Useful tips for new players

Here's a question from a new player (me) - do NPCs tend to scale with your own combat rating, or does something else like system government determine this? I'd rather avoid the dangerous, deadly, and elite NPC bad guys the first week out :)

Oh, and a shoutout to MoM - Hi MoM!!!

Last edited:
I've never really noticed any scaling on the pc version. I used to go bounty hunting in hi and low res sites and uf your not careful you can get in well over your head. Of course ship choice and load out really affects your ability to hold your own as well as your actual ability to fly well.
Imho uf you are bounty hunting do so in a wing

Here's a question from a new player (me) - do NPCs tend to scale with your own combat rating, or does something else like system government determine this? I'd rather avoid the dangerous, deadly, and elite NPC bad guys the first week out :)

Oh, and a shoutout to MoM - Hi MoM!!!

I think it does have some bearing on what level of npc is likely to randomly interdict you

Yeah, it increases the chance of spawning a higher ranked enemy :eek: I'd played the game as mainly a trader avoiding combat but recently I started turning to fight more often and as soon as I hit novice I noticed a difference in who was interdicting me!

I think it was explained in either some patch notes or a Dev post this season.

Last edited:
as a veteran of Elite, Elite 2 and Frontier: First Encounters my 2 pieces of advice are:

1: always have a fuel scoop. because you never know when you will need to make an emergency jump out of danger, especially if you have a full cargo hold and have used all you fuel to get some where and pirates appear.

2: And for explorers it would be always have a note book and pen handy, because unlike the PC we can't copy and paste stuff from the game and it will make remembering things in game you may need to use out of game

I am making my own notebook for that :D with my own painted covers :3
maybe I'll post it when its done in 1,2 days

Last edited:
wow

SO was very happy at the start with all the helpful tips!

but towards the second page things got heated a little lol, i think this should be kept to a minimum so that new players can just get hints and tips more easily rather than reading bickering about 0% velocity lol

Cheers guys,

Instead of starting a new thread I will ask in here first: Is there any way of determining if your passengers are wanted (or potentially wanted) in the system you are delivering them to? I just picked up three separate groups in Cubeo all wanting to go to the same planetary outpost one sector over. All was going well until it came to docking, during which a scan announced that one of the groups was wanted, then all hell broke loose. Long story short I am now out a million credits in mission fees and another half mil on top of that for they rebuy. None of the passengers were obviously shady (two bunches of rich tourists and a group of refugees), and nothing I remember seeing in the mission notes suggested there was any prospect of legal trouble. Did I miss something or is this just inbuilt RNG bad luck? If there is a way of avoiding this in future I would appreciate any advice.

It does typically say when you accept the mission. Read through the list of attributes. Sometimes it doesn't show up in bold at the top. I think once you go into the transactions list to individually look at the jobs, it definitely does. And you can always look to your right next to your fuel. If it says "illegal passenger" on board at your starting location , they'll typically be wanted at the destination.

I lost like 20 mil of passengers last night and ate a rebuy on my Anaconda when I miscalculated on entry into a station too. Bounced off the side of the station and got scanned.

Space justice is rough. They'll shoot an anaconda full of tourists just to get one criminal mastermind who just really want to looking at geysers from the statosphere. If I could, I'd just pull over and just space the guy out the airlock.

Last edited:
Top Bottom