Valve Index VR headset

god rays?
Yes. Check out the link in my previous post. It is mentioned on page 2.

While Valve’s dual-element optics might be focused on a wide field of view and large sweet spot, it seems to have come at the cost of an increase in internal reflections (god rays). Moderately high contrast scenes cause significant glare which unfortunately detracts from the other benefits in clarity.

Last edited:
New info on the valve index
999$ for the kit includeds the HMD, 2x controllers and 2x base stations. You can also buy these items separately.

Min system Requirements
OSWindows 10, SteamOS, Linux
RAM8 GB+
GPUNVIDIA GeForce GTX 970+ or AMD RX480+ Available DisplayPort required, HDMI not supported
CPUDual Core with hyperthreading, or better
USB3.0+ for headset cameras

Last edited:
increased god rays? :-O was already leaning towards the s, but from what I've heard the s at least has a little less god rays. I'm not going to sit here and say the rift s is better than the index, not at all... Just that the index isn't sounding $600 better.

Last edited:
And as I suspected it seems it's not available for my country either, like the old steamvr controller, so Valve has honestly just ed themselves.
I might as well pre-order a rift S

increased god rays? :-O was already leaning towards the s, but from what I've heard the s at least has a little less god rays. I'm not going to sit here and say the rift s is better than the index, not at all... Just that the index isn't sounding $600 better.

Did you get this from the video, I listened to it but missed some parts as I was doing some work in the kitchen?

My puppy was murdered twice by Valve today........Not available in Canada...
and this godrays issue...just not really acceptable IMO.

I wonder though....Didn't the VivePro have godray issues that went aay with the lens mods? If so maybe the index will need the same treatment?

Hmm, well the price is disappointing, but not unexpected. I like what I read about the increased FOV and resolution. I would absolutely have to upgrade my video card to run this, so I'd be looking at $2k+. Think I'll hold onto my Rift until the next big breakthrough headset is released.

I'm trying to find out more about the "god ray issue" - from all of the 'hands on' reviews I have read only 1 mentions this issue, all of the others state that the index is much better than the either of the Vive devices in terms of the problem.... not sure what to think really... I wouldn't want to go back to god rays after my time spent with a Vive Pro + GearVR lens mod.

I'm trying to find out more about the "god ray issue" - from all of the 'hands on' reviews I have read only 1 mentions this issue, all of the others state that the index is much better than the either of the Vive devices in terms of the problem.... not sure what to think really... I wouldn't want to go back to god rays after my time spent with a Vive Pro + GearVR lens mod.
I suppose it depends on the demos they had time to play. Pretty sure they would avoid showing high contrast visuals if it would make the god rays obvious.

the Pimax leaves me seriously considering going back to the cv1, cause apart from lower end experiences the fps is so abysmal it's unplayable.
I dont know what gfx card do you have. But on my Strix 2080 ti I’m running ED at stable 90 fps in most scenarios and ~70 fps near planetary bases or inside coriolis with FFR on ( conservative) and res more than 4 k per eye ( pitool 1.25 , steam vr 70%) Very smooth & visualy great expirence ! We have so many option to play in Pitools right now that nobody sholud complain about ED performance .

Last edited:
my Strix 2080 ti I’m running ED at stable 90 fps in most scenarios and ~70 fps near planetary bases or inside coriolis

Personally I'd find that level of performance unacceptable. Each to their own of course but in my eyes it shows that even the highest end card available isn't able to drive that device when comes to Elite.

I suppose it depends on the demos they had time to play. Pretty sure they would avoid showing high contrast visuals if it would make the god rays obvious.

It could also be as simple as that one reviewer having finger smudges or similar on the lenses.... I'd need to hear more reports of the issue to be honest and my impression was that all of the reviewers has access to the same games during the hands on. I'm not saying that the issue isn't there, just that there is only one report of it which strikes me as odd.

It could also be as simple as that one reviewer having finger smudges or similar on the lenses.... I'd need to hear more reports of the issue to be honest and my impression was that all of the reviewers has access to the same games during the hands on. I'm not saying that the issue isn't there, just that there is only one report of it which strikes me as odd.
I'm gonna blame Fresnel. Him and his stupid lenses!

Nope, Tested said otherwise!, you can get rid of god rays through proper adjustment according to Tested (Norman Chan).
And upload VR posted that Godrays are gone.

We need reviews from people that spent more than 30 minutes in the headset.
Maybe it was just about headset placement on face as Tested and Upload VR reported because it would be very surprising that Valve has made this beginner error.

Anyway as Canadian, I'm screwed.

I'm eager to get a look at this new one. Need to decide how to deal with my pro and base Vive though. Could sell in the pro if I get the new base stations and controllers.

Top Bottom