Visual cues gone

After my last night session, I can't get visual cues to work. I mean, when you press a button in your hotas, keep it pressed and a cross appears showing what you do pressing certain direction in the HAT switch. Some of these actions still work (like square+direction to look into the several dashboards) but something like selecting a subsystem in a target, makes me untarget and don't work. Any ideas ? Also, if I press and hold Square to look into the dashboard for example, I deploy my weapons for a moment, sometimes I have to press the button again to "undeploy" them.

For reference, I'm using a PS4 hotas in PC

Sorry for my english :p

i am not quite sure what you are referring to there are no visual cues for a hotas that i am aware of in this game
there is however cues for the mouse which has a show do not show setting in the ship controls section of the game known as the widget
it could be your hotas ps4 overlay if you have one🤷‍♂️
perhaps you could a show a picture of a said visual cue's that i have never heard of in action

I have had a look around the internet and there does seem to be some HOTAS specific software that does this, I have seen it referenced in the Warthog HOTAS, you should check your HOTAS software for this function, while you may not have a Warthog there may be similar software functionality in your setup.

1712891370052.png

I have the T-Flight Hotas 4. The same visual cues that appear in PS4 are present in the PC Version, I didnt change any setting whatsoever. Is properly configured and working. When a press and hold a button, a cross appear in the middle of the screen, showing which direction you need to press the HAT switch for some commands to work. I cant see those now, and several combinations do not work properly.

View attachment 389228

I have the T-Flight Hotas 4. The same visual cues that appear in PS4 are present in the PC Version, I didnt change any setting whatsoever. Is properly configured and working. When a press and hold a button, a cross appear in the middle of the screen, showing which direction you need to press the HAT switch for some commands to work. I cant see those now, and several combinations do not work properly.

That's because those functions don't exist in ED, if you press and hold a button that must be a function of the HOTAS software itself, not of ED, that's why when you installed it on PC and installed the software it gives you those functions, there's probably some sort of hotkey somewhere that turns them on and off and you have accidentally pressed it. So to reiterate, those function have never existed as part of ED, they must be controlled by third party software on your PC and you need to look into that for the function.

I think they do exist. :p They only exist for the default controller binds, and the "HOTAS" there is just a controller pretending to be a HOTAS. But sorry, can't tell you how they do or don't operate since I don't use a controller for the ship part of the game. I would check in the binds though I think there may be options to turn those off.

After my last night session, I can't get visual cues to work. I mean, when you press a button in your hotas, keep it pressed and a cross appears showing what you do pressing certain direction in the HAT switch. Some of these actions still work (like square+direction to look into the several dashboards) but something like selecting a subsystem in a target, makes me untarget and don't work. Any ideas ? Also, if I press and hold Square to look into the dashboard for example, I deploy my weapons for a moment, sometimes I have to press the button again to "undeploy" them.

For reference, I'm using a PS4 hotas in PC

Sorry for my english :p
Other players are experiencing the loss of the context help screen:
…though I’m not getting the problem with my wireless Xbox controller.

i did not mean a picture of the detachable hotas i meant a screen grab of the visual cues
but anyhoo as others have said its probably the context menu🤷‍♂️
and if that is the case those are unchangable scripted default binds afaiaa

whilst talking about controls i know the sco boost engage is the tab button but if you want to change that keybinding is it changeable and if so where?
is it double bound with ui focus...............
(not that ill fit one it incurs too muchos damage for my liking)

Last edited:
they simply cant fully support every device on the market if they do correct it i would consider yourself lucky if that is the case....................
and maybe a custom bound bindings set like most hotas users have with no visual cues maybe your best alternative🤷‍♂️
but that wont have special scripted doubly bound inputs so you will have more limited input functionality and may need to use a 3rd party program like joystick gremlin or voice attack to get around that. as they have longpress macro functions etc
as metaltheurgist has said yours is a x box type ps4 type controller disguised as a hotas and those type of controllers do have visual cue specially scripted bindings
so i stand by my original statement that hotas in genreral dont have visual cue capacity.

Last edited:
Oooops, can't get in at the moment as Epic not updated yet with U18.02, but does this mean my DS4 controller won't work with the double function buttons?
Or this just Hotas? (press and hold then menu should come up for next press (left right up down)
B = Boost, Hold B then up for Cargo Hold

time will tell...................................
if console type controllers are all having default context issues ie default bindings presets that means fd will probably rescript those devices at some time...........
so do back the issues tracker if that is the case
if you have a custom binds setup however you will likely remain un effected
all of this is happning because of the need to add a boost keybinding for the sco whenever a new control function is added it may effect all users in some way
those of us who rebind there controllers may find somthing dont work as it did but they simply work around it by doing some tweaking to there custom setups if issues arise
thats why my pinned bindings guide says a patch may throw a spanner in the works
obviously gfn users may be reliant on them or fd to fix things if issues arise
custom bind users will notice the bindings files have changed to version 4.1 now as a result of this (give it a week or so then it should be safe to delete older version 4.0's if you wish but its not necessary )
@Ozric if you could edit the pinned & locked guide where its says 4.0 to 4.1 to keep it current you will have my gratitude and thanks
i see why they have bound this change to the tab ui focus default keybind which on its own pushes your view back in the chair thats logical but it should say sco boost and ui focus to reflect that change in the ship controls section methinks but ho hum

@RauloSuper enabling the context menu found in under ship miscellaneous may have a positive effect for you?

Last edited:
Hmmm, the issue report that reached confirmed status has just been closed as a duplicate without any link to what it is a duplicate of 🤷‍♂️

The earliest report is still live with only 2 confirmations (the 3rd doesn’t have reproduction details so probably doesn’t count towards the total) - I cannot see any Confirmed issue for the same problem.

Edit: the earliest report is now at Confirmed status and can be voted for 👍

Last edited:
That's because those functions don't exist in ED, if you press and hold a button that must be a function of the HOTAS software itself, not of ED, that's why when you installed it on PC and installed the software it gives you those functions, there's probably some sort of hotkey somewhere that turns them on and off and you have accidentally pressed it. So to reiterate, those function have never existed as part of ED, they must be controlled by third party software on your PC and you need to look into that for the function.
Sorry, you are wrong, those functions ARE part of the game, no software is needed for those functions to be used, I have been using a PS4 pad (Dualshock) to play ED since I switched to PC, they have ALWAYS been there since I have played.

Sorry, you are wrong, those functions ARE part of the game, no software is needed for those functions to be used, I have been using a PS4 pad (Dualshock) to play ED since I switched to PC, they have ALWAYS been there since I have played.
I remember them from when I started playing on the PS4. I never saw them on PC because they don't show by default when using HOTAS. They also didn't appear by default when I tried adding a DS4 for FSS use. It's perfectly understandable for someone who's never seen them to think they don't exist.

No point being so aggressive over a misunderstanding. Explaining how to access these functions would be much more helpful.

Sorry, you are wrong, those functions ARE part of the game
with console type controls yes they are with HOTAS type however they are not a feature afaiaa
you may be able to force them onto HOTAS type via the context menu but i am not sure about that.......................

i use an xbox controller with voice attack and have never had the " widgits visable or enabled in the context menu personally
i dont dp any circle + r1 shinanigans i use voice control for all non combat related mundane things like landing gear for eg keeping x box inputs to single function
i also dont ever suffer from controls problems as a result of that and probably because my binds are all customised personalised and backed up

Last edited:
Top Bottom