Update 10 - Odyssey and Horizons

It's hard to "stay positive"... I dunno how u guys do it....
Each and every update, they try to fix some things but they break others.... in most cases completely unrelated.... a constant pursuit of what should be already done since odyssey launch...
in my personal opinion we shouldn't clap our hands and give thanks vigorously for the fixing of things that were literally broken by the fixing of other things. it doesn't make sense.... of course I'm grateful that something which is broken is now fixed! but this is not how a company should operate.... ppl come here saying that this is like a beta and some of u guys "crucify" them. Well it is!!! It was expected to be a finished game when we bought it.... not a pile of bugs that remind something we all have imagined this to be... this is my honest opinion, i don't mean to be rude or disrespect anyone, etc....
It's really hard "to comply" with 'this company' behaviour. And it's very sad, cause i love Elite as much as you do...
A beta is a test product that may or may not be feature complete and is usually accompanied by list of things to test. This is not a beta, it is a full release version which was very badly flawed when released and is now much better if still flawed.

If it was an actual beta there would be fewer people playing it as it wouldn't be helping progress in the game and fewer people would be as badly upset with it as they are.

They took 6 weeks to fix the last game-breaking bug if that helps.
I do quite wish that people wouldn't use game-breaking for a bug that just stops them from doing what they want to do while the rest of the games activities work.
Game-breaking should be for bugs that prevent the game from working at all.

This should still apply even if the bug is one affecting something I want to do which is much more important.

Deleted member 182079

D
Not sure how you mean, there's an entire section on engineers in the rght hand panel that shows progress you have made with each engineer and who you have unlocked and what progress you have made to unlocking the rest, what sort of visual are you looking for exactly?
An actual counter that tracks progress towards the unlocking requirement. Something that most other games feature for ages, but somehow EDO does not, made worse by the fact that "do X of Y" is widely used in this game to unlock stuff and you're never really sure where you're at unless you keep an eye on your journals via Inara (which I did for this particular engineer unlock), the fact that in-game text is pretty vague and can be read in more than one way doesn't exactly help either so a counter would be crystal clear, and you'd be able to see whether there's a bug with the game not counting missions also.

I do quite wish that people wouldn't use game-breaking for a bug that just stops them from doing what they want to do while the rest of the games activities work.

This should still apply even if the bug is one affecting something I want to do which is much more important.
But I found a bug that causes my textures to not immediately load in perfectly and even though it's a momentary inconvenience that I barely notice, it is LITERALLY GAME BREAKING and FDev should be ASHAMED OF THEMSELVES for treating Elite Dangerous like a software product and not the entire purpose of my/their existence! LITERALLY GAME BREAKING.

/sarcasm. Totally agree with you, aRJay. My personal bugbear is the 32 button controller limit, but as much as I want them to fix that, there are far larger fish to fry and I've figured out enough of a work-around to be patient.

I'm not sure it can be applied that literally.

If there's a bug that stops people from mining, but I don't care about mining and never take part in that gameplay loop the bug isn't game breaking for me. For people who purely play the game for the mining loop, it's game breaking for them. Saying they could play the rest of the game fine is technically accurate, but is also looking to diminish how they interact with the product they've paid for.

You know, I'm something of a scientist myself...

With a background in software engineering, from the outside looking in, it does seem there is a challenge in the effort involved whilst maintaining both production versions, ie Horizons and Odyssey. When I looked at buying the game a few months back, I was a bit confused about which version to go with so I went with the latest.

As others have suggested, perhaps having a sandbox 'canary' version with a small set of star systems to test in for willing beta testers (incentivized by either in-game rewards or ARX). Then maintain only one production version going forward. Appreciate that there is a bit of a difficulty now as Horizons is the production one on Consoles. Perhaps make it clear that Horizons is the 'stable' version and Odyssey the beta.

My focus was on gathering materials with my little cargo scoop at the time of the update, something I simply cannot do now, so essentially I have to shelve this very immersive and enjoyable game until the issue is resolved. I can almost sense the steam rising off of the FDev keyboards in trying to resolve this issue, which was somehow missed during testing, as we speak.

Overall, I can only imagine the spaghetti code that any long standing software application can get itself into, so good look FDevs, I am rooting for you.

o7
Just log into Horizons while collecting stuff.

It's hard to "stay positive"... I dunno how u guys do it....
Each and every update, they try to fix some things but they break others.... in most cases completely unrelated.... a constant pursuit of what should be already done since odyssey launch...
in my personal opinion we shouldn't clap our hands and give thanks vigorously for the fixing of things that were literally broken by the fixing of other things. it doesn't make sense.... of course I'm grateful that something which is broken is now fixed! but this is not how a company should operate.... ppl come here saying that this is like a beta and some of u guys "crucify" them. Well it is!!! It was expected to be a finished game when we bought it.... not a pile of bugs that remind something we all have imagined this to be... this is my honest opinion, i don't mean to be rude or disrespect anyone, etc....
It's really hard "to comply" with 'this company' behaviour. And it's very sad, cause i love Elite as much as you do...

I just don't follow the hype to closely.

I enjoy playing and when I encounter something that doesn't work as it should I simply ignore it and move on.

I've learned to observe and note what isn't working without allowing it to ruin my day.

You can take control of your emotions or let them be dictated by external factors beyond your control

Your choice

Not sure how you mean, there's an entire section on engineers in the rght hand panel that shows progress you have made with each engineer and who you have unlocked and what progress you have made to unlocking the rest, what sort of visual are you looking for exactly?
for Terra Velasquez do I need to complete 6 covert theft and 6 covert heist missions. (This is actually 6 in total of either). I don't know how many the game has counted due to the current bug. Having this in-game counter would also help elevate any confusion, as I assumed you had to do 12 missions in total, not just 6 in total of either.

A beta is a test product that may or may not be feature complete and is usually accompanied by list of things to test. This is not a beta, it is a full release version which was very badly flawed when released and is now much better if still flawed.

If it was an actual beta there would be fewer people playing it as it wouldn't be helping progress in the game and fewer people would be as badly upset with it as they are.
You write very well, dear sir.... so well, i bet you understand what I meant when I called 'this' beta.... therefore I see no point on explaining what is obvious.
Thank you for your time reading my comment...

• Like (+1)
Reactions: F18
I googled a bit about switching between the two, and the first few results seemed to suggest I might lose key bindings, but perhaps I am being a little cautious.

You sound confident so perhaps I'll be brave enough to try this later. Thanks!

For what it's worth, I had to redo my Horizons key bindings after yesterday's update (and a few updates previously, I think).
My Odyssey bindings haven't been affected: they're all working fine whenever I log back into Odyssey having been in Horizons.
Even so, I'd suggest you follow the advice from Parduz and back up both sets.

Many people say it is 6 in total of either.
On one of my accounts I have certainly done in excess of 6 of both types, but not 6 of each. I have yet to unlock her on that account. On my most active account I had her unlocked quite rapidly - but I didn't take notice of which I'd done nor from where. (I was just playing)

Allegedly the missions must also be taken from a terminal, not from a mission giver on-foot (which is where most of mine were taken from!)

Also can we ever get the shoulder pieces blocking part of the camera when moving while crouching resolved. This has been in since Odyssey Alpha and shouldn't take 10+ updates to set them to not be visible while in first person view.

Attachments

• 01-26-2022 09-14-24 Dryoi Phio YU-V d3-0 @ Dryoi Phio YU-V d3-0 6.png
    01-26-2022 09-14-24 Dryoi Phio YU-V d3-0 @ Dryoi Phio YU-V d3-0 6.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 94
Many people say it is 6 in total of either.
Requirement states:
"Complete 6 Covert theft and Covert heist missions."
AND, not OR
I did 6 of both kinds and I unlocked her. You are trying to do only one kind of mission and you can't unlock her.
I believe it's safer to assume I'm right.

It would really help if there was some kind of counter on engineer page. Not only to dispel doubts, but also to help keeping track of your progress, as not everyone is trying to unlock her by doing all requirements in one sitting. The fact that there's no such thing just proves how half-arsed job engineering UI in Odyssey is. To keep track of anything you need 3rd party tools or keep extensive notes.

Requirement states:
"Complete 6 Covert theft and Covert heist missions."
AND, not OR
I did 6 of both kinds and I unlocked her. You are trying to do only one kind of mission and you can't unlock her.
I believe it's safer to assume I'm right.

It would really help if there was some kind of counter on engineer page. Not only to dispel doubts, but also to help keeping track of your progress, as not everyone is trying to unlock her by doing all requirements in one sitting. The fact that there's no such thing just proves how half-arsed job engineering UI in Odyssey is. To keep track of anything you need 3rd party tools or keep extensive notes.
Your distinction of and and or isn't clear. It could be read as:
Complete 6 (heist and theft) missions.
or
Complete 6 heist and 6 theft missions.

In this case it's the former, but thefts are bugged and often (always?) don't get counted.

If you just do 6 covert heists, the unlock will work.

Top Bottom