Valve Index VR headset

I have a decision to make. Before buying all my PC parts I emailed valve to reserve an index when one became available.

I've since bought a Rift S, but ultimately found it a bit disappointing. I've just had the email from valve saying I can now order an Index.

Do I go for it?

Dont forget the Reverb has now been sorted and will be available soon. That really will impress you - its the first big leap in image quality.

Worth listening to what Heavygroovez says Nighteyes, one of the most experienced VR users on the forums with a carefully considered opinion.

Also, 'head slipper' :D o7

Yeah, thanks @HeavyGroovez - the Reverb is probably what I should be looking for. The Rift S is genuinely good, been playing NMS today with it. The controllers are great, and there are some great games available. So I think I'll stick with the Rift S, and then go for a Reverb for Elite. :)

What's the difference between "Super Sampling" and "HMD Image Quality"?. On the face of it I would expect these to be the same so clearly I'm missing something (and the in-game descriptions are lacking).

Also, does either of these override the oversampling setting in SteamVR, or is it all multiplicative?

Trying to find the best combo for a 1080 Ti. Any advice much appreciated.

What's the difference between "Super Sampling" and "HMD Image Quality"?

"HMD Quality" is essentially the same as setting oversampling using your VR runtime (such as SteamVR), and it is as in your second suggestion a factor on top of what you have there.

"Supersampling" is available even when you are not using a VR headset, and will do the downsampling step itself, before handing the images over to the VR runtime.

..so you'll want to use HMD Quality exclusively, to preserve the full rendered resolution all the way until the final point where the VR runtime performs the step of fitting the rendered views to the screens, in the process compensating for the distortions of the lens, unless you feel like trying to push past x2.0 (…at which point the texture filtering will be close to beginning to skip samples anyway), on a lark; x2.0x2.0 does wonders against Elite's stubborn aliasing - too bad about the weeks-per-frame performance. :7

"HMD Quality" is essentially the same as setting oversampling using your VR runtime (such as SteamVR), and it is as in your second suggestion a factor on top of what you have there.

"Supersampling" is available even when you are not using a VR headset, and will do the downsampling step itself, before handing the images over to the VR runtime.

..so you'll want to use HMD Quality exclusively
Many thanks jojon, that clears it up completely, and means I can just set both in-game settings to 1.0 and handle it using the finer-grained setting in SteamVR. o7

My failing eyes notwithstanding, I compared my different settings between SteamVR SS, in-game SS and HMD and found that HMD above 1.0 helped somewhat but not much without good in-game SS regardless; cranking up in-game SS really improved the image but hammers my GPU. SteamVR SS e.g. +500% makes a little difference but not much and also hurts my fps alot less. All well and good but this seems contrary to the consensus so I feel I'm missing something. Hmm.

A pro-tip for getting the HMD's cameras working, before messing around swapping USB ports as advised on the subreddit, just check your Windows privacy settings. If you're a curmudgeon like me, you probably locked it down.

I spent an embarassing amout of time fiddling with USB until this occurred to me.

Now, with the latest SteamVR beta, Elite is great. I can single-click the HMD button to summon the settings UI and double-click it to get the camera overlay view of the real room.

A pro-tip for getting the HMD's cameras working, before messing around swapping USB ports as advised on the subreddit, just check your Windows privacy settings. If you're a curmudgeon like me, you probably locked it down.

I spent an embarassing amout of time fiddling with USB until this occurred to me.

Now, with the latest SteamVR beta, Elite is great. I can single-click the HMD button to summon the settings UI and double-click it to get the camera overlay view of the real room.
Have you ever found the HMD camera coming on all by itself during gameplay? I had that a few times with my O+ although not recently. Always had to restart WMR. Got me wondering if that is, somehow related to privacy settings.

Have you ever found the HMD camera coming on all by itself during gameplay? I had that a few times with my O+ although not recently. Always had to restart WMR. Got me wondering if that is, somehow related to privacy settings.
Not so far, but I haven't given it much play time yet.

God Rays are caused by the light from the hmd reflecting off the fresnel rings in the lens, for me, this is the worst part about VR and is really horrible...

I made a through the lens video of inside of a Conda parked on Garay Terminal in Deciat on the Index. It is absolutely the worst case scenario and these ttl videos are deceiving - the image quality is far better than seen here. Especially the clarity of the picture - basically with the index you can say that the clear picture is about 70-80% of the lens, and gets blurrier as we get to the outer edges of the lenses. No distortion happening, just slightly blurring. I tried to wiggle the phone to get the sharpest image possible, so when you see a sharp picture, consider it at least that sharp if not better. I also tried using a proper camera with an 18-55mm lens and it didn't turn out better. This is filmed in 4k@60, so if you have a 4k monitor you can switch to that res. What else? Glare and SDE is exacerbated by the phone lens. SDE with your eyes is practically not visible, and glare is manageable if you're in the sweetspot.

To give an analogy you can check out on pancake or in other headset - the resolution on the index is good enough to notice that Cutter's floor has a nice circuit board pattern on the tiles, or that the Eagle's inside cockpit handles are made of brushed aluminium of which you can see the individual strokes. If I position my head so I am looking dead center on the mailslot, the whole outer ring is clear.

TL; DR: index's picture is far better than what's seen here.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEaWmJT9TfA

Well, I just got my Index today, after setting it up I decided to give ED a spin, WOW what a diffrence from the Vive, I was expecting some diffrence but I must say I am impressed and Glad I made the switch.

Hello, I have the HP reverb (latest version) and it's very nice to play with ED and HOTAS.Compared to my old oculus, WoW ... The resolution (2160x2160 in theory) is very impressive and the blacks are blacks not like Oled but black and not grey. The sound is good.No IPD adjustment (only by soft) but useless for me.This requires a minimum of 2080 Ti/super (GC) , a good proc, memory low latency to maintain 90 fps with a good resolution. Optimization takes a kinda time to do. Easy install. The controllers are not very good. I'm really happy with this headset for the moment...

Is it possible to use this helmet with glasses? I have diopter glasses and I am currently using an Oculus S helmet, which has no problem with glasses. How is it with the Valve Index helmet?

Is it possible to use this helmet with glasses? I have diopter glasses and I am currently using an Oculus S helmet, which has no problem with glasses. How is it with the Valve Index helmet?
Index is probably the most friendly headset wrt glasses, because it has adjustable eye relief. Read more here:

Last edited:
PS: Correction - I remembered that htc vive also had an adjustment valve which moved the whole setup further from the eye! :) But with index and its flat lenses you can get really close to the eyes.

EDIT: oh my god the forum censor not allowing the word for a round handle which is often used to open doors or regulate volume... srsly.

Last edited:
Top Bottom