Patch Notes Update Update 2.3.11

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Having used a hotas, gamepad, and mouse/keyboard setup to do combat in elite I found that for me the biggest limiting factor when using a gamepad is that button real estate becomes a juggling act on the gamepad. For a lot of combat this doesn't necessarily become a huge detriment though, as many of the most common functions can be bound to your gamepad with the rest being accessible via in game menus and I've never found a joystick to be much more accuracy than a gamepads joystick when using gimballed/turreted weapons.
I don't really see any balance issues for players using a gamepad vs. hotas. vs. Mouse/Keyboard for any other aspect of the the game. The more cerebral parts of the game are slow enough that just about any setup is going to suffice.

And yet, Rocket League and Minecraft will allow for PC/XBone/Switch cross play. While Sony notably refuses to play along.

Allowing cross play between XBone and PC/MAC would benefit Elite players by uniting the player pool. And hopefully with the PS4 players, too, once Sony gets over their act.

So is balancing between Horizons and Vanilla game players. And gamepads have little hope to compete with the accuracy of a HOTAS, not to mention M+K. Yet, all play together on PC. HOTAS btw. are available for XBone and PS4. It's only in direct PvP competition where somebody with a gamepad may (not must) be at a disadvantage.

Threadbare balancing concerns shouldn't be what stops cross play. We're talking about a game where even fixed weapons have a slight form of auto aim by means of adjusting convergence in a limited manner and where the comfortable and arguably in some scenarios most effective weapons are gimbaled and use limited auto aiming.

This is not Quake or UT, where M+K players would hopelessly dominate everybody else.

HOTAS is not currently supported on the XB1.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom