Visit the Braintrees to earn RAW material - no more blasting rocks

The new way to get raw materials is to earn these from Braintrees.

There is a huge advantage here: You can spot exactly the raw material you need
using the mineral info of the planet/moon AND the names of the different fruits on the trees.
So you know in advance what element you can get from the tree on a certain planet/moon.

Information about the brain trees:
Different "fruits" are attached to them, which drop raw material and differ as follows:
Cordycep Growth: Material "Very Common" - Grade 1 (Iron, etc.)
Polyporous Growth: Material "Common" - Grade 2 (Arsenic, etc.)
Mussidae Seed Pod: Material "Standard" - Grade 3 (Molybdenum, Cadmium, etc.)
Phloem Excretion: Material "Rare" - Grade 4 (Yttrium, Polonium, etc. or the most rare material on the planet/moon - Standard/Common)

Which materials they drop depends on what kind of materials the moon/planet owns.
In the system map view the information about the celestial body. You can see what materials can be found on it.
These materials you will get from the fruits.
If a celestial body don't own Rare Grade 4 material, the Phloem Excretion drops the Standard, Grade 3.
Relogging to main menue does not rebuild the fruit that was shot! It is said that they will renew after 2 weeks.
Or end ELITE in complete and start the program new.
So drive or fly around in ODYSEEY and look for forests of trees (there's all over the planet).
No need to visit the coordinates I provide below because they grow everywhere on the celestial body.

Here is a video I made on the subject, but in GERMAN: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6k6MpoyCDzY
But I made subtitles and video description in English too.

The following coordinates refer to ODYSEEY & HOZIZONS 4.0. In HORIZONS 3.8 you get a mark in nav panel
after scanning the celestial body.
No POI marker in ODYSEEY because trees grow in ODYSEEY all over the celestial body. So the given coords
are only a sugesstion, no need to use them - just land at some plains and find trees.
The following systems are all quite close together in the same region of the galaxy.
===============================================================
System SYNUEFE PP-M D8-7
532 light years or 9 hops (with 65/70 LY range per hop) away from the center of the bubble.
Planet 4 - surface coordinates (7.02/ 157.03) and surroundings.
The braintrees drop Polonium/Selenium/Molybdenum/Cadmium/etc
On the whole plains there are trees with different fruits, driving around is worthwhile.
Moon 5 AA - surface coordinates - none, just look around
The braintrees drop Antimony / Niobium / Cadmium / etc.

System SYNUEFE UR-B B33-1
598 light years or 11 hops (with 65/70 LY range per hop) away from the center of the bubble.
Planet 1 - surface coordinates (-29.86/ -73.23 | -29.86 / -76.31) and surroundings.
The braintrees drop Polonium / Mercury / Niobium / etc.
On the whole plains there are trees with different fruits, it's worth driving around there.
See material info for the celestial body.

System FAUST 538
577 light years or 9 hops (with 65/70 LY range per hop) away from the center of the bubble.
Moon 3 A- Surface coordinates (7.77 / 60.63 - sure but also elsewhere on the moon)
There are very large brain tree (brain tree) forests around there.
Plus lots of fumaroles and a few lava fields, all fairly close together.
The fumaroles with crystal cluster/crystal fragment throw Germanium/Tin/Arsenic/Carbon
The braintrees drop Selenium/Arsenic/Germanium/Yttrium/Niobium/Tin/Sulphur/Iron/Phosphorus
Moon 5 A - surface coordinates (-42.69 / -8.54 - certainly also elsewhere on the moon)
Also has braintrees (at the above coordinates 2 larger forests) and fumaroles.
The braintrees throw Cadmium / Ruthenium / Niobium / Chromium / Phosphorus / Zinc / Selenium

System HIP 32278
From the center of the bubble 527 light years or 9 hops (with 65/70 LY range per hop) away.
Planet A 4 - surface coordinates (-30.08/ -149.40) and surroundings.
The braintrees drop Vanadium / Manganese / Zinc / etc.

System SYNUEFE DP-Z C16-19

595 light years or 11 jumps (with 65/70 LY range per jump) away from the center of the bubble.
Planet C 4 - Surface coordinates (-18.75/ 115.29) and surroundings.
The braintrees drop Molybdenum / Cadmium / Yttrium / etc.
The entire plain there is full of trees with different fruits, it's worth driving around there.

System SYNUEFE NU-M D8-37
524 light years or 9 hops (at 65/70 LY range per hop) from the center of the bubble.
Planet A 1 - surface coordinates (63.10/ 117.09) and surroundings.
The Braintrees drop Tellurium / Mercury / Tungsten / Arsenic/ etc.
Planet A 7 A - surface coordinates (see for yourself, especially in plains).
The Braintrees drop Tin / Ruthenium / Zirconium / Molybdenum/ etc.
Planet A 7 B - surface coordinates (see for yourself, especially in plains).
The braintrees drop Yttrium / Selenium / Molybdenum /Tin /etc
There are trees with different fruits all over the plains, so driving around is worthwhile.

Five more tips:
Logging to HORIZONS in the ship can be worthwhile after the planet has been scanned. Because POI markers for trees
are displayed there and you can easily fly to them. <-- Not longer valid for HORIZONS 4.0. New HORIZONS use
same planet design like ODYSSEY.

In Odyssey, the trees grow actually all over the body, so the POI marks are probably gone because of this.
However, in Odyssey trees grow all over the planet/moon, preferred in plains.
If there are no fruits on trees because all harvested at the above coordinates or a certian plain, just fly to another place on the planet.

Sometimes you find only the cheap Polyporous Growth as fruit on all trees. I consider this as a bug.
Then drive around several miles or go back in SC and land on a different place on planet.

Sometimes you get stuck with the SRV at a braintree. Then getting out (Odyssey) and getting back into the SRV helps.
Once I had to completely log out and back in to get the SRV free again.

Turning on night vision even during the day helps to find the trees (to see in my video link above).

Put on Artemis suit and scan the trees to earn additional money by selling biological data to Vista Genomics.

Last edited:
Relogging does not rebuild the fruit that was shot! It is said that they will renew after 2 weeks.

It does if you quit to desktop, I imagine, or if you go back to supercruise, like with settlements?

Umm there are no grade 5 raws. I think that your four examples probably relate to grade 1, 2, 3 and 4 respectively, but I can't relate them to the growth types you classified.

I can say that I have harvested G4 raws from Brain treesa a month or so ago in Ody.

The game sometimes gets confused regarding Grade 4/5 raws as well. I've had many times in the shards where you start collecting a raw, just to see that material storage is only 100 (the G5 limit). I've relogged and it then shows as 150 (the G4 limit) for the same raw. Not sure if I have seen this in Odyssey though.

Umm there are no grade 5 raws. I think that your four examples probably relate to grade 1, 2, 3 and 4 respectively, but I can't relate them to the growth types you classified.

2. When it WAS new there were G5 raw materials - there are not any now.

Terekhov and Fnord Velkor, youre wrong!
If you don't get grade 5 material like polonium from braintrees, there is no polonium (or other grade 5 mat) on the planet. Take a look at the materials listed for the planet in the planet info after you've scanned the planet (or moon). OR: Is Polonium a Grade 4 material nowadays?
If there no grade 5 material exist on the planet, the PHLOEM EXCRET drops grade 4 material. Like I wrote above in my first post:
Phloem Excretion: Material Grade 5 (Yttrium, Polonium, etc. or the most rare material on the planet/moon - Grade 4 or 3)

Example for this is:
524 light years or 9 hops (at 65/70 LY range per hop) from the center of the bubble.

On this planet no G5 material exist. Best material is Mercury and Tellurium. So the PHLOEM EXCRET drops this..

Last edited:
Raw materials only go to G4. That said, great guide, braintrees are an awesome way to collect raw materials these days, personally I think they are way better than crystal shards.

Terekhov and Fnord Velkor, youre wrong!
If you don't get grade 5 material like polonium from braintrees, there is no polonium (or other grade 5 mat) on the planet. Take a look at the materials listed for the planet in the planet info after you've scanned the planet (or moon).
If there no grade 5 material exist on the planet, the PHLOEM EXCRET drops grade 4 material. Like I wrote above in my first post:
Phloem Excretion: Material Grade 5 (Yttrium, Polonium, etc. or the most rare material on the planet/moon - Grade 4 or 3)

Example for this is:

On this planet no G5 material exist. Best material is Mercury and Tellurium. So the PHLOEM EXCRET drops this..

How to make an idiot of yourself and remove any credibility to your spamming! :

raws 2.jpg

raws.jpg

Grade 5's were changed when they added the new raws - Rhenium, Lead and Boron

Last edited:
Raw materials only go to G4. That said, great guide, braintrees are an awesome way to collect raw materials these days, personally I think they are way better than crystal shards.
So nowadays Polonium is a material Grade 4? Sorry, that I mised this information. I still had in mind the things from 2015 as I started to play.

Last edited:
Is nowadays Polonium a material Grade 4? Because just yesterday I got Polonium from the PHLOEM EXCRET on the Planets I listed obove in my first post. My video (link in first post) showed it.

Maybe if you either knew what you were talking about or even read people's posts you would know that there is an occasional hiccough in the game where it will show old G5s with the 5-bam graphic icon and the 100 limit - however the limit reverts to the correct 150 even if the icon graphic still shows incorrectly.

Seriously dude, if you are going to pontificate on a subject, learn it first.

There are G5 raws, but only in one of the four separate classifications used for Raw Materials. So everyone gets to be right!

Classification 1: Geological

4 grades, determines which materials a planet has. Every planet has 3xG2, 2xG3, 1xG4. The three newer materials - Lead, Boron, Rhenium - have no Geological grade at all. Also determines what things give this material on a planet.

Classification 2: Engineering
5 grades, determines what "slot" the material takes up in an engineering blueprint. Usually either the geological grade or one higher than the geological grade depending on rarity within that grade (so e.g. Arsenic is Geological 2 but Engineering 3). Never directly displayed anywhere in-game since 3.0 but still used consistently in the recipe progressions.

Classification 3: Trading
4 grades, determines what grade the Raw Material Trader will value it at. Almost matches the Geological grade except for Selenium being G2 Geological but G4 Trading (which is why Selenium is not available through the same routes as the "others") so that the trading box is a rectangle.

Classification 4: Side Panel Display

For no apparent reason other than Frontier's like of widespread bugs and inconsistencies, the display in the cockpit isn't completely consistent with any of these, though is generally closest to the Trading one. Zirconium is Geological 2, Trading 2, and Engineering 3 ... but Side Display 4 (unless they've quietly fixed it recently)

Did you test this, so it is confirmed?

It's been tested. In fact many years ago I personally sat there in a single spot watching a grove of Horizons bio's, logging on and off every now and then to determine how long it took to respawn the mats after harvesting every single one. I did the same with Odyssey and the horizon type bio's, specifically bark mounds, and logging out and back in respawned the mats immediately, and interestingly the exact same mats on each one so they appear to be fixed to the particular bio item.

Top Bottom