Update 18.02 | Wednesday 10th April

So I've added a SCO drive to my T9 now. The intended use is tapping into high supplies close to the CG system far from the star in a CG. My Cutter will stay in the role of sourcing CG goods from further away but close to the star. The 64t tank of the T9 appears to be sufficient for the intended purpose.

Raises hand. ;)

Agreed.

And there's the rub: are you the type of explorer who values traveling faster interstellar travel, or faster interplanetary travel. For me, I value the latter far more than the former. There are billions of systems out there that are just beyond 500 light years past the borders of the Bubble that haven't been explored, and aren't along the popular sightseeing routes. Plenty of pristine planets and systems out there, just waiting to be visited by a Commander, and yet close enough to the Bubble for those who might want to race back and engage with events there.

I've frequently wished that planetary exploration was much more fleshed out than it currently is, which in turn is more fleshed out than it was in the past. It's just that currently there's plenty of other things that are competing for my time and attention. Especially I'm still waiting for the "obviously missing" on foot Thargoid and Guardian content to be added to the game... and I suspect that that'll be the case for a long time.

My normal explorer is my 50ly Type 6, my Phantom only comes out when I am at the edges where 50ly doesn't cut it. I do both far distant and near bubble exploration, taking turns in doing them, just a few thousand ly outside the bubble at the moment and heading inwards, so will be there soon to get one of these drives to test out on my type 6.

Alright, initial testing says I can cross ~150kls in my T9 within 6 minutes using bursts that don't overheat the ship. Anything further away, and I'll run out of fuel.

That's really interesting and adds more options for CGs, short cruises has always been my trick for big numbers. A short cruise is always worth a couple a couple extra jumps, so I'd been excluding the longer ones from my searches. Well scienced cmdr o7

I don't understand why adding a module makes the overall capabilities of the ship worse. wasn't the module supposed to improve the sc, why does it have to make other things worse by adding it?

For those who are happy with the current module and the SC times, they just have to stop installing this one.

Perhaps a little more communication from frontier would be welcome, especially if tells us what can be done with this module. And what could be its future improvements.

The new ships are presumably coming off the back of the titan research too, so it seems a distinct possibility. A simple higher base jump range would be enough to mitigate the principle drawback.

Seems like fuel goes down quicker the longer you use it, for short bursts of acceleration it's not too bad
I think that fuel consumption is directly proportional to the ship's current speed (when in overdrive mode)? Would explain why fuel consumption is relatively low at the beginning of the boost.

I've found the new drive to be useful for HGE too. The HGE is 5,000ls out, with 3 minutes left? Not a problem when this new drive will get you there in 10 seconds instead of 5 minutes.

Yeah same had a blast farming high grade in the Viper IV last night, you can fit a class 4 FSD booster and get a perfectly respectable jump range out of it. Had to make a couple of fuel stops like 😅

I don't understand why adding a module makes the overall capabilities of the ship worse. wasn't the module supposed to improve the sc, why does it have to make other things worse by adding it?

That’s not the case. New ingame technology shouldn't be an overall improvement, it should be a trade off. Which is what we have here: a sacrifice if interstellar travel, for an improvement In interplanetary travel. This is a good thing in my book. Frontier has filled in most of the depth in this game to appease the never satisfied demands of the instant gratification crowd. It’s refreshing to see a module where you need to weigh the pros and cons of equipping it, as opposed to the current “no brainer” status quo.

For those who are happy with the current module and the SC times, they just have to stop installing this one.

I’ve never been happy with the current version of Supercruise. I felt the original version was much better. Frontier basically slowed down good Supercruise technique, to speed up absolutely awful technique. :(

Perhaps a little more communication from frontier would be welcome, especially if tells us what can be done with this module. And what could be its future improvements.

There’s tons of ideas about potential uses for SCO in this thread alone. It should be up to the playerbase to push the possibilities of this new drive to their limits, not Frontier to spoon feed you their “official” opinion. As for possible improvements? That’s what an ingame narrative is for.

Objectively, the typical Supercruise journey is < 500ls, which is a journey of less than two minutes. During which, you’ve got potential threats to evade, USSs to analyze, and gravity braking maneuvers to plot. What you describe is so atypical, I’ve got to wonder if you’re cruising in normal space.
That is only true because you are deliberately avoiding the timesink of destinations locked behind the larger timesink of longer distances - which rather proves my point.

And no, there is not nearly as much going on during that process as you make it out to be, unless you are deliberately going out of your way to make those those individual things occur.

Suffice it to say the feeling is mutual.

Like, that's just your opinion, man. I know it might sound incredulous, but I'm a fan of space and I enjoy supercruise, it can be very relaxing and I think the time/velocity in general is balanced pretty well. So I am glad that it hasn't been effectively nerfed by this module, which I think would be a bad thing.

However, I also get that when running shipments from carriers to stations or just trying to get from A to B real quick having something that would alleviate that would be a good thing too. This seems to be exactly the thing this module was made to do; provide an option to reduce repetitive loops plus other potential usees in relation to blockade running/ganker evasion.

Basically, just because it wasn't what you wanted doesn't make it useless, maybe after the initial disappointment of what it isn't has worn off, maybe you'll find use for what it actually is. And I'm saying that as someone who would agree, to a degree, with you (possibly) that it would be good for there to be something that can do a similar thing to alleviate the long travel times between in-system distant binary partners. o7
Short-haul trips aren't an issue and are a matter of mere minutes as it is. Leaving planetary gravity well does not take that long if you simply stay pointed 90 degrees til free of it (times
varying widely depending on planetary mass in question, of course). Every video I've seen going "ooh, wow, this speeds up short trips so much!" is saving maybe 5-15 seconds, max, because the acceleration/deceleration caps remain unaffected (and that's if they don't overshoot).

In short, if you are correct about the limited intent of the module, it's addressing a need that doesn't exist and doesn't need solving. I find that to be underwhelming and disappointing.

You're missing the point is basically the upshot of what's going on here. Helldivers 2 has nothing to do with it, they've had issues themselves with a bugged weapon causing instant CTD. And I'm sure there will be weapons and stuff implemented into the game that will also need more than just a superficial look at it to appreciate it's intended use.
The point I'm making with Helldivers 2 is that Arrowhead's content additions to the game have been frequent, regular, clever, and well-designed - balance and performance issues aside altogether.

I cannot make the same remarks about Elite. I would like that very much to change. I don't see that happening unless the faults in design - such as the "intended use" of this module existing in vacuum - are highlighted.

How often do you spend "HOURS" travelling in Supercruise? Utter nonsense. You have an opinion and while I'm sure there are those who agree with you it is still I believe thankfully a minority opinion. When I first heard about this new drive I was concerned that we were entering into the realms of Fast Travel but thankfully it looks like it is a balanced increased speed option at a cost, time will tell if the costs are too high and they may well be tweaked.
Any time spent travelling to a destination that is 10kls +, quite common when exploring or for any number of stations in the bubble that are largely ignored & neglected by players entirely owing solely to the time investment it takes to get there.

Decrying others' opinions as being a minority without any basis is on the same level as "just go play something else." You can also kindly keep that sort of 'observation' to yourself.

Let's remember - the masses of players that no longer touch the game or frequent these forums are no longer sharing their voice about these problems - in no small part thanks to how long these issues have persisted.

And for the record, at no point have I asked for or advocated an in-system "fast travel" (even though that is exactly what we already do have thanks to Fleet Carriers, albeit it's not the most conveniently available-on-demand thing).

I don't really understand what people were expecting- SC is still going to be SC, and now you have a SC panic button that does its job but with drawbacks.
Oh, to be clear, this is entirely within my expectations. My frustrations are to do with my hopes to have something better.

I'm sure you're praying that the upcoming Powerplay update doesn't turn out to be just still PP but with more drawbacks and more obscure mechanics - and I'm sure you'd be raising plenty noise yourself if that does come to pass.

Personally, I'd never have implemented any of those things and would remove them all from the game if were within my power to do so. I've always been a proponent of the kinds of gameplay that can only exist when there are firm logistical constraints.

I'm pleasantly surprised this new FSD has as many trade-offs as it does, but still don't think it's necessary or even a net benefit to the game, and I suspect it's negative (by my reckoning) impacts will become more serious in the future.

Supercruise is often a slog, even for me. However, that doesn't mean I want the limitations it imposes to be removed because those limitations enforce conditions required for certain gameplay I wouldn't trade for instant gratification when it comes to other kinds of gameplay.

I'd be surprised if my CMDR's total time in SC was much less than a thousand hours at this point. And some of that time has been quite tedious. However, without supercruise and the potential interactions it currently provides, the game as a whole would be far more dull. Much of my favorite gameplay has already vanished as travel has become easier and more convenient.
I would agree, entirely. I would gladly trade away all FSD-range buffs we've seen accumulate over the years if it meant doing away with the "slog" in supercruise. Naturally, that won't happen without a time machine and lots of stockholding purchasing power on my part, but rest assured I am of the same sentiments here.

I'd be very curious to know exactly what proportion of players' listed playtime in this game is inflated solely by empty periods in supercruise; I feel like 60% would be a safe bet, if not 80%.

I think there should be addressing of interactivity issues (players and otherwise), of which there are many outstanding causes, but I think that all would stray off-topic.

You know, I once analyzed my time spent in Supercruise doing nothing, and it amounted to less than a percent of my total time. I wasted more time dealing with the system map than that. Of course, the key words here are “doing nothing.” There’s plenty of productive things to do in Supercruise, if you’d just stop paying attention to Netflix, and actually pay attention to the game.

Granted, this is in the Bubble, rather than deep space, but I always used longer Supercruise distances in the Galaxy map, looking along my intended route for anything interesting.
My view is that you are a unique specimen.

Netflix (or any other viewing experiences online) are a great deal why this game's popularity has been able to endure, in that it is a game you can play while multitasking. I'm not saying that is a bad thing, but the things you describe as "productive", I view very differently.

The lustre of spending supercruise time in galaxy/system view or galnet wore off for me very early on in my Elite career.

Probably explains all those complaints about how much time some people spent in Supercruise. Why would anyone make an occasional ten second detour to drop into that HGE you're passing, when you can spend hours doing nothing but running between HGEs, then doing half an hour of the old relogski when you arrive, instead???
Because they flatly do not appear except under specific circumstances - and those circumstances in turn only occur under specific conditions - and the specific HGEs you need to get around to doing the things you'd actually like to be doing are very likely not to be the ones you randomly encounter whilst doing other activities.

I have to echo again that sentiment, that reading your depictions of gameplay makes me wonder if you are playing something else entirely. That, or you simply spend an absurd amount of time playing & obsessively visiting each and every signal source the game ever shows to you, which... more power to you if true but that's not normal.

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
Moderation Message said:
Reminder to all participants: please discuss the topic. Other participants are not the topic. Failure to comply will result in advisories, warnings and / or reply bans.

Top Bottom