Valve Index VR headset

I didn't try the camera yet. Honestly don't care that much for it, it was a PITA in the og vive and it still uses the edge detection filter. Valve said it is working on a better version which will be released later this summer.

Oh and for the record I have perfect vision, no glasses and can dial the fov slider so that lens housing touches my eyebrows no problem.

My Index arrived yesterday so I plumbed it in at lunch today alongside the Pimax 8K (and I have a Rift, got rid of a Lenovo WMR and have a legacy Vive for tracking stations/wands).

First impressions... well, blimey.

Pros:
Comfort - the headstrap is lovely. Easy to fit, very comfortable and it's all there. Nice headphones too.
Screens - yep, two - so manual IPD (which I need; I'm sub-60mm). Resolution is great; if not Pimax destroying, buuuut text is cleaner. A bit of give here, take there. But.. 120Hz! Holy cow that's nice. Night and day better than the 72/80hz of the Pimax (and yeah, we're talking about driving resolutions so it's a really nice compromise on my 1080Ti).
FoV - defintely "middle of the road". Not 170+ like the 8K (and immediately obvious when swapping headsets) but way better than the Rift/WMRs etc. I have it dialled in to my face (again, IPD) and it's good enough.

Cons:
Too expensive, needs more kit (I don't have the Knuckles yet), lighthouses etc
Glare; I dialled it out and forgot about it but the Pimax has far less of this (and those God Rays)

So far, that's it. I think I'll be Pimax'ing in ED and Index'ing in Assetto, where in one the FPS isn't the be-all (but FoV certainly is) and the other, FPS can kill the game. Horses for courses maybe? But the Index is as close to a v2 headset that you can commercially buy, plug in and it "just work", over having other tools needed, overlays, Projection-this, and faff that in every game session. I would recommend the Index, but the lack of support, headstrap/audio, drivers and compatibility on the Pimax still makes me err on staying with "the big boys" when recommending VR to friends that don't like to tweak/test/faff per game session.

Hi all,i am waiting for my HP reverb to replace my old Rift. Not available in France (amazon) at this time,maybe Juil 15. o7

My Index arrived yesterday so I plumbed it in at lunch today alongside the Pimax 8K (and I have a Rift, got rid of a Lenovo WMR and have a legacy Vive for tracking stations/wands).

First impressions... well, blimey.

Pros:
Comfort - the headstrap is lovely. Easy to fit, very comfortable and it's all there. Nice headphones too.
Screens - yep, two - so manual IPD (which I need; I'm sub-60mm). Resolution is great; if not Pimax destroying, buuuut text is cleaner. A bit of give here, take there. But.. 120Hz! Holy cow that's nice. Night and day better than the 72/80hz of the Pimax (and yeah, we're talking about driving resolutions so it's a really nice compromise on my 1080Ti).
FoV - defintely "middle of the road". Not 170+ like the 8K (and immediately obvious when swapping headsets) but way better than the Rift/WMRs etc. I have it dialled in to my face (again, IPD) and it's good enough.

Cons:
Too expensive, needs more kit (I don't have the Knuckles yet), lighthouses etc
Glare; I dialled it out and forgot about it but the Pimax has far less of this (and those God Rays)

So far, that's it. I think I'll be Pimax'ing in ED and Index'ing in Assetto, where in one the FPS isn't the be-all (but FoV certainly is) and the other, FPS can kill the game. Horses for courses maybe? But the Index is as close to a v2 headset that you can commercially buy, plug in and it "just work", over having other tools needed, overlays, Projection-this, and faff that in every game session. I would recommend the Index, but the lack of support, headstrap/audio, drivers and compatibility on the Pimax still makes me err on staying with "the big boys" when recommending VR to friends that don't like to tweak/test/faff per game session.
I tried Assetto Corsa @120hz and that was glorious. Can't believe how much fps effects your ability to interact with physics. I mean it makes total sense when you think about it. But man what a difference. Every little steering and pedal input happened instantly. It really felt like all latency has been removed. Really helps to convince you of the reality being simulated

What about the heat, I keep reading reports about the index giving off lots of heat, as in it will make you sweat?
It does give off a lot of heat on the front where the frunk is but the hmd does not get as hot on my face as my dk2 or vive did. The Index has good ventilation. It hasn't fogged up yet either

Bit the bullet and got the headset this week... I own several but the odyssey and odyssey + had become my sets of choice for ED.

The Index is a solid choice but I haven’t been blown away. Res, audio comfort, FOV, tracking are all great and for me it’s probably the best in class ATM, though haven’t tried the reverb.

I’m not sure what I was expecting because I have no reason to be disappointed... maybe I’ve been at this so long now that the “wow” factor of a new headset is no longer an option?

Edit: a few more hours in and the most striking thing is the res... I realised the pixels are pretty much gone.
The set is designed to be worn for long periods of time and the ergonomic certainly seem to have a great “balance”.

The audio is also really popping now! I’m getting more shimmer than I’m used to in ED and am playing with settings to compensate. I’ve also turned down the frequency to 90hz as I’m on my UK pc which is only sporting a 1080.

It’ll be interesting to see what the 2080ti can handle when I return in a few weeks, but it’s definately growing on me!

Last edited:
I tried Assetto Corsa @120hz and that was glorious. Can't believe how much fps effects your ability to interact with physics. I mean it makes total sense when you think about it. But man what a difference. Every little steering and pedal input happened instantly. It really felt like all latency has been removed. Really helps to convince you of the reality being simulated

I can't understand all this hype for 120Hz. I have a lenovo explorer and never notices any latency playing AC or any other game.

The more I'm hearing of the index, I feel less of need to get one.

I'm not contesting it is best in class as a package. It's just not enough of a difference.
Same thing with my 1080ti vs 2080ti.
Too much for not enough, I'll hang back and wait for the next batch of hmd's that bring something new to the table.

And since I'm in the golden zone for the rift s and Valve isn't seeking the index in Norway at all, they might as well keep it.
The S has made both made fiscal sense for me as well as valve not even giving me an option. Sure there might be ways to get it, I'm not interested enough to figure out what those would be.

The insight tracking system isn't giving me any issues either. In fact it's more stable than the lighthouse system has ever been for me on the Vive and pimax 5k+.

120hz sure would be nice, thats really the only major thing, but my main title can sometimes reach 80hz in occasion due to software only using a single cpu core let alone 90, so what would the benefit of 120hz be?.
It would limit to 60 at best and force motion prediction to run constantly, and Valve is still behind Oculus there in terms of spacewarp quality .

Besides steamvr is such a buggy broken mess still, I find it one the main reasons I end up sticking with Oculus.

I can't understand all this hype for 120Hz. I have a lenovo explorer and never notices any latency playing AC or any other game.
I didn't either till I tried it. It's like having a higher resolution on your inputs and the time the sim takes to convey those inputs. All of my lap times are falling. I can catch my car much easier when it becomes unstable while trying to push the edge. All in all I feel much more in control and confident.

What about the heat, I keep reading reports about the index giving off lots of heat, as in it will make you sweat?

I only had mine for a short time. Didn't notice overt heat yet. You can mount a flexible stick fan on the frunk USB port to cool yourself and the HMD, and I'm sure there'll be more custom cooling solutions once aftermarket catches up.

The more I'm hearing of the index, I feel less of need to get one.

I upgrade from the Oculus so it made sense for me. If you have a S then other than a little improved FOV and perhaps comfort, which is highly subjective, it may not be worth it. I being somewhat less informed was actually most pleasantly surprised by the fact that base stations, like Vive's, don't have to be connected to the PC unlike the Oculus's. But yeah SteamVR is clunky. At the same time though, basic things like performance measurement is easier to get to compared to Oculus Home and the almost-must Oculus Tray Tool.

Honestly even a 2080ti can't drive Elite at adequate quality above 90Hz so might as well forget about that. Only graphically less demanding games will benefit.

How VR-optimized is Asstto Corsa? Given that with the increased resolution my 2080ti can barely keep things at what I view as acceptable quality at 90Hz (this is best illustrated on planets with every terrain related setting set to ultra) I didn't even try 120Hz in Elite.

Anyone wants to share VR profiles for various graphic cards paired with Index? Here's mine on 2080ti. Timing goes up to 15ms in stations but otherwise pretty good for 90Hz. I did set custom resolution override in SteamVR to 100%, choosing to let the HMD quality setting do that part since it's changeable in game.

Top Bottom