Update on Communication

Good list. I'd personally add to it:

- Proper VR implementation in Odyssey on foot
- Anti Aliasing improvements announced ages ago
I would say that Proper VR would have to be and additional paid for DLC, it's a lot more work to put on foot VR people think especially with all the interactions that are required. If you look at the NMS and Skyrim VR implementations, there is a lot to take into account and then you have to add multiplayer and the fact that you'll have to handle VR and non VR players in an integrated experience. Big Job to be honest.

I would say that Proper VR would have to be and additional paid for DLC, it's a lot more work to put on foot VR people think especially with all the interactions that are required. If you look at the NMS and Skyrim VR implementations, there is a lot to take into account and then you have to add multiplayer and the fact that you'll have to handle VR and non VR players in an integrated experience. Big Job to be honest.
That's not something that will be taken lightly by some of the community. Not my stance, but I can already hear the "You took VR out of the game and now you want us to pay to get it back". (Again that's not my view, just how I can imagine some reactions.)

That's not something that will be taken lightly by some of the community. Not my stance, but I can already hear the "You took VR out of the game and now you want us to pay to get it back". (Again that's not my view, just how I can imagine some reactions.)
They haven't taken VR out of the game. There's just as much VR as there always was. They wanted to have Odyssey without VR but after the community appealed to them fdev put in the existing functionality.

What we're talking about is the new functionality. People have paid full price for Skyrim VR, even though they've probably got Skyrim.

They haven't taken VR out of the game. There's just as much VR as there always was. They wanted to have Odyssey without VR but after the community appealed to them fdev put in the existing functionality.

What we're talking about is the new functionality. People have paid full price for Skyrim VR, even though they've probably got Skyrim.
I know. I know this.

Doesn't mean there won't be the inevitable reaction, if this was to happen.

rootsrat

Volunteer Moderator
As a lepper I don't mind :D

Hey OA, we have no plans to develop Odyssey for next gen consoles.
This is the current answer. The option is still active.
Have any manufacturers announced that they have next gen consoles in the offing? The current gen are barely a year old aren’t they?
Next-Gen-Consoles: PS5/XBS
Have you missed the announcement that odyssey is cancelled for consoles?
Read the Quote from Bruce G.

I would say that Proper VR would have to be and additional paid for DLC
Why? it's just a secondary monitor. The game is already in 3D it just sends two slightly offset images to each eye to simulate a 3D environment for VR. Don't need to add controllers or where the player is in space, just keep it to the original control methods with the HMD acting like MouseLook and you're good to go!

Last edited:
Although I suspect more is coming, I'm also thinking FD are really, really concerned about what comes next and 'getting it right', because its that (rather than the two year, very expensive dev wise expansion in Odyssey) that will grow the game. EDO so far has not grown (player numbers wise) the game at all, so anything new in the future will have to attract new players and retain old ones for as little outlay as possible.

If FD hit more bum notes its going to get messy so it will be interesting what that will be.
And ditching console development didn't help,to say the least !

And ditching console development didn't help,to say the least !
No it did not, but this could be mitigated if cross platform legacy features get massively updated. I get foot stuff is the goal, but if consoles are to be left at Horizons level then it makes sense to maximise this base if the next updates are free (i.e. bang for buck reaching as many players as possible).

Exactly, it's a lot of work for what is quite likely a very niche (though highly engaged) segment of the user base. Which translates to at best for it to be a loss-leader, with the main benefit being the most fully featured VR game yet, which itself could be a great showcase for the game. But at this point given the profit write offs for consoles, is it fair to expect Frontier to engage in that sort of thing?

FWIW; the path I see is that Frontier directly poll the user-base to ascertain the potential market (though I imagine they get that as metrics from those who play in VR already), and then also ask them how much they are willing to upfront pay to have this developed as a separate mod. If the equation is doable then its a go, but I doubt many VR players would be willing to do this before they even see how much the mod is likely to cost them. Unless a newly minted lottery winner with cash to splash wants to bankroll it.

Although another path that came to mind would be to award an offical third party a contract to do it paid via a publishing deal to separate the development cost/risk from themselves. But who would take that up?

Why? it's just a secondary monitor. The game is already in 3D it just sends two slightly offset images to each eye to simulate a 3D environment for VR. Don't need to add controllers or where the player is in space, just keep it to the original control methods with the HMD acting like MouseLook and you're good to go!
It's a better solution, and I would be fine with it, but it's still a compromise, and Frontier have gotten flak for the compromise they already made to keep VR in Odyssey in the way that it is.

• 'space content' to on foot missions.
  • reworking of engineering.
  • reworking of Crime and Punishment
  • reworking Powerplay (I'd like CQC as well but I've given up on that).
  • the upgrade of Beyond to use the Odyssey engine (which will be a whole load of new salt but necessary if the game is to have a future).
  • Obviously more optimisation/bug fixes.
Good list! I found Update 11 to be lackluster (but I admit to enjoying being able to sit down! 😁 ). For Update 12, I want to see a general polishing of Odyssey content (in addition to your points):

1. A complete rebalancing of Odyssey foot missions (the current threat levels of missions seem unrelated to the actual mission danger)
  2. When a mission goes sideways, the entire base, including civies!, should not start hunting me down. Hostile reactions need to be located to a discreet area so as to give the player a chance to recover (see, well, just about any other game with a stealth mechanic :ROFLMAO:)
  3. When downed, the player should not be transported LYs away to a penal station. This is the gaming equivalent of a time-out or a penalty box, something that makes failing an (already unbalanced) mission even more annoying and discouraging. Instead, planetary settlements should have a brig where the player is placed until he pays a fine and gives up any contraband.
  4. Fix the missions, especially salvage missions, where the required object doesn't spawn or spawns someplace unreachable by a player!
  5. Make corpses lootable (again, like just about every other game ever made).
  6. Make gun ammo player-controlled (we can stock as much ammo as our suit allows) and an engineering perk (i.e., higher engineered suits have greater ammo capacity).
  7. Make it so a player can recall a ship from a station concourse (I was shocked to discover that you can only request a ship delivery from...inside a ship. 😖)
I am not holding out much hope to see this implemented, sadly.

Last edited:
Point 7. You can have ships delivered from other systems via the Astra shop, you can also select a different docked ship if your current ship was left on some planet or penal base.

I use the feature a lot when switching to travelling via Apex Shuttle services usually after a failed mission or penal base and want to auto-jump back.

Last edited:
[*]reworking of Crime and Punishment
What, again? Do you mean they should change it back to how it was before the last massive change? Be careful what you wish for. That one was ridiculous. How can your ship be guilty of crimes, so just changing to an identical build ship could suddenly make you clean again. And even if you don't, you have to leave the game then reload it in order to pay your fines.

rootsrat

Volunteer Moderator
What, again? Do you mean they should change it back to how it was before the last massive change? Be careful what you wish for. That one was ridiculous. How can your ship be guilty of crimes, so just changing to an identical build ship could suddenly make you clean again. And even if you don't, you have to leave the game then reload it in order to pay your fines.
I think it was meant as an indirect monetary penalty, but since then they've made the money very easy to get also, which contradicts the whole concept.

C&P is terrible it's current form imo. It's not a deterrent to unhealthy and toxic behaviour in game, while at the same time it's just an annoyance to "legit" crime career orientated players.

When a mission goes sideways, the entire base, including civies!, should not start hunting me down. Hostile reactions need to be located to a discreet area so as to give the player a chance to recover (see, well, just about any other game with a stealth mechanic :ROFLMAO:)...

I fail to see why not after all non of the bases are particularly large in area or have a high population plus its not as if they are a diverse community doing unrelated things for different employers. Though having the civilian alertness to you reducing the further away from your failure would be fair depending on whether they were busy in a work area or sitting around bored elsewhere. Otherwise it seems to much like a game mechanic.

Back
Top Bottom