Valve Index VR headset

Personally I'd find that level of performance unacceptable. Each to their own of course but in my eyes it shows that even the highest end card available isn't able to drive that device when comes to Elite.

That performance on a Pimax? Sounds pretty good from everything I've read about them.

I suppose it depends on the demos they had time to play. Pretty sure they would avoid showing high contrast visuals if it would make the god rays obvious.

Ars Technica said the godrays are pretty bad in medium high contrast situations. As for other reviewers...there was no mention of this really but one or two articles did mention they played specific games that didn't really have medium high contrast situations or something of that nature.

Frankly I think we need a reviewer that we know like SweViver to take a look and most notably try it out in ED.

Well that’s a first. It’s $999 and they want £919 not £999 for the full kit in the U.K. Brownie points to valve for that!

Think I’ll see what this HP reverb is like before I do anything but it’s looking like the index will be my Rift replacement. Wish I didn’t need lighthouses but with the Pimax, Vive and now this needing them it seems they’re here to stay.

I'm on an i7 8700k 32GB Ram both OC for stability and a 1080ti.

I granted haven't tried elite yet, cause I'm honestly bored with the game at this point. Most of my time now is spent in dcs where the best I have manage to see is 40fps even when everything is so downgraded it looks like a potato game.

I'm not going to buy a $1400 gpu to try and get another 10fps.
Which some people think is playable I don't find that playable even in the slightest.
Playing games at those fps's even on a 2d monitor gives me a headache so imagine how disgusting I find that in VR.

Add this to what I can honestly say was the longest most unresponsive support experience of my life, and that includes dealing with the likes of Compaq/HP, Dell etc.

For regular VR titles, you know those you play for 20 minutes and then forget about it's great I can crank up and find decent frames no problem.
But anything I actually spend time with is utterly unplayable.

I granted haven't tried elite yet, cause I'm honestly bored with the game at this point. Most of my time now is spent in dcs where the best I have manage to see is 40fps even when everything is so downgraded it looks like a potato game.

Which some people think is playable I don't find that playable even in the slightest.
Playing games at those fps's even on a 2d monitor gives me a headache so imagine how disgusting I find that in VR.

Add this to what I can honestly say was the longest most unresponsive support experience of my life, and that includes dealing with the likes of Compaq/HP, Dell etc.

For regular VR titles, you know those you play for 20 minutes and then forget about it's great I can crank up and find decent frames no problem.

Is this with the Pimax 5k? I’ve not played ED for a while either but loads of X plane. Played DCS for the first time in ages the other day after buying the Harrier in the sale and was amazed how well it ran (on the Rift though).

I’ve been put off the Pimax coz of £300 for lighthouses and it sounds a bit too experimental/demanding. The Reverb is probably too demanding too. I really want to upgrade.

Is this with the Pimax 5k? I’ve not played ED for a while either but loads of X plane. Played DCS for the first time in ages the other day after buying the Harrier in the sale and was amazed how well it ran (on the Rift though).

I’ve been put off the Pimax coz of £300 for lighthouses and it sounds a bit too experimental/demanding. The Reverb is probably too demanding too. I really want to upgrade.
Yeah, the pimax 5k+, and X-plane 11 is worse than DCS from what I hear.
The rift on the other hand I keep in spacewarp, but I can maintain spacewarp in DCS with plenty of headroom and can get decent settings, high quality on most settings and SS of 1.4x I quite honestly find the resolution difference much smaller than what I have between it and the rift.
So the main difference is the FOV, even at the lowest setting it's massive compared to the CV1.

But with such a low frame rate it's doubly annoying, and I almost get a headache after a few minutes flying in it.

I switched back to the rift and yeah narrow fov slammed me in the face, but after three minutes I had completely forgotten about it.

If DCS gets a few optimisations, for instance they say they have found a hiccup in the terrain engine and sorting that would give about 50% performance boost in VR, and I do hope somewhat that Pimax can get more out of their software, but I find the software also very cumbersome to use, and changing one setting pretty much means rebooting the whole shebang.

Compared to rift where you can do anything really from inside the DASH interface.
I did pre-order a Rift S though..

Addendum:
If you need al the other kit as well, then the Index and the new controllers will definitely be the better option, I'm honestly considering getting one of those too, but they would have to make it available for my area first :\
Here's hoping they plan to expand past the first release area.

Last edited:

That actually depends on the module. I get 90 VR fps in Caucasus in Mig 29 from flaming cliffs 3, yet in F18 performance is abysmal. I fly only offline, so there's that too, but DCS is not an optimisation monster, sadly.

That actually depends on the module. I get 90 VR fps in Caucasus in Mig 29 from flaming cliffs 3, yet in F18 performance is abysmal. I fly only offline, so there's that too, but DCS is not an optimisation monster, sadly.
Indeed, and I am aware, so far I have only been testing on my own little training day mission around Kobuleti, using the Harrier and the UH1,
Both have been giving me relatively stable FPS.
And going over a few thousand feet I would usually see 90fps in the rift with those.
And if I'm getting 25-40 in those I might get 5 in the f-18, I just can't be bothered to try that.

Yeah, the pimax 5k+, and X-plane 11 is worse than DCS from what I hear.
The rift on the other hand I keep in spacewarp, but I can maintain spacewarp in DCS with plenty of headroom and can get decent settings, high quality on most settings and SS of 1.4x I quite honestly find the resolution difference much smaller than what I have between it and the rift.
So the main difference is the FOV, even at the lowest setting it's massive compared to the CV1.

But with such a low frame rate it's doubly annoying, and I almost get a headache after a few minutes flying in it.

I switched back to the rift and yeah narrow fov slammed me in the face, but after three minutes I had completely forgotten about it.

If DCS gets a few optimisations, for instance they say they have found a hiccup in the terrain engine and sorting that would give about 50% performance boost in VR, and I do hope somewhat that Pimax can get more out of their software, but I find the software also very cumbersome to use, and changing one setting pretty much means rebooting the whole shebang.

Compared to rift where you can do anything really from inside the DASH interface.
I did pre-order a Rift S though..

Addendum:
If you need al the other kit as well, then the Index and the new controllers will definitely be the better option, I'm honestly considering getting one of those too, but they would have to make it available for my area first :\
Here's hoping they plan to expand past the first release area.

Interesting, thanks. I’ll definitely keep away from the Pimax then. I’ve not ruled out the Rift S but it seems a bit of a sideways upgrade. It still sounds like an improvement though particularly with the inside out tracking. I can’t use the controllers in the cockpit for switches etc because the desk blocks the cameras on the current Rift.

The Reverb looks so promising, like a higher resolution Rift S but all that resolution is gonna need a monster card to power (well). I suspect the Index will be better overall. With anything other than the Rift S I’ll soon be forking our for a 2080 or better.

I guess if you don't absolutely HAVE TO upgrade, you should wait until the new devices (rifts, indexes, new pimaxes [rumoured]) are in people's hands and there are solid reviews out there. Let us fools test it first, then decide :) Also read on DCS forums that Wags doesn't like lighthouse tracking (wth?) and "is disappointed they used it in the index". Too bad. But it's steamvr so it should work with DCS anyway. Would be great to get knuckles support in DCS for button pushing and virtual "hands on" flying...

Also Pimax is getting their own "knuckles knockoffs" (c)vr365 ;-) to the market soon, I wonder how they will be priced.

Interesting, thanks. I’ll definitely keep away from the Pimax then
Pimax's not that bad. The image quality is great, the sweetspot is huge. Software is marred by teething issues though, and the need for parallel projection in some games (khem, Elite, khem) sucks out performance even more. But you can mess with the sliders in software if you're determined enough. Still it's far from console type plug and play experience. Source: had one for testing for a week or two at home.

I have always had reservations about the Pimax in terms of how well it would perform on games such as Elite and other more resource intensive games - as you say, anything other than those 20 minute wonders (which will likely work quite well) will have performance issues. My play time is generally not spent with those 20 minute wonder games.

There is little chance of enjoying Elite on the Valve Index at the120 or 144Hz modes, with the additional FOV it'll be interesting to see how it plays at 90Hz even. The Index has the same res my Vive Pro which is just on the cusp of mantaining 90FPS on my system (which is your spec) with Steam and in-game SS set to 100% and lots of settings on medium other than textures, adding the extra 20 degrees of FOV would likely tip rigs of our specs into reprojection an awful lot (meh). The Index's 80Hz mode may help with performance though....

I have an Index pre-ordered but I don't hold my hopes out for great performance in Elite, I guess time will tell! I'll likely keep hold of my Vive Pro and decide which I use for certain games. If the Index works well enough then I'll maybe consider selling my Pro + Wireless Adapter to recoup a bit of cash.

Last edited:
Top Bottom