Patch Notes Update Update 3.2.1

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
I can't believe I'm going to do this but I am going to launch into a diatribe against FDev.
What are you thinking when you create SLFs that we need to enter into a major grindfest to unlock only to find that the free AX SLFs are in fact much better?
After we have earned the damned things the hard way shouldn't they work out better then the free to purchase SLFs available everywhere?

What is all the fuss about balance for crying out loud?
I don't want balance. I want to be able to spend extra time, effort or credits to be able to outshoot, outwit, outmanouvre, outlast or just plain outrun my opponents. Otherwise what's the point of all that grind if all I get is a bit more "Oooh shiny"?

Now get your acts together and fix those stupid GSLFs.

o7

Well SAID, FDEV make you grind because they like to see us GRIND.

Well SAID, FDEV make you grind because they like to see us GRIND.

Of course they do! Every morning they go into the office, load up the secret player viewer, and have loads of lulz watching players grind away.

Or... no, its not because they like to see us grind but want time gates to progression, but unfortunately the features as implemented can be quite grindy.

My recommendation though is to make suggestions on how to keep the time gates, while removing the grind, without requiring massive dev costs. I'm sure FD would love to hear your suggestions.

PS: Nothing in this patch note has anything to do with grind, its just a few bug fixes.

Of course they do! Every morning they go into the office, load up the secret player viewer, and have loads of lulz watching players grind away.

Or... no, its not because they like to see us grind but want time gates to progression, but unfortunately the features as implemented can be quite grindy.

My recommendation though is to make suggestions on how to keep the time gates, while removing the grind, without requiring massive dev costs. I'm sure FD would love to hear your suggestions.

PS: Nothing in this patch note has anything to do with grind, its just a few bug fixes.

Progression is positive change over time. Remove time, and progression disappears. I'm a bit baffled how we can have progression without the efforts taking time. In fact, I don't actually recall playing any game with a built-in progression that didn't involve time. Especially RPGs of any kind use this type of mechanic. but I might be blind and too hope to see useful suggestions from others. Not that I feel the need to have that changed. Game is fine in its imperfect way. Only thing I have wished for along the way is a bit more window dressings to hide the game-mechanics.

:D S

you know how in LOTR, it's like 20 hours of movie with people mostly walking from one place to another? You remember how everyone who watched it got up and left because the movie was super boring? No? You remember the movies being good? Why? OHHhhhh... they made walking thru the woods exciting and adventurous. Who'd of thought that making the activity that you are doing most of the time part of the story and engaging / interactive would result in a better experience for people watching it (much less the people participating in it).

That's why the "grind" is such a thing for Elite. Frontier hasn't learned how or isn't capable of making the activity that players do the most of (traveling from one system to another or one planet to another or one location to another) fun. It's just a loading screen or a time suck. A means to get to your new location. STUPID.

If the game is all about the destination, and the journey is just being used as a barrier to progression, then it's been developed wrong. All the effort going into simulating and recreating 1:1 space just to waste it all and eventually circumvent it with ever increasing mechanics that skip it all. Again, stupid.

stop wasting the journey fdev. (Hint, the journey shouldn't consist of watching loading screens or having to repeat the same exact actions like a factory line robot)

you know how in LOTR, it's like 20 hours of movie with people mostly walking from one place to another? You remember how everyone who watched it got up and left because the movie was super boring? No? You remember the movies being good? Why? OHHhhhh... they made walking thru the woods exciting and adventurous. Who'd of thought that making the activity that you are doing most of the time part of the story and engaging / interactive would result in a better experience for people watching it (much less the people participating in it).

That's why the "grind" is such a thing for Elite. Frontier hasn't learned how or isn't capable of making the activity that players do the most of (traveling from one system to another or one planet to another or one location to another) fun. It's just a loading screen or a time suck. A means to get to your new location. STUPID.

If the game is all about the destination, and the journey is just being used as a barrier to progression, then it's been developed wrong. All the effort going into simulating and recreating 1:1 space just to waste it all and eventually circumvent it with ever increasing mechanics that skip it all. Again, stupid.

stop wasting the journey fdev. (Hint, the journey shouldn't consist of watching loading screens or having to repeat the same exact actions like a factory line robot)

The thing I remember about the Lord of the Rings movies was feeling disappointed by all the extra action scenes Peter Jackson had written in ( Iunderstood why but I was still a little disappointed).

Now personally I have no problem with the game mechanics making me do the same actions when I am doing the same thing, such as jumping between stars or cruising between planets. As far as grind goes I just avoid as much as possible activities that strike me as being that way, the thing is grind is a personal thing and just because I find an activity, ironing for example boring and a grind, the physically very similar activity of smoothing wood with a plane is much less so.

Different people enjoy different aspects of the game, some even like missions enough to spend all their time doing them, different strokes and all that.

As far as making the journey is concerned I am hoping you aren't talking about making us fly the ships between stars all the time, but instead the idea that journey is the term for developing your skill set and character?

The thing I remember about the Lord of the Rings movies was feeling disappointed by all the extra action scenes Peter Jackson had written in ( Iunderstood why but I was still a little disappointed).

Now personally I have no problem with the game mechanics making me do the same actions when I am doing the same thing, such as jumping between stars or cruising between planets. As far as grind goes I just avoid as much as possible activities that strike me as being that way, the thing is grind is a personal thing and just because I find an activity, ironing for example boring and a grind, the physically very similar activity of smoothing wood with a plane is much less so.

Different people enjoy different aspects of the game, some even like missions enough to spend all their time doing them, different strokes and all that.

As far as making the journey is concerned I am hoping you aren't talking about making us fly the ships between stars all the time, but instead the idea that journey is the term for developing your skill set and character?

Are you high?

You already are made to fly between stars all the time. That's how you get from one place to another in space. You travel from solar system to solar system. And a game mechanic that has you doing that for the vast majority of all of the gameplay available and doesn't do anything with that entire aspect of your interaction with the game (allowing it to be the same repetitive actions every single time) is the definition of grind and the definition of boring. It's a missed opportunity that has been biting the game in the butt since it was released and it's a cancer to all the game mechanics and features that build on top of it. Why else do people insist on adding features that circumvent it more and more? What was the point of simulating the size of the galaxy when you've given players no reason at all to want to experience it and every reason to want to skip it?

This isn't a subjective argument. There is no opinion here. We're not talking about rainman-esque people that find enjoyment in the most mundane stupid things that 99% of everyone else finds boring. If you dont see that having traveling around in the game being as boring and repetitive as they have been as being massively negative to the overall game and poisoning every mechanic that builds on it (most) then you aren't playing the game. Or you're being purposely contrary just for the forum.

Hi all,

We will be taking the galaxy servers down Thursday the 6th September from 8AM (BST). They will be down for approximately 10-40 minutes.

----------------------------

Fixes and Improvements

Ships

Alliance Challenger, Chieftain & Crusader
  • Fixed various visual issues with hardpoints.
Lance Guardian Fighter
  • Addressed an overheating issue when firing
Weapons & Modules
  • Fixed large missile racks being unable to resupply ammunition using synthesis

You see the hidden message in there

Space Legs

You saw it here first ... confirmed.... Buy some good footware for when boots hit the ground.

I have seen players get excited over this subject with much less.

Caliber

Are you high?

You already are made to fly between stars all the time. That's how you get from one place to another in space. You travel from solar system to solar system. And a game mechanic that has you doing that for the vast majority of all of the gameplay available and doesn't do anything with that entire aspect of your interaction with the game (allowing it to be the same repetitive actions every single time) is the definition of grind and the definition of boring. It's a missed opportunity that has been biting the game in the butt since it was released and it's a cancer to all the game mechanics and features that build on top of it. Why else do people insist on adding features that circumvent it more and more? What was the point of simulating the size of the galaxy when you've given players no reason at all to want to experience it and every reason to want to skip it?

This isn't a subjective argument. There is no opinion here. We're not talking about rainman-esque people that find enjoyment in the most mundane stupid things that 99% of everyone else finds boring. If you dont see that having traveling around in the game being as boring and repetitive as they have been as being massively negative to the overall game and poisoning every mechanic that builds on it (most) then you aren't playing the game. Or you're being purposely contrary just for the forum.

Not especially high.

I fail to see how we can have a mechanic that makes each voyage between stars different and engaging every single time.

I play this game to travel around in and between different systems and enjoy doing that, sometimes aspects of the game lose interest for me and then I do something else or take a break.

Just because an activity is repetitive doesn't make it a grind, it becomes a grind when you start to dislike what you are doing and that is a subjective point.

As to your last point not consciously, I try to keep my behaviour on the forum as good or better than in the rest of my life.

I have just spent the weekend unlocking two more Engineers. This did not seem the Grind it was a few months ago. But I found it quite engaging. Have Fdev changed some of the engineering, or is it that I am just more experienced?

Are you sure?

Not being able to doesn't mean it can't be made.

Yes I am sure that you can't fix a system if you don't know what is causing it to produce the wrong result.

You can try a new system that does not reuse anything from the old one and see how that works.

But knowing something is going wrong doesn't tell you what causes that failure which makes any kind of planned fix impossible of course blind chance might work but the more complicated and bigger the system the worse the odds on getting lucky are and of course a lucky fix won't help if the problem re-emerges at a later change in the code.

I have just spent the weekend unlocking two more Engineers. This did not seem the Grind it was a few months ago. But I found it quite engaging. Have Fdev changed some of the engineering, or is it that I am just more experienced?

There have been no changes to engineers for a while but they have changed significantly from when they first appeared, I am sorry to break the news to you but you have probably got better.

Yes I am sure that you can't fix a system if you don't know what is causing it to produce the wrong result.

You can try a new system that does not reuse anything from the old one and see how that works.

But knowing something is going wrong doesn't tell you what causes that failure which makes any kind of planned fix impossible of course blind chance might work but the more complicated and bigger the system the worse the odds on getting lucky are and of course a lucky fix won't help if the problem re-emerges at a later change in the code.

Now that I come to think about it, Frontier wouldn't have gone through this issues had they tested their game on consoles properly since this isn't a particularly obscure bug & you already offered a compelling alternative if the source of the problem is unclear so I still see no reason for such an important bug to exist.

There have been no changes to engineers for a while but they have changed significantly from when they first appeared, I am sorry to break the news to you but you have probably got better.

Yes I thought that the new Engineering system has been in for sometime now have used it considerably since it appeared, but in those cases I was Re-Engineering. Now I have just Done a New Build.

Yes I thought that the new Engineering system has been in for sometime now have used it considerably since it appeared, but in those cases I was Re-Engineering. Now I have just Done a New Build.

After the first time you build something at an engineer on a new blueprint the first three stages go much faster, so if you are now building additional modules on blueprints you first used earlier that could be it.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom