Using Thrustmaster HOTAS on XBOX one: Advice HERE

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
I have had the HOTAS for Xbox a while now, at least 6 months I think and I have loved it.

I have an issue now though and was wondering if anyone else has experienced it and managed to fix it.

There's a problem with my rudder feature, I haven't got pedals, I mean the twist rudder feature on the right stick which now pulls to the left. For the past several weeks, it has got progressively worse and now makes it very hard to fly and land. It is even more frustrating in the menus and trying to use the galaxy map is now almost impossible. Now when I load up the galaxy map it constantly spins and I'm unable to select anything!

I have worked out a temp fix by turning the little screw underneath the joystick handle to lock the rudder controls but sometimes even that doesn't manage to stop the pull to the left.

Before I try and contact the manufacturer I thought I would tap into some of the expertise here. Desperate to get this working properly again, my Elite experience is really suffering.

This seems to be a recurrent issue with the ThrustMaster T.Flight One --> https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=423067

Mine got replaced by T.M.

If it's within warranty get it replaced.

Deleted member 110222

D
Good advice right there. Loosening the resistance also helps with accuracy... once you get used to having less feedback.

Agreed. I'm going to revise my deadzones tomorrow. I didn't actually realise until a few days ago that the resistance could be adjusted, but I've now got the stick as loose as it goes, and man is it good!

Thanks for the advice in this thread. I just got the Hotas One and I was able to give it a go last night. Although I will give it about a week or two to change anything up, there were some immediate issues that I may be changing. My hands are more on the smaller size so the thrust up and down buttons can be a bit of a stretch. I with they would have made those buttons bigger and the lateral thrust a little smaller. I will probably remap the flight assist and silent running buttons because of my awkwardness of Y+thrust buttons. I may just map B+thrust buttons if they are in fact unused by default, or swap its functionality for the ship lights and camera suite since I rarely use them.

The head-look button on top of the flight stick also seems like a really weird place to have it. I can see it getting in the way and me fumbling when I'm trying to get eyes on and maneuver in the middle of combat.

Overall I'm really liking the Hotas One so far.

I just got the pedals for my xbox one, and it doesn't look like they can be mapped specifically. They just duplicate the twist of the stick (default Yaw). I was thinking of mapping mine to roll instead, as well as mapping the toe presses, but those don't look to be supported at this time. Otherwise, I'm just starting to get used to them myself.

If anyone has had better luck, I'll take suggestions. o7

I just got the pedals for my xbox one, and it doesn't look like they can be mapped specifically. They just duplicate the twist of the stick (default Yaw). I was thinking of mapping mine to roll instead, as well as mapping the toe presses, but those don't look to be supported at this time. Otherwise, I'm just starting to get used to them myself.

If anyone has had better luck, I'll take suggestions. o7
Check the ED Options/Controls and find where the twist is mapped; you might be able to change something there. I find the defaults are really good for the way I fly (Dangerous 89%). Spending most of my time upping my combat rank in LHS 2441 HI RES learning how to fight a Krait with a fixed #3 Beam, 2 gimballed #3 Multi-cannons and 2 turreted #2 Cannons. Learning a lot everyday. Have fun; fly safe and be dangerous, o7 Cmdr.

The Thrustmaster pedals do infact slide and pivot, does anyone know if us consolers can utilise both axis ?

ps sat at home waiting fa the amazon deliveries van with a TM pedal set to arrive !

Last edited:
The toe brakes definitely do not work on the Xbox. I was able to confirm all axis worked correctly using the TM software on PC, but the rudder twist is locked to the stick twist and toe brakes are ignored. This, the short cord, underwhelming throttle smoothness, and poor mounting options has led me to mod mine quite extensively. This is still in-progress as slow international shipping of components and procrastination takes its toll.

That's a good looking bunch of co-pilots there. (referring to picture of 3 dogs).

I am joining the HOTAS group tonight. My DBX is out in the black so I am going to tool around and get used to the controls.

Last edited:
Original poster here.

I am in process of updating these sheets. After chapter four update I finally GAVE UP on modifying my customized setup. I just went back to default controls. I am in the process of reviewing all of the controls so that I know what has changed.

Unfortunately on XBOX there seems to be some problems with the scanner commands with the default controls. For example.... even though it says on my screen "HOLD A to SCAN"... holding A does nothing.

Frontier really does produce a half-baked cake. Are they "average" in update quality compared to their peers? Sometimes I wonder.

For example, I remember years ago when I first deploying the SRV for the first time there was no response from controls. Here.... no key bindings were installed with the newly released Horizons. If you had customized anything in key bindings the system simply didn't enter any key-bindings at all when installing Horizons.

Any help from the game? No. I had to go to the google to figure out for myself what the problem was and how to fix it.

I don't want to waste my time on crap like this. They are producing a game for my enjoyment, it shouldn't be a major pain in the posterior every time there is an update or new content. Another Example? Gnosis no-fire zone still turned on during that "new content".

There is too much bad taste when eating this cake. I sure hope the content is worth it.

Game Developer grade: C-

Last edited:
Original poster here.

I am in process of updating these sheets. After chapter four update I finally GAVE UP on modifying my customized setup. I just went back to default controls. I am in the process of reviewing all of the controls so that I know what has changed.

Unfortunately on XBOX there seems to be some problems with the scanner commands with the default controls. For example.... even though it says on my screen "HOLD A to SCAN"... holding A does nothing.

Frontier really does produce a half-baked cake. Are they "average" in update quality compared to their peers? Sometimes I wonder.

For example, I remember years ago when I first deploying the SRV for the first time there was no response from controls. Here.... no key bindings were installed with the newly released Horizons. If you had customized anything in key bindings the system simply didn't enter any key-bindings at all when installing Horizons.

Any help from the game? No. I had to go to the google to figure out for myself what the problem was and how to fix it.

I don't want to waste my time on crap like this. They are producing a game for my enjoyment, it shouldn't be a major pain in the posterior every time there is an update or new content. Another Example? Gnosis no-fire zone still turned on during that "new content".

There is too much bad taste when eating this cake. I sure hope the content is worth it.

Game Developer grade: C-

The main button keys don't seem to be mapping too well with the Custom HOTAS profile....Bug Report

One question about calibration. Anyone had any problems with Throttle? For example my is bugged or something, when i put him in neutral-central position(0% speed), well, it's not really there, because my speed stays 6% in neutral position, i must put it slightly backwards to stop my engines.

I connected it to PC, checked joystick settings and i see that physically it stays in 0%, but on scale throttle is not centered, goes slightly upwards.

I disconnected my usb cable, put throttle in central position, reconnect everything, then system shows that everything is centered, but when i slightly push throttle, then it wont go back to 0% again and stays on 6% or 8%.

Its not big problem really, for example i can use full forward mode, so entire throttle is 0 to 100% and working fine, but i am playing with Flight Assist Off, so i need full control over my thrusters :/

Update: Problem is gone now. Solution was simple - options -> flight throttle -> Throttle Axis -> Expand menu and there are deadzone settings. Changed it to 15% and now everything is working as intended.

I am having this issue, along with the throttle not reaching 100%. Were you having this issue as well? If so, did it correct after adjusting deadzone?

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom