a few small/indy titles churned out in 2022 that use UE5 just to say they use UE5, but there will almost certainly be several big name UE5 titles before the end of this year.

Ghost of Tsushima managed all that on the PS4/PS5, although I've no idea what game engine or wizardry Sucker Punch used to lavish the game with the wind effects, vegetation and insane particle generation
Ghost of Tsushima uses Decima Engine, which is also used in Death Stranding and Horizon Zero Dawn. It's the most direct competitor to UE5 (but not a commercial engine, it's purely internal). It lacks the "magic ray traced lights" though and the "infinite tesselation" of UE5. Still an amazing engine with excellent management of lighting and texture effects, with amazing performance given how realistic the results are.

Last edited:
What you see in today's tech demos, takes 3-4 years at least to get into games

And Elite will die on Cobra Engine since everything in ED is developed in house - which means there are no licensing costs attached to ED dev and running costs.

So they will definitely do that if you finance the endeavour.
I think about 50 millions will do. Are you in?
There always is a cost. That proprietary engine needs to be valuated at fair market price. There is dev cost, depreciation, opportunity costs. And Mole who hates us going on about accounting. looks over shoulder

Top Bottom