User review: fundamentally broken but salvageable

With the game releasing without major day1 patch coming, I feel I can post my experiences. I'll update this with each patch.

[Edit]
Update 1.6 released: it is a first tentative attempt of fixing #9 below. Everything else still broken.
[/Edit]

[Edit2]
I was too generous: this is unsalvageable. The AI outside of race weekends is broken too, and in races lots of variables do nothing or are just bizarre. For example, tire temperature doesn't impact degradation but the other way around. Changing temp stats to anything else just changes the temp readouts, tire degradation is identical.

AI is so 100% absent that in wet races it is only scripted to pit when the track is dry. If it rains for too long AI will simply drive until the tires explode and everyone DNF. Even if they have a minute lead they won't pit. There is no AI, at all, so they can't have any dynamic race events, compound delta, meaningful strats or anything because it will expose the AI as not being programmed yet.

This game is so broken, empty and unfinished it is just smoke&mirrors behind a pretty UE facade. People are calling it a scam and I can see why. It will take a year at least to fix this. All they can do is call this a public beta and give everyone a free key to next year's game.
[/Edit]

{Edit3]
Frontier announced the next update will be the last significant one, thereby only actively supporting this broken release for a month or two. This means that in this 'authentic F1 simulator' changing the setup of your car will never have any kind of impact on the car's performance, the AI can never adapt to anything other than rain and the financial side remains comically unbalanced.
[/Edit]

Tl;dr it's a gorgeous looking race management game which is, due to being clearly rushed, fundamentally broken during race weekends and very shallow outside of it.

I'll just post ten issues:

1) Tire sim is completely non-functional. The delta between soft and hard tires is just a few tenths of second. As such softs are pointless, and you always go for one-stoppers. Undercuts can't work, and nobody ever does them. DRS rules all.

2) AI is not just poor, but wholly absent. They stick to their original strat and will only deviate when it rains. Safety Car a few laps before the pit window opens? They just drive slow laps behind the SC and pit when the race restarts. Lost a wing? No worries, just ignore. I had Verstappen be lapped twice by Williams because he just carried on without a wing. Undercuts? Don't work because of broken tire sim, and if they did work AI wouldn't use them or defend against them.

3) wet conditions are broken. AI keeps the wets on when the track dries but wets are barely slower than slicks even when the track is bone dry.

4) crashes look excellent, usually, but have nothing to do with the race. You can see a car dive headfirst into a concrete barrier only for him to lose a few seconds and have no damage. Massive multi-car crashes often only result in brief yellow flags. Crash animations are pre-programmed and happen in fixed locations.

5) blue flags/quali outlaps are broken. You will typically lose +-5S when overtaking a backmarker, and the backmarker also loses massively. In quali everyone always stays on the racing line. You can intentionally ruin other cars' lap by timing your outlap or inlap well.

6) broken setups. Setting up your car in free practice only gives a flat boost to the driver. Setting downforce to min from max doesn't change the car performance at all, top speed is identical. The boost is also minimal, so you can skip the sessions for a barely noticeable performance loss.

7) Heat largely does nothing at all. You can push tires 100% of the race no prob. A medium-soft with constant full attack is always the best strat.

8) broken finances. All teams largely earn the same per race, and it's insanely much. With Williams you can constantly upgrade many facilities at once, rush all productions and still earn money.

9) broken part development. You can tell the engineers what to focus on when designing parts, like low/med/high speed corners for wings. The correct answer is always "all of it". It takes a few days more and results in godmode components. Williams will dominate at the end of the first season.

10) broken driver progressions. Stats never decrease, so for the first 10-15 seasons current drivers will always be superior.

Again: for a management game it looks gorgeous, and the UI is, though sub-optimal, flashy. The game itself is however broken on every level resulting in a shallow and frustrating experience. I was looking forward to this a lot, and while it may be fun for people with no knowledge of F1 at all, this is the first time I refunded a game that actually launched.

Some people were gambling on a big day1 patch but due to previous experiences with Frontier and their rushed products I had little hope. Since they just posted they are investigating some of the core issues and deploying fixes will take time, I feel it will be weeks if not months before this game is in a release worthy state.

For what it is worth, if they can fix the above the game has potential to be a really fun though somewhat shallow F1 manager. I'll keep an eye on updates and might buy it again later. For now: stay far away if you have any understanding of F1 at all.

Last edited:
This release is worse than Cyberpunk to be honest. What a nightmare.
The difference is that Cyberpunk was mostly terrible on a technical level, and mostly on consoles. While the gameplay wasn't perfect either, the basic loops were functional. F1 Manager is technically stable and runs fairly well, it is just that the gameplay is completely broken. What makes it worse is that, so far, they seem to be very reluctant to openly communicate that they are aware of not just the issue, but of how game breaking it is, and they refuse to make any solid commitments either. The best so far is that they are "investigating" and that if(!) they fix it it might take a while.

It is basically a "yeah, well, okay. We'll see what we can do, maybe." response when shown over and over how fundamentally non-functional their commercial product is. Baffling.

And for those wondering just how hopeless it currently is: you can comfortably get the top-tier teams to get to Q3 in the scorching desert of Bahrein on wet tires. :ROFLMAO: With a few of the OP upgrades you can comfortably win every qualification on wet tires. Literally the most comically stupid, worst possible, never-seen-before-absurd strategy/choice is a winning strategy in this game. It is not just the worst race management game literally ever, being vastly outclassed by even the almost five year old $6 mobile game "motorsport manager 3", I honestly don't know how to make a worse game without intentionally going out of your way to do so.

Last edited:
Sadly i feel the same, after playing a lot with motorsport manager i thought a licensed game with the backing from irl teams and stuff would be a lot better than this...

Thanks for this, it helps make the decision to wait or skip this title entirely.
For what it is worth, people have started diving in the files to see if they can fix this themselves. Already people have changed config files to increase the compound delta. While it does make that part of the sim more realistic, it also shows why FD hasnt done this already: the AI completely falls apart. Right now it seems as if they tried to make a proper sim, failed to make a proper AI, then shot the sim in the kneecaps to hide it. It also explains why they haven't hotfixed the tires, or even simply said they would commit to fixing it: the underlying game seems to be even more broken than we initially thought.

The real question is now whether FD is willing to, again, invest more resources than planned to fix a botched release, or instead simply put some bandaids on it and focus on next year's game. Given that enough players have no clue and just like to see pretty cars go vroom I am doubtful. If you havent bought it yet: wait and see.

I was too generous: people have been digging more and this is unsalvageable. The AI outside of race weekends is broken too, and in races lots of variables do nothing or are just bizarre. For example, tire temperature doesn't impact degradation but the other way around. Changing temp stats to anything else just changes the temp readouts, tire degradation is identical. It's just an illusion.

AI is so 100% absent that in wet races it is only scripted to pit when the track is dry. If it rains for too long AI will simply drive until the tires explode and everyone DNF. Even if they have a minute lead they won't pit. There is no AI, at all, so they can't have any dynamic race events, compound delta, meaningful strats or anything because it will expose the AI as not being programmed yet.

This game is so broken, empty and unfinished it is just smoke&mirrors behind a pretty UE facade. People are calling it a scam and I can see why. It will take a year at least to fix this. All they can do is call this a public beta and give everyone a free key to next year's game.

I was too generous: people have been digging more and this is unsalvageable. The AI outside of race weekends is broken too, and in races lots of variables do nothing or are just bizarre. For example, tire temperature doesn't impact degradation but the other way around. Changing temp stats to anything else just changes the temp readouts, tire degradation is identical. It's just an illusion.

Well this is encouraging.

1) Tire sim is completely non-functional. The delta between soft and hard tires is just a few tenths of second. As such softs are pointless, and you always go for one-stoppers. Undercuts can't work, and nobody ever does them. DRS rules all.

2) AI is not just poor, but wholly absent. They stick to their original strat and will only deviate when it rains. Safety Car a few laps before the pit window opens? They just drive slow laps behind the SC and pit when the race restarts. Lost a wing? No worries, just ignore. I had Verstappen be lapped twice by Williams because he just carried on without a wing. Undercuts? Don't work because of broken tire sim, and if they did work AI wouldn't use them or defend against them.

3) wet conditions are broken. AI keeps the wets on when the track dries but wets are barely slower than slicks even when the track is bone dry.

4) crashes look excellent, usually, but have nothing to do with the race. You can see a car dive headfirst into a concrete barrier only for him to lose a few seconds and have no damage. Massive multi-car crashes often only result in brief yellow flags. Crash animations are pre-programmed and happen in fixed locations.

5) blue flags/quali outlaps are broken. You will typically lose +-5S when overtaking a backmarker, and the backmarker also loses massively. In quali everyone always stays on the racing line. You can intentionally ruin other cars' lap by timing your outlap or inlap well.

6) broken setups. Setting up your car in free practice only gives a flat boost to the driver. Setting downforce to min from max doesn't change the car performance at all, top speed is identical. The boost is also minimal, so you can skip the sessions for a barely noticeable performance loss.

7) Heat largely does nothing at all. You can push tires 100% of the race no prob. A medium-soft with constant full attack is always the best strat.

8) broken finances. All teams largely earn the same per race, and it's insanely much. With Williams you can constantly upgrade many facilities at once, rush all productions and still earn money.

9) broken part development. You can tell the engineers what to focus on when designing parts, like low/med/high speed corners for wings. The correct answer is always "all of it". It takes a few days more and results in godmode components. Williams will dominate at the end of the first season.

10) broken driver progressions. Stats never decrease, so for the first 10-15 seasons current drivers will always be superior.

Good list OP. Yes please FD ... and +1 to ALL of the above.

For what it's worth I find the basics good and the races very compelling, even with tyre deg / blue flag issues etc.

Also FWIW I don't see anything that can't be patched and think F1M22 is not far off, with potential to be a brilliant title.

BEST GAME ABOUT F1 LONG TIME, Better than codemasters messes
I just don't see how you can say that. F1 22 actually has most of the management features in this game with the exception of being able to watch the races ... better graphics/sound/music (graphics by a wide margin), create a driver & team, online play ... FM 22 is nowhere near F1 22's league right now. Seriously if F1 22 had the ability to watch the races in TV camera view and not have to control the driver, I'd play it as a management sim over this.

The one thing I'll say is that it's their first foray into this, so we'll see if they can load on the features next year. But if you look at the progression from JWE to JWE 2 ... I donno

I just don't see how you can say that. F1 22 actually has most of the management features in this game with the exception of being able to watch the races ... better graphics/sound/music (graphics by a wide margin), create a driver & team, online play ... FM 22 is nowhere near F1 22's league right now. Seriously if F1 22 had the ability to watch the races in TV camera view and not have to control the driver, I'd play it as a management sim over this.

The one thing I'll say is that it's their first foray into this, so we'll see if they can load on the features next year. But if you look at the progression from JWE to JWE 2 ... I donno
True. There is a lot to criticize Codemaster for but it is frankly odd that their afterthought feature of My Team is superior in almost every way to F1 Manager. And if you look at the core aspects (AI and race simulation) Codemasters' game is better by a huge margin. They could add a 'let driver control car' feature for Car1 and it would whipe the floor with what Frontier did.

The whole 'it is their first attempt' is true, but hardly an excuse. Even a one-dev first-time F1 management project should get the foundational basics at least approximately in the ballpark...

I bought it because I love F1, have done since 1978 but half way though the first race I was bored. MM Is a far better product especially with some of the mods that are available and the ability to make your own. This is just focused on the race and had far to little to do with the actual team and it's management. The graphics are poor but an obvious focus by the devs. The game feels very un-optimised and the UI has far to many pointless clicks required while racing.

Then you learnt hat the game has no AI, no tire sim and just a very small list of drivers from around the world to choose from.

What do I want?

A game that allows me to start my own team, build it up and take on the best in the world. It needn't be started back in F3 - Although that would be nice I understand you only got the F1 license.

Just like Codemasters 2010 was a hollo shell compared to F1 22 this game needs a huge amount more 'game' in it. I suppose though as a frontier product it will once again appear deep but in-fact just be very shallow... Don't let it be like ED all over again please.

Edit. I should point out the game was refunded very quickly, no more advanced purchases of Frontier software added to my list of things not to do on the interweb.

well, i agree with 90% of what said here.

You can add irrealism like:
  • magical fix on broken parts.
  • no engine wear at all, or broken
  • penalties given, when not apply, or put on a pilot and suddenly to another
  • Sting with 4 floating wheels, flyiiing hiiigh
  • Bad color compounds exiting pits lane ( medium on car, soft on leaders list )
  • ugly dialogue like; ok pilot, you can join in now, when the race end, but the pilot is already park.
  • crash where you see other car parts flying around, and then nothing.
  • reconfigure time magically switching from 4:xx:xx to less the 0:xx:30, and versa ( very usefull when you mastered the bug =) )
  • when you use a pilot outside of the 20 official, no podiums animations...

• unreal d3d errors with code related to defect GPU not able to render quickly enough ( yeah, my GTX380TI is not powerfull enough, hopefully new preiceless hardware is coming soon, really needed for this level of graphism )
  • crash, save game corruption ( due to DB not closing quickly enough if i may !!! )

So, yes; 1.6 fixed some bugs.

Pretty sure 1.7 will do too.

But what we expect is not fixes... it's the promise games sold by marketing people. I knew they were lying, but i think i am stupid.

Edit. I should point out the game was refunded very quickly, no more advanced purchases of Frontier software added to my list of things not to do on the interweb.
It's one step further for me. I tend to buy my games either directly from studios or from Steam as that means the devs get a guaranteed part of my money, but from now on it'll be neither for me and I'll just buy it from the cheapest legal key seller. What FD has done is again so fundamentally dishonest that I don't really enjoy the idea of them being rewarded for it in any form.

Seem you're a little extreme...maybee.

FD has two choice.
  • fixing their games, patch after patch ( I beleive i can fly ... tagada stoin stoin )
  • stop playing in "la cour des grands" and going back to their tycoon rubbish

For the moment, let's see and wait...not too long.

Top Bottom