Update 10 - Odyssey and Horizons

Btw, this latest patch is quite well made, issue with SRV scooping is annoying (cargo hatch "stuck" is solvable with redock into ship), but there are much more positive improvements and nothing seriously wrong which crashes the game. Game performance in concourses is now very stable, they improved previous state even more. For settlements there may be still some "not perfectly smooth" issues in large settlements, and in case you try fly in ship close you can experience less fps as usuall, but I had in these places really tragic fps drops before (to single digits) and now they runs 40-60 practically all the time without any disturbing "freeze" moments.

Constantly and each and every time there's a new patch out it breaks something new and random.
... are you new here? It looks so, because Patch 10 is imo one from the best in ratio between fixed stuff/new issues. I agree that it will be ideal if there aren't any new problems, but after all these years spent with this game I think that it simply is not possible especially when is needed optimise game engine.

Last edited:

Deleted member 182079

D
... are you new here?
I'm not new here, but apparently not around long enough to completely drop empathy and understanding other people's frustration with aspects of the game that are broken for no apparent reason other than FDev's funky approach to updating their product, just because those issues don't affect me directly (though the SRV pickup one does, as should most players really unless you play base Elite only).
It looks so, because Patch 10 is imo one from the best in ratio between fixed stuff/new issues.
Is it? To me it seems the biggest hitters in the patch notes were bugs very recently introduced only (to me at least, the un-scannable dead NPCs at settlements, and the hostile ship NPC issue), lots of other problems are still in the game and in true FDev tradition they created a few new ones for good measure to make sure this mountain of bugs will only get bigger, not smaller.

I also noticed some pretty awful looking "optimisation" around the fog effects in settlements, it could be straight out of a game from 2002 but not one in 2022 running at Ultra settings and still not hitting 60fps.

You can probably tell I'm not particularly impressed by this "update".

People call bugs game breaking presumably because it breaks the game for them.

This I'm Alright Jack attitude of some is sad to see. Don't you want the game to be better than that? Constantly and each and every time there's a new patch out it breaks something new and random.

This really is not normal and just saying "just ignore it" on a feedback thread isn't useful. Just keep stumm at least if you don't care.

What the heck are you on about? And don't tell me to shut up, this is a discussion forum, not your private totalitarian dictatorship. A few days with SRV scooping is not game breaking, we are all alright because there's plenty of other stuff to do, if your entire game revolves around scooping stuff in an SRV maybe that's the problem? That doesn't mean I don't care about it, it does mean it isn't a game breaking bug, it's a short term inconvenience at worst, and complaining repeatedly that it is a game breaking bug won't get it fixed any faster, you think they don't know it's an issue?

What the heck are you on about? And don't tell me to shut up, this is a discussion forum, not your private totalitarian dictatorship. A few days with SRV scooping is not game breaking, we are all alright because there's plenty of other stuff to do, if your entire game revolves around scooping stuff in an SRV maybe that's the problem? That doesn't mean I don't care about it, it does mean it isn't a game breaking bug, it's a short term inconvenience at worst, and complaining repeatedly that it is a game breaking bug won't get it fixed any faster, you think they don't know it's an issue?
calm down, in my view both you and obiw have a good reputation in writing good and helpfull comments. and both of you have valid points, in my view patch10 is one of the better ones, but still not really good. i agree to your point, ed offers enough gaming variations to avoid introduced bugs, but i also share the frustration that frontier still has not implemented a QA or created some testing procedures before releasing a patch. hope that your assumption comes true and they use todays downtime to fix the SRV scooping stuff.

Deleted member 182079

D
First of all, why the need to get so defensive? I didn't even point you out directly, but I seem to have touched a nerve there - and where have I told you to shut up? Dictatorship? What?

The point is, today it's "just an SRV bug", yesterday it was "just an NPC scanning bug", the day before it was "just a firegroups bug", "just a missing interdiction UI bug", "just a....". I'm starting to wish the FSS would seriously bug out, just to be able to say "just don't scan for a few days no biggie". Not a very helpful comment though if you're a fulltime explorer, isn't it.

EDIT - just to add a couple points to your last sentence - 1) it's clear that endless whining and complaining (including pinging CMs, which I personally avoid unless they contact me first) is the only sure way to get FDev's attention 2) the 2 aforementioned bugs (dead NPCs, hostile ship markers) introduced around #9 or thereafter were left in the game over Christmas and more importantly the entirety of January. I honestly expected a hotfix in the interim but that didn't happen (we got quality radio silence instead), so unless FDev can be bothered there's no guarantee the SRV issue will be fixed until the next major patch. If people remain quiet about it and brush it off as 'no big issue' then sure, patch 11 it is then.

Last edited by a moderator:
"What happened to my fire groups? I can't assign them unless I have weapons and I'm exploring deep out in the black!"

"Calm down... just take a break from scanning planets and do some exobio."

"Ok... but now I can't scan plants because the latest update borked the genetic sampler."

"Relax... just take a break from exobio and uh... come back to the bubble and do some combat or whatever."

"Fine... but now I can't identify who is shooting at me because the latest update borked the radar!"

"Ok stay with me cmdr, forget about combat and go stock up on raw mats. Oh yeah, have you unlock guardian stuff yet? Now is the perfect time to do so!"

"Great idea! I flew all the way to HIP 36601 and now there seems to be something wrong with my SRV scoop. I can't scoop more than 1 item!"

"Alright cmdr, I've had just enough of your whining. There are so many things to do in this game, just go do something else!"

"ASKDMGFLIROJTNIGF."

Deleted member 182079

D
"What happened to my fire groups? I can't assign them unless I have weapons and I'm exploring deep out in the black!"

"Calm down... just take a break from scanning planets and do some exobio."

"Ok... but now I can't scan plants because the latest update borked the genetic sampler."

"Relax... just take a break from exobio and uh... come back to the bubble and do some combat or whatever."

"Fine... but now I can't identify who is shooting at me because the latest update borked the radar!"

"Ok stay with me cmdr, forget about combat and go stock up on raw mats. Oh yeah, have you unlock guardian stuff yet? Now is the perfect time to do so!"

"Great idea! I flew all the way to HIP 36601 and now there seems to be something wrong the my SRV scoop. I can't scoop more than 1 item!"

"Alright cmdr, I've had just enough of your whining. There are so many things to do in this game, just go do something else!"

"ASKDMGFLIROJTNIGF."
You forgot the crown jewel of responses - "just log into Horizons". Funnily enough that option only exists because EDO is still in such a state, and I'm not overly happy about having to have 2 clients installed on my bursting HDD of the (almost) same game because one of them might not work and the other is backup. I can't think of any other game I ever played with a similar situation.

Tbh, I do wish we could get an announcement on the SRV scooping bug - not because it is game breaking, but because about 10% of missions offered require SRV scooping, and it should therefore be considered a pretty decent chunk of a major game system.

Being told that 95% of the game is working isn't a lot of comfort of the thing you wanted to do today is the broken bit. Nobody likes having to reschedule their evening plans around a game bug - especially if they feel that the thing they wanted might not be available for several weeks. That's not really ok. Basic game features shouldn't stop working.

First impressions count. So with update 9, I died during my first interdiction because my fire groups were messed up. Update ten, I leave the concourse and suffer from frame rate tank getting to my ship (this no longer seems a problem, I did spend time deleting my graphics fill and windows shader cache, if this was the problem I don't know). So I think ok off exploring and material collecting, then no we have and srv cargo scoop problem. 30 minutes later checking that it is a reproduceable problem, post in this forum and in the issue tracker. So my first impression of update 10 it's all broken again. Have they made improvement probably, but my impression of update 10 is that i have spent a lot of time testing, tweaking and reporting issue before I can play the game. Are they game breaking issue maybe, maybe not, but did they break my enjoyment of the game yes.

Gold is a metallic material and
First impressions count. So with update 9, I died during my first interdiction because my fire groups were messed up. Update ten, I leave the concourse and suffer from frame rate tank getting to my ship (this no longer seems a problem, I did spend time deleting my graphics fill and windows shader cache, if this was the problem I don't know). So I think ok off exploring and material collecting, then no we have and srv cargo scoop problem. 30 minutes later checking that it is a reproduceable problem, post in this forum and in the issue tracker. So my first impression of update 10 it's all broken again. Have they made improvement probably, but my impression of update 10 is that i have spent a lot of time testing, tweaking and reporting issue before I can play the game. Are they game breaking issue maybe, maybe not, but did they break my enjoyment of the game yes.
another example us PC users beta testing for the consoles

Yes, low FPS and many other problems make players very nervous, but I would like to draw attention to a truly global problem that does not go to the top of discussions (probably because it is not related to shooting))) All the planets have now lost their individuality, broken lighting from the stars gives only one option for seeing the planet - bright white light, regardless of the class of the star, spectrum, distance to it. They are all the same and unnatural, especially on non-atmospheric planets. If you switch to EDH at such moments, this angle of the wrong lighting is simply shocking, because everything is fine in Horizons. It just kills the immersion in the game, especially for those who love exploration.

Like some people already noticed they left the combat in a broken state for a month so I doubt they will issue any "quick" fixes for something trivial like material gathering in an SRV. Also it works fine in Horizons so yet again, just play Horizons for the things that are broken in Odyssey
Or wait until Frontier actually sorts the game out.

Last edited:
my only concern is ...what happens to the guy if the ship rams him at speed? Does he insta die like he should? or does he just bounce around? Or is it like a skimmer and by the magic hand of fdev, cause massive damage to your ship for absolutely no in-game reason?
I don’t know myself, I found this video on YouTube, it looks cool, if we had interiors in ships, we could go out into outer space to repair modules, or perform any missions in outer space, and that would be great, I I love this game, but I don't have enough interiors in every ship to be able to walk on it without loading a black screen. I am not interested in a megaship, I love the imperial cutter, cobra mk 3-4 really I don’t have a cobra mk 4, I love anaconda, type 10, imperial clipper, corvette, python, that’s what I would like to take a walk.

Deleted member 182079

D
Even if moving forward was broken, it wouldn't count as more than a small inconvenience. You could still run around like an ice skater using the mouse with the 'A' and 'D' keys. ⛸️
Remember the bug when we couldn't use the Pulse Wave Analyser when core mining, unless you flew backwards?

Ah, doze wear de daze.

You can probably tell I'm not particularly impressed by this "update".
I think you was not impressed with anything related to Odyssey so far, so that view of yours is not a surprise ;)

Btw it looks like they are redoing lots of old stuff, imo this results in some of new bugs which in some cases looks similar but have a different reasons. Personally I think there could be much more understanding if there is ongoing at least some official discussion about these things, but that's purely Frontier decisions how to communicate (or not) ...

Last edited:

Deleted member 182079

D
I think you was not impressed with anything related to Odyssey so far, so that view of yours is not a surprise ;)
I'm enjoying it more lately, patch 9 was the turnaround (but it of course came with more bugs) but yeah, after 10 updates I'd hope we'd be in a much better place on various fronts (performance, visuals and gameplay wise). Sorry for the complete lack of rainbow-coloured unicorn smileys coming out of my Arx.

Top Bottom