VIDEO PROOF - the poor performance / frame skipping / lag spike / hitching / stuttering issue - NOT JUST RELATED TO POST FX SETTING!!!

Finally, I have video proof of these horrible frame-skips / lag spikes. Many people, including myself, have tolerated these for a long time, and I certainly noticed them as soon as I started playing the game several months ago. But they were never quite as bad or frequent before the new April update, and now they've become far more frequent and last longer (we're talking milliseconds here, but that is a lifetime when in VR).

Just to be clear - Up until recently (6 weeks ago), I was running a 6700k i7, and then upgraded to a 9900k with new motherboard just to be sure this issue wasn't tied to a faulty processor and motherboard on my end. Full specs at the very bottom.

This issue doesn't seem to be tied to anything in particular. I do notice that many times I get the frame skipping, I often hear or see the contact tabs in the HUD updating, and sometimes other events like when NPC voice audio come across the comms, so I presumed it was some sort of lag in data transfer within the game. But they also seem to happen more randomly, which the video shows very well.

This is NOT an isolated incident. I've spoken to many other people who play the game on a regular basis and they report the same thing. I think a lot of people find it hard to explain and don't really know what to call the problem (I certainly struggled), and there A LOT of players who also don't notice it - presumably because they may not have the hardware to yield the highest framerates, and therefore are very used to it not being as smooth as those of us more fortunate get to experience. This all makes it very hard to diagnose as I've heard many people on forums claiming everything is "buttery smooth" - but this is where it gets all subjective and impossible to communicate such and issue with all these differences of opinions.

Note - the issue is less prevalent WHEN NOT in VR - but certainly still exists. I can even see it on other people's YouTube streams. Heck, even the dev stream last week showed it on some occasions.

We now have a video with solid proof that this issue exists, and hopefully is made much more obvious and undeniable by the performance overlay I have on the screen in the video.

This needs to stop being ignored. It's been going on for years from what I'm hearing. There's simply no way it hasn't been caught by one of the many developers at Frontier, so now we have proof, please do chime in so we can get this post noticed.

Personally, I cannot play this game anymore with this issue, which is a massive shame. It was irritating before the update, but is now completely intolerable post update. I'm sure I'm not the only one. Watch the video, and tell me I'm just being dramatic! :)

My specs:
1080ti
Samsung PRO SSD
ASUS Maximus XI HERO
G-Skill Trident 3600
No overclocks!

It was pretty smooth before. I should really roll back my drivers and check that is not my problem. As between the installation of the patch and playing it I also updated my drivers... But as it looks exactly like your problem I would doubt the drivers have any impact. Also I am on a 2700x and a vega64 so totally different hardware to yours. Looks unlikely that it is our end.

I checked earlier with the tray performance tool and the framerate has tanked considerably after the update. The FX setting is an issue but even with it off and the VR settings on low with everything on low, blur off, etc. It was still dropping frames. This is the first time since the game launched that I haven't wanted to play. I hope it's fixed soon....:(

Just to confirm as well, I've checked drivers going back to 388.31 (before I found out it was an engine issue). They all perform about the same.

I checked earlier with the tray performance tool and the framerate has tanked considerably after the update. The FX setting is an issue but even with it off and the VR settings on low with everything on low, blur off, etc. It was still dropping frames. This is the first time since the game launched that I haven't wanted to play. I hope it's fixed soon....:(

Just to confirm as well, I've checked drivers going back to 388.31 (before I found out it was an engine issue). They all perform about the same.

That's very interesting and good to know. - I was also using older drivers up until last week but have found that the problem I've listed above really has nothing to do with them, unfortunately. I've tried literally everything to mitigate these frame skips but nothing has made even a slight difference.

I'm hoping more users will comment on their experience so we can get this noticed.

Oculus Rift. I have friends with Vive who can also confirm this issue. Has it affected you too?
Haven't had a chance to try it yet as my HOTAS setup is getting an overhaul. Yes I use a Rift with an overclocked Vega 56. ED normally runs great. I will rig something up tomorrow morning, give it a shot and get back to you. Can't see them fixing it until next week.

Haven't had a chance to try it yet as my HOTAS setup is getting an overhaul. Yes I use a Rift with an overclocked Vega 56. ED normally runs great. I will rig something up tomorrow morning, give it a shot and get back to you. Can't see them fixing it until next week.

Cool! Yes, please do update us on your experience. At this point, I simply want the issue to be acknowledged by the team, as opposed to demanding an immediate fix. I have a feeling this is a much deeper problem within the game engine though.

I have an OC'ed Vega 56 and a rift as well with the same issue. The problem for me is that the card isn't even clocking up under load, as if the game isn't stressing the card at all and holding back frames.

seems like everyone is making their own post instead of searching for an existing post on the tracker and confirming it.
No one has raised this specific issue before. I've searched everywhere over the web the last 3 months and I'm still amazed that no one has. That's why I've just spent hours of my time collecting data to create this post - to make it easier for those that are experiencing it to be heard over all the noise of other performance related posts.

No one has raised this specific issue before. I've searched everywhere over the web the last 3 months and I'm still amazed that no one has. That's why I've just spent hours of my time collecting data to create this post - to make it easier for those that are experiencing it to be heard over all the noise of other performance related posts.
there's like 4 or 5 posts before yours was even posted, two of which was posted on the same day the patch released. and at least 10 posted about the FX Quality issue.

there's like 4 or 5 posts before yours was even posted, two of which was posted on the same day the patch released. and at least 10 posted about the FX Quality issue.
Then please do send me a link, because I have not seen ANY mention this perennial problem with the game, and I've been searching the web longer than just since the patch was released. I've seen just one post about 'frame-skipping' in Elite, and that was back in 2015 - and the OP resolved his issue by disabling some software running in the background, apparently. So this is not the same issue.

I have reinstalled Windows 3 times, upgraded and changed drivers 8 times, changed GPU for my older 1080, unplugged everything except my keyboard, mouse, monitor and even spent another £800 on new CPU and motherboard just to be sure the problem isn't with my machine - so I think I have clear justification for creating this post. Believe me, I have plenty of other things I'd rather be doing with my time than ing about posting on forums, which I never normally do. But because I enjoy this game so much usually, I'm making a huge effort, spending hours of my time detailing the issue the best I possibly can, through the proper channels, to raise a concern that apparently a lot of people don't even notice.

After spending the past 3 weeks re-installing Elite, AMD display drivers and an Oculus Reinstall, testing various games at various settings I can say the problem must lie with Elite. All other game runs at 90fps Ultra on my RX 590 but Elite in VR is worse now than it was when I was using an R9 380.
Most Hits to FPS appear to be when other NPC or Player ships are present.
I went into a station last night (No other ships present at the time) and the FPS was ok, a few NPC ships enter the station and it turned into a slide show.
Same with nav becons, conflict zones, anywhere there are a few or lots of other ships you get massive FPS hits.
I have been mining the past few weeks as asteroid belts seem to run ok apart from the odd intermittent frame drop every few seconds.

After spending the past 3 weeks re-installing Elite, AMD display drivers and an Oculus Reinstall, testing various games at various settings I can say the problem must lie with Elite. All other game runs at 90fps Ultra on my RX 590 but Elite in VR is worse now than it was when I was using an R9 380.
I went into a station last night (No other ships present at the time) and the FPS was ok, a few NPC ships enter the station and it turned into a slide show.
Same with nav becons, conflict zones, anywhere there are a few or lots of other ships you get massive FPS hits.
I have been mining the past few weeks as asteroid belts seem to run ok apart from the odd intermittent frame drop every few seconds.

No lack of troubleshooting and testing on your end. If only Frontier did the same.

Have you reinstalled Windows and/or Elite since the patch came out last week?

I have found a way to improve things substantially: I did a full reinstall of absolutely everything this weekend. Let Windows put the default GPU drivers on during the OS reinstall and didn't mess with them. I turned off Post FX option (obviously), and just let Steam install Elite rather than on Oculus store. The game now runs a huge amount better than it did - nothing like the video I posted originally. Frame skips still occur but are less severe and I'm no longer getting poor average frame rates in busy areas now.

I also did all of the above on the PC I built for my friend this weekend too. The only difference is he's running a standard 1080 rather than the TI like I have. I can confirm his also runs as well as mine right now.

Just putting it out there for those who are desperate to play, but also have the time to do all of the above.

Have you reinstalled Windows and/or Elite since the patch came out last week?

I have found a way to improve things substantially: I did a full reinstall of absolutely everything this weekend. Let Windows put the default GPU drivers on during the OS reinstall and didn't mess with them. I turned off Post FX option (obviously), and just let Steam install Elite rather than on Oculus store. The game now runs a huge amount better than it did - nothing like the video I posted originally. Frame skips still occur but are less severe and I'm no longer getting poor average frame rates in busy areas now.

I also did all of the above on the PC I built for my friend this weekend too. The only difference is he's running a standard 1080 rather than the TI like I have. I can confirm his also runs as well as mine right now.

Just putting it out there for those who are desperate to play, but also have the time to do all of the above.

While its commendable for trying as much as you did, I would recommend holding this off until Frontier fixed the performance issues and players confirming it fixed. The issues are on all platforms.

Top Bottom