Upgrade Federal Gunship

FGS has enough weapons and a large distributor to match its name.

But from a small power plant can not take advantage of it all. Maybe you can increase the class of his power plant to 7?

I think this ship needs a buff too. Needs more internals and such. It could be my favorite ship, but I can't fit anything inside it.

I can't say that I have too little power in my Gunship, but that might be because of engineering or choice of modules. The Vulture has a relatively small PP as well considering the weapons that can be put in it, I guess that is intentional in both cases.

FGS (medium ship) + 6A Shiled = 286MJ Maneuverability=bad
Krait MKII ( medium ship) + 6A Shield = 350MJ Maneuverability=good
Vulture (small ship) + 5A Shield = 389MJ Maneuverability=good
FDL (medium ship) + 5A Shiled = 470MJ Maneuverability=good

Is FGS a non-combat ship?

Different manufacturer, different priorities. This might lead to players to move to "optimal" combat ships, but that would happen either way if the differences were incredibly small. FDL and Krait not considered for military purposes don't have the restricted slots. Of all the listed ships, the FGS allows for the most versatile weapon loadouts.

Different manufacturer, different priorities. This might lead to players to move to "optimal" combat ships, but that would happen either way if the differences were incredibly small. FDL and Krait not considered for military purposes don't have the restricted slots. Of all the listed ships, the FGS allows for the most versatile weapon loadouts.

Sorry, but if you have not noticed, then everything has already been transferred to a couple of ships.
A full shield or FDL or KRAIT-MK2 and in fact there are no other alternatives now.

http://elite-dangerous.wikia.com/wiki/Krait_MkII

Last edited:

Now count the hardpoints. For example fill them all up with multicannons on a coriolis. See how much damage each of those ships can deliver. Based on this, i could just as well "prove" that the FGS is the only combat ship among those you listed.

Also note that while hulltanks currently are not top rated, the FGS can indeed be set up as a great hybrid tank. A feat which not all of the ships you mention can really do.

Anyways, all of them are combat capable, albeit with different priorities. The Krait MK II has good firepower but is not on par to the FGS. At the same time it is the only other ship on your list, which can carry SLFs. Also, it has an extremely low hull hardness. Thanks to its plenty of internals it can become an acceptable hybrid tank, but not as sturdy as the FGS.

The other ships on your list can't carry a SLF. Also, even the FDL can't match the firepower of a well set up FGS and the Vulture with two C3 hardpoints sure is not a wet noodle, but far below the FGS.

So really, apples and oranges. Due to its low agility, the FGS sure is not the best duel ship. It doesn't suit many peoples style of flying, as bringing the guns on target when flying solo is more effort than in the other ships mentioned. But it can be configured to bring much more firepower than any other ship of similar size or price. So it's very much a combat ship, although it works best in a wing.

Last edited:
The FGS is still the PvE combat king. Nothing shreds a CZ better than full dakka in an FGS. It also has exceptional armor and the low shield values are complimented by exceptionally fast recharge.

You should not be running guardian shield boosters on this ship, nor prismatic shields. Without those two things, I can't see anyone exceeding the PP limits with G5 armored monstered PP.

The FGS is a hybrid, not a shield tank, slap on a biweave and and just think of it as a 250mj heal every approximately minute and a half.

Only the challenger and Krait mk2 (and Python, but meh...) can compete with the FGS for the combination of firepower/defense. The challenger is only half a small hardpoint lower on the offensive side, and the Krait only half a small hardpoint stronger. The FGS has better armor than the Krait (but not the Challenger).

This means that on paper (for PvE use) the Challenger is 'slightly' superior, largely due to its speed and agility by comparison, BUT...the FGS can carry a fighter, and has a medium hardpoint where the challenger has a small, which means that hardpoint damage is compounded against larger ships. The Krait is slightly better for taking on highly armored larger ships, aain due to the average size of the hardpoints providing better bonuses against larger ships.

See, it's all pretty well balanced. FGS is in a good place and is still the ultimate battle ram. Fit it with 7 multicannons or you're doing it wrong. Enjoy.

Last edited:
dps is not that much, but OK, let it be.%)

To give credit where credit is due I didn't come up with the build.
I straight up copied Cmdr Falter's build but I swap out the utils and c1s for different stuff occasionally.

[video=youtube;yaajVR23xC4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaajVR23xC4[/video]

Top Bottom